Author Topic: Hello Forum!  (Read 14455 times)

Offline Litsehimmel

Re: Hello Forum!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 09:49:33 am »
Guess it depends on the culture. People who have a whale in their backyard pond are probably against eating sushi as well  ::)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:43 pm »
I always wonder what people really think about us as Native people,
we try and tell people who we are really are but they say oh you lost your
culture or something dumb.
Our culture is very much alive and well and we have defind who we are
because the ideal people have of us is so strange. we have to get the truth out
there. Dont worry we only eat puppies ;D
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
Actually, Litsehimmel, there are coastal tribes who eat whale. The whale hunt is a ceremony for them.

Autumn

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »
Some people are vegetarian (I’m not), some people eat sushi (I don’t), some people eat kutti pi http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061121-goat-video.html (no thanks!), some people eat insects, some people eat rats, and on and on it goes.  Food gives us life and, at the same time, so many of the foods in our grocery stores today are devoid of life and it seems like the more we eat, the less we feel that vital life force. 

"Food is often the subject of taboo or disgust because it is internalized. Any revulsion we have for the food is magnified by the thought it will become part of us," said Carole Counihan, an ethnographer at Millersville University in Pennsylvania. Counihan studies the relationship between food, culture, and gender and is author of Around the Tuscan Table: Food, Family, and Gender in Twentieth Century Florence.

And, this is a biggie for me (so sorry, Earth):

Food is a window into culture, and in many ways our comments on what other people eat says more about us than them, Counihan said.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0419_040419_TVfoodtaboo.html

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 04:41:24 pm »
I like that and i do believe that
It is why I said it because these people who want to
pretend to be us dont really know about us.
One day i will tell you why we eat dogs but not on
public form
In Spirit

Offline Litsehimmel

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »
@all ...

Well, although you won't catch me dumping the family pooch into the cooking pot (even though sometimes I'm sorely tempted) people who are dead set against it should realize that they eat dog too. And so does their own pet dog or cat, basically turning them into cannibals. During the process of 'rendering' - which is converting protein unfit for human consumption into cattle and pet feed - euthanized dogs and cats are used as well. So ...

And I know about cultural differences, and how most city folk view cultural habits. We Frisians - as a cultural group genetically different from the average Dutch person, with our own language and culture - encounter much objections against the annual tradition of ljipaai sykjen which means finding the first egg of the Northern Lapwing or Peewit. This cultural phenomenon is now blamed for the drastic reduction of Northern Lapwings in this country, while in actual fact it has nothing or very little to do with it. People looking for these nests usually mark them so they can follow the progress and development of the chicks, as well as warn farmers.
However, soft-hearted and citified Dutch people have created such a storm around this Frisian cultural event - basically because they just don't understand the challenge and thrill of finding that year's first egg, and later caring for these nests - that Dutch law is trying to have it abolished. Us Frisians are flabbergasted, but hey, we're also considered to be the 'primitive numbnuts' of the nation. We poach, eat hare, goose, slaughter our own chickens, etc. Primitive and barbarian compared to the dandies buying their food all pre-wrapped and devoid of any sign of where it originally came from.

I grew up in South America (Surinam) and as my best friend was a Lokono indian, for years I spent several weeks each summer in his village, I've eaten stuff that would make most folk shudder. It seemed pretty natural to me then. For me, the most important distinction between human(e) and barbaric is the manner in which animals are treated. If I see somebody from Korea slowly strangeling a dog "because it enhances the flavor" my blood will start boiling. I also refuse to eat lobster and 'frog legs' because of the manner in which they are killed. I have my morals and values and will stick to them no matter what. Having said that, I don't flinch when chopping off a chicken's head or butchering a still-born calf. And if I hit a hare or partridge on the road, I'll first see if I can help it and save it. If not, and it's fit for consumption, it comes along to my kitchen. It's something city folk cannot or will not understand. The fine line and balance between taking care of nature and letting nature help take care of you.

Funniest thing ... most of the citified people accusing us of being barbarians are the same people who ensure that over 75% of cattle in The Netherlands never see the light of day (stuffed together is far more economical) and that chickens are flayed alive because the demand for chicken is so high that 'humane slaughter' has been moved to the back burner because it's too expensive.

LH

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
Actually, those of us who raise some at least some of our own food and get the rest from local farmers, and who don't eat fast food or processed food, are not eating random animals. Please don't assume you know how we all live, Litse.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:10:46 pm by Kathryn »

Offline Litsehimmel

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 07:59:06 am »
Kathryn ...

I wasn't criticizing people on this forum, just explaining how my culture functions and how the general urban population in our country views us. The problem is that, in describing or discussing issues, one cannot escape the tendency to generalize and in doing so inadvertently drag people into the equation who should not be a part of it to start with.

I apologize if my posting has insulted you, as that definitely was not my intention. Maybe I should've been more clear in stating that this was my personal opinion as well as how most urban people in my country view us. And by no means did I mean to imply that my way is the best way, either. We all follow our own road to wherever we're going. It's not up to me to criticize another person's journey.

LH

Autumn

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:49 pm »
My heart is pumping a mile a minute as I read the current posts on LH's and my thread.  I am so sorry about any hurt feelings and I am not sure where we will go from here.  I know this forum has been in existence for a long, long time and that many people who have been exposed here have attempted to derail the forum, and so far have not succeeded.   

I hope we can all take a deep breath and re-focus our efforts.  I thank you so much, Litsehimmel, for all you have brought to the forum and hope that you will continue to contribute. 

P.S.:  I can't translate your Facebook page from Dutch to English for some reason, but I have the feeling that you took a lot of hard knocks for pointing out KC's lies.