Author Topic: Someone else in the UK!  (Read 9602 times)

Offline sox

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • My Music
Someone else in the UK!
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:26:44 pm »
Se:kon

My name is bobby and I have just joined the forum. I am a mixed blood Mohawk from Toronto and am looking forward to taking part in what the NAFPS is all about. I've been a bit p*ssed off by the cultural theft for a long time now and I'm glad to have found some like minded people to chat with.
As Mr. Caroll has discovered, the European idea of what Native culture and spirituality are about has been mostly gleaned from movies and probably the odd documentary on Discovery Channel.... (I tried to get to the lectures but they were a bit far from London).  I need to learn even more so that I can present a proper discussion when the subject comes up over here....
I recently attended a PowWow here in the UK was a bit dismayed by what I saw. Lots of white people dressing up and playing "NDN"....( I wonder if, somewhere in Africa, there's a group of Masai wearing kilts and playing bagpipes dancing around swords.... and how the British reaction to it would be if there was....) There was no misappropriation of NDN beliefs or spirituality that I witnessed, but it was still disconcerting... I wonder what other NDN's think about it.

And...where were these "supporters" on the Leonard Peltier march a couple of weeks ago?

O:nen

bobby
"Trust me, I'm a professional"