Author Topic: Tansi  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Tansi
« on: November 15, 2005, 06:51:21 pm »
Hello All!

I am a Metis man, living in the Metis community of Green Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada.

My wife, Rose, and I continue to pick and use the plants that have been used Traditionally, in our Cree and Metis Culture.  We also attend the International Gatherings of Traditional Medicines and Healing that have been hosted, annually,  by First Nation communitiies, in Saskatchewan.

We have been working on pursuing a concept related to the creation of an industry, which uses Non Timber Forest Products, such as many of our Traditionally used plants, and which we believe may be beneficial in developing economic development for our isolated northern communities.

Believing in "Traditional Values in a Modern Society," we have worked toward developing "bridges" between the Native and Non Native communities, as our Metis ancestors did.

I have been looking in on this site and like the idea!

Thank you!
Ric

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tansi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:48:38 pm »
Hi Ric,

Do you have a website for this non timber forest products idea you have? I am very interested in this idea. I live in western Washington State and collect plants from the Olympic Mountain area. I am always saddened when I see the clearcuts and wonder why they cannot see the value of the land.

Ric Richardson

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 12:01:41 am »
Tansi;

We do not yet have a website, for NTFP's but there is an established NTFP center, in The Pas, Manitoba.  Their website is www.nfdc.ca and they are the Northern Forest Diversification Center.

We are currently attempting to establish a NTFP industry, in Saskatchewan and have been sharing information with Manitoba.  As well, the Northern Forest Diversification Center and Royal Roads University, in B.C. have been working on developing a national network for Non Timber Forest Products.

The sustainable use of our Boreal forests is a serious concern for some of us, but the initial expense is such that we are attempting to gain governmental support for these initiatives.  We believe that these initiatives will not only provide economic benefits to our communities, but will also help to ensure that Cultural and Traditional Knowledge will be strengthened, if our people could learn about our Culture while providing for their economic needs.

As Rose and I were at the Chelsea Flower Show, in London, England earlier this year, you may also wish to view the website which shows the Boreal Forest Show Garden, which we were participants in.  It is at www.taigarescue.org/chelsea

Our own website www.culturalnative.com does not focus on NTFP's but does speak about eco-tourism, which is one aspect of Non Timber Forest Products, which is considered a "non-consumptive" use of our forest resources.

Hope to hear from you again!
Ric

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 05:01:46 am »
Thanks for the webpages. They are all interesting. I wish more people would inderstand the value of forests. There are so many foods and medicines in them. I am learning the trafitional herbs for this area and also how to identify mushrooms.