Author Topic: Cherokee Sweat Lodge?  (Read 26129 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Cherokee Sweat Lodge?
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:52:40 pm »
OK, this is odd.  I thought that the Cherokee do not have an indigenous sweat lodge tradition.

However, I just googled and found a bunch of sites claiming there is a Cherokee tradition of sweats, but that it is a different ceremony than the Lakota Inipi.  Other pages said that some Cherokee were given the ceremony by some of the Lakota. 

Can someone clarify this for me?   

I've encountered folks saying they've done sweats with someone who is Cherokee.  A lot of what they said was rather suspicious, and I'm pretty certain I know what the story is with this person, but this would help me better evaluate their claims.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Cherokee Sweat Lodge?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:50:03 am »
Their traditional ceremony is Going to the Waters. I know it involves steam and a number of other Cherokee have to be present, but beyond that couldn't tell you much more. It seems many of the sites are confusing the two. And many of the other sites are less than credible, such as Manatak and Wm Anderson's wovoca.com. Even the Soquili Center, which has been criticized in here, denounces people who confuse the two or misrepresent the sweatlodge as Cherokee.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:57 pm »
Good to know.  That's pretty much what I figured.   

I'm pretty certain the ceremony my acquaintance attended was an Inipi... or, more likely, something based on their ideas of what an Inipi is  ::)) .  She never mentioned "Going to Waters", and only said the pourer was Cherokee when I questioned her account.  Later (after I told her Inipi is Lakota, not Cherokee) the pourer mysteriously became Lakota, and the stories got even vaguer.  Funny, that.  As this person also claimed the "Cherokee (no, wait, Lakota!) teacher" advised her about Chanupa (and told her it was ok to make her own pipe and buy pipestone on eBay!!  :'( )  I think this situation is pretty clear. 

If I find out more about the individual doing this stuff I'll post it.  I pretty much broke off contact with the person buying pipestone on eBay, for obvious reasons, so I don't have much more info on her "teacher".  Only a first name and the possibility that she was fabricated by the loopy acquaintance.  If she's real and actually said and did the things I was told,  it's possible she's already been listed in another discussion, though the behaviour is so common it actually fits so many shameons out there...

Offline Jamie Hume

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:56 pm »
I realize you folks are trying to check out who is legit and who is not, but honestly, some of you seem to think First Nations peoples are locked into some kind of vortex!

I know communities that have a multitude of different forms of spirituality being practiced....not all 'original' to their lineage culture. it is the integrity of the practitionar. Ask questions of the people that are invovled and check out what they say. Where did their teachings come from? Check out the lineage of the teachings and if they really learned from that person. If they are young, they would  probably be going back to their teachers ceremonies. Check out the teachers, teachers, teacher. Don't just jump in. Look for community support aswell.

Peace!

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:00:42 pm »
Jamie
I know communities that have a multitude of different forms of spirituality being practiced....not all 'original' to their lineage culture. it is the integrity of the practitionar. Ask questions of the people that are invovled and check out what they say. Where did their teachings come from? Check out the lineage of the teachings and if they really learned from that person.   

Re: Pablo Russell
 « Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 06:30:21 pm »
Jamie
Please keep in mind that just because, someone studies with someone with integrity, is absolutely no gaurentee of 'their' integrity in the long term.

So Jamie , you yourself in the quote above have said that just having had a good teacher is no guarentee of a persons long term integrity. 

When a Spiritual practice gets brought into another community that doesn't have a number of Elders knowledgeable in this tradition , it is next to impossible for Elders to make sure things are being done properly,  because none of them know enough about that tradition or ceremony to say. Even if someone in the tribe has concerns , from what I've seen, if the traditions come from somewhere else , often all the Elders can do is say they never agreed in the first place , and they aren't really sure what to do .  I have repeatedly heard Elders voice concerns about people showing up with ceremonies from other tribes which don't belong in their culture  ;   

http://www.ammsa.com/buffalospirit/June-2000/longarms.html

On several occaisions I have seen someone who because of their character would have NEVER been given permission to lead ceremonies by their own Elders , but these people have gone and hung out with some Lakota Elder , who likes "sharing "and after a few months of training they come home to their non Lakota communtiy , and they set themselves up running ceremonies . In areas where a lot of traditions have been forcibly surpressed and lost , these people do get a following , and from what I have heard the Elders who are doing their best to maintain their own cultural traditions are often not happy about this.

I have heard of situations where Elders choose to send someone from their tribe to learn something specific from another tribe , but as far as I have heard that process of choosing what knowledge needs to be brought into the tribe , and who is selected to do this, is best decided by the Elders of the tribe who know what is needed and who they want to do this.

The whole idea of Spirituality being some kind of smorgasboard , and the more things to sample the better , seems like an assumption more common to non native values , which assume more is better , and quantity is more important than quality.  I disagree .

Getting back to the topic of Cherokee Sweat Lodges , here is what a spokesperson for the CNO had to say about Cherokee people leading Sweat Lodge ceremonies .

http://web.archive.org/web/20051207172424/users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/articles/art00001.htm

"Cherokee medicine and spiritual practices do not include tarot cards, palmistry, psychic readings or sweat-lodge ceremonies.

One may assume that anyone claiming to be a Cherokee "shaman, spiritual healer, or pipe-carrier," is equivalent to a modern day medicine show and snake-oil vendor."

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:04:54 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:36:42 pm »
I realize you folks are trying to check out who is legit and who is not, but honestly, some of you seem to think First Nations peoples are locked into some kind of vortex!

