Author Topic: Matt_Bowerman  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Matt_Bowerman

Matt_Bowerman
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:42:06 am »
Greetings to the list,
I found this list while reading up on ‘plastic medicine men’.  I live and work in Houston, Texas.  I am a common mutt, being: Cherokee, Lenape, German, English, Welsh, and Norman.  I have always been interested in my family history.  I have had the misfortune to run into some ‘plastic shamans’ before from the ‘Swiftdeer’ school in my early twenties, but knew enough to steer clear of them once they showed divergence from traditional teachings.  I had the honor of sitting in some Inip ceremonies in the early 1990’s while in San Diego, these were run by men from Pine Ridge, I do not remember their names now, but I know they did not charge anything.  Most in attendance provided unsolicited donations to pay for the travel, and food.  While I can’t call myself an Indian, I can support groups like this. I do not know if I qualify as a ‘want-to-be’, or not,   I have always wished to be involved, but never felt like my help was wanted because I did not grow up on a reservation, or carry a tribal membership card.  I want my children to know about their Cherokee heritage that they get from both myself and their mother, but it is hard when you are not tribal members.  There are so many frauds out here willing to take us for a ride.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.  

Respectfully,

Matthew Bowerman    
Matthew Bowerman
Houston, Texas, USA