I know communities that have a multitude of different forms of spirituality being practiced....not all 'original' to their lineage culture. it is the integrity of the practitionar. Ask questions of the people that are invovled and check out what they say. Where did their teachings come from? Check out the lineage of the teachings and if they really learned from that person. If they are young, they would  probably be going back to their teachers ceremonies. Check out the teachers, teachers, teacher. Don't just jump in. Look for community support aswell.

Peace!

Jamie, as a Native person who live on my reservation and among my people. I find it that most of the people who have track down on this site are nothing but theif in the night. They come and be nice to us on the rez then head out into the great white world to save the masses. They leave the indian people behind. Why are these good people not home helping the people but only working with people who give them money. 
Mixing ceremonies should never happen if it is then you know that the people have no ideal who they are.  Cherokee have been the easiest to use because people are unsure of what the ceremonies are. Cherokee sweat never happend then to have these people use Lakota words and saying just seal the deal fakes...................
In Spirit

Offline Jamie Hume

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:30:38 pm »
Earth and Moma...you make excellent points, I hear you. I have seen that too. This is a mess. Thank you for sharing.

Peace,

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:37:48 pm »
I wish to add to this coversation some thoughts on bringing other people's ceremonies into another tribe. Ther thinking among many of my friends is that it is a form of cultural genocide. I live on a small rez in the papcific northwest. Since 1989 there has been a renewal of culture here. Every year they have the canoe journeys. People are remembering there songs and learning their languages. And yet, last year, while this went on, a tribal member from this rez, hosted a sundance. WHY? These people are not sundance people! Worse, at a ceremony honoring a great chief, the man that hosted it, said prayers in Lakota. He has no one drop of Lakota in him. His children and stepchildren have no knowledge of their own culture. If they were strong in their culture, maybe I would not be so saddened by them participating in another culture.

frederica

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:53:43 pm »
Agree with that, pan-Indianism is a problem. I can cite an example were a Lenape' Chief was recalled a few years ago. This wasn't a federally recognized Tribe, but were legitimite. He decided to have a Sun Dance. He had no idea what it was. And they have already lost most of their Culture and Language. He thought since it was coming Spring it would be a good thing. They have never been a Sun Dance people, so they just fired him. Some of the Culture is lost forever, but if people would just take the time and effort to learn their own, it would be a lot less sad.

Offline littlefeatherspiri

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
non-indian's and sweats
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 03:51:56 am »
there's a non-indian out here in arkansas who happened to be part of a drug/alcohol program as a counciler on a rez at which time he was invited to be participate in some sweats as part of the therapy. He was not taught how to conduct one, was not given permission to conduct sweats however he is out here in Arkansas conducting them and saying he was given permission. Prime example of how people go to the rez, say they want to help because of some kind of degree they have and in turn become instant guru's off the rez.

This guy is part of the Manataka bunch.

www.manataka.org/page153.html www.manataka.org/page692.html

www.blueskywaters.com/beardancehome.html

At one point they were talking about selling instant lodges made out of PVC poles! hopefully they didn't follow through with their sales.

Richard Allan with Cherokee Nation has always said sweat lodges is not part of the Cherokee Spirituality.

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:04:04 pm »
Well since Im married to a Cherokee women its true that the Cherokees never used the lodges ,there ways was always water an not no sweat lodge , But I too have meet some Cherokees that claim to use the lodge ,but never w/women .I have always been told that when we enter a lodge that there's always a women present, Since we enter the the lodge we enter back into our mothers womband when we come out we are reborn again, Like the Dine they never had SunDances now they have SUndance, from what I know some Dine Elders went to Joe ChaseingHorses and asked for help ,during the time when they was doing the relocation of the Dine, But after that it turned out that there was another Sundance led by Leonard Crow dog and than there was 2 ,Go figure ,I belive that its good for tribes to adopt different ceremonies for help ,But one must also continue w/there own ceremonies ,So Yes the Cherokee PPls use Water in there spiritual ways ...

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: non-indian's and sweats
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:11:49 pm »
Richard Allan with Cherokee Nation has always said sweat lodges is not part of the Cherokee Spirituality.
There is a Cherokee medicine man up on a hill above Tahlequah who uses sweatlodge as part of his healing practice; he gets a lot of people who come to him for help. Maybe he didn't get the memorandum.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »
Was the person who ran the lodge named Sharon?

No, her name was, I kid you not, "Rainbow."  (Yeah, that was another warning sign. But hey, people have all kinds of names... um...)

This woman was operating in the Seattle area.  Might be still.  Last week I heard from someone with more info on her - it was definitely a pay to pray deal, and my contact is skeptical that this "Rainbow" was even Cherokee. Whatever she is, she's doing ceremonies for white people for a fee. My contact doesn't know if "Rainbow" is still in the Seattle outskirts as my contact has left the area herself.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:05:15 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:50:01 pm »
and of course, she's got to claim Cherokee.

Of course. *sigh* Feel free to pass along any info. I don't think I've heard of this one. I have a friend who was duped by one of the fake Abenaki guys, but I don't recall hearing about a Sharon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:06:12 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline mysticknt

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 10:36:10 am »
please excuse my ignorance on this matter but i am trying to learn,  and the only  way to learn is to listen to those who know. I am in the UK and we have lots of shame-ons here and i am trying in my small way to expose them . the trouble here is we have too many fluffies who will believe any old rubbish, ie they believe in charmed ,buffy and sabrina.  So if they are told sweats are good for them no matter what path they walk they will jump at the chance.
back to the question
which tribes do sweats or is it just the Lakota

many thanks  Graham