Author Topic: Let me introduce myself  (Read 6984 times)

White Woman

Let me introduce myself
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:58:52 am »
My great grandmother was full blooded Native American.  She lived on the Merrimac River in S. Berwick, Maine along with other Bennetts and Nasons. I cannot be sure of the tribe just yet, due to record loss, but I am on a continuing quest for my heritage. You may laugh, but I have always related to the Native American in my blood more than my European blood. I have great reverance for Mother Earth and all Life forms.

I am an Artist. Every mark I make is deeply connected to my Soul and Mother Nature. I speak through my art. Actually, I tell stories through my art. In 2001, I presented a 4-part story, Rite of Passage. Someday soon, it will be out there for all to see. Looking Back, Buffalo Calf Woman, Shaman's Death and Field of Plenty shed light on the controversial issues of exploitation. I hope you will view my story, coming soon. This work is not for sale, as it is educational.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Let me introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
From what I could find, the Pennacook mostly lived in that area. That makes it a bit strange you have so much emotion tied up in Lakota sacred rites like we saw in that other thread.

Obviously we don't know you very well, at least not yet. But it's often common for people with ancestry from lesser known (to white America) tribes to latch onto the best known tribes like the Lakota as kind of a stand in for all Native people.

Again, I only know what I've seen so far, so my first thoughts might be completely off. But if what I say has any truth for you, hopefully you will give it some thought. There's a thread on links and advice for PODIAs (People of Distant Indian Ancestry) under Non Frauds you might be interested in.

Contrary to what you seemed to think in that other thread, we bear no hostility or grudge towards either whites or those trying to connect with distant blood ties. (See our welcome message Who We Are.) In fact we sympathize and try to help, since many exploiters and would be "tribes" target them and often abuse them terribly.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:55:09 am »
Hi and welcome
just a question?
If it is your great grandma how do you not know her?
Plus have you not looked at the census in your area?
Seems really strange
In Spirit

Offline taraverti

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »
Hi and welcome
just a question?
If it is your great grandma how do you not know her?
Plus have you not looked at the census in your area?
Seems really strange

Earth, that is something I always wondered. Why don't people know these great grandmothers?

I am 55 years old, I remember two of my four great grandmothers. One was of Native decent, one was totally European. They both had their influence. They both contributed to who I am today.

Great grandmothers are not all that distant.

Nona 

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:26:34 am »
I know my greats and their parents. It is strange
In Spirit

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:58:43 pm »
Hmmmm I too know my ancestors and grandmothers and gradfathers as , But I dont judge ,but you need to do some research on your linage
Chiefytiger

Offline MatoSiWin

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:47 pm »
Welcome WW... but just out of curiousity, and maybe I just misunderstood so forgive me if I did.  BUT... if the NDN in your family was a great grandmother that you did not grow up with... why do you identify with the NDN part?  I'm a mixed-blood myself and did not know my biological family from my mother's side due to a closed adoption, so I am not judging anyone, but I actually grew up with NDNs who were part of the same people that my biological maternal grandfather was.  I just can't imagine relating to the Indian way if I had not been brought up by these people and taught the ways directly by them.  My mother is more NDN than I am (she's half), but was brought up by white people and did not have the influence of any NDNs, therefore she does not identify with her NDN heritage (even though she doesn't "look" white), but she will state that she is "half Indian".  I think there is a difference between acknowledging NDN BQ and identifying as NDN, but I could be mistaken, or maybe that depends on each person's personal beliefs.  I'm not sure.

I guess I'm just confused.  What made you decide to identify with that part of your heritage?  Or maybe you were raised by other NDN relatives?  I'm not sure, and don't want to just assume anything, but it's always something I wonder about when people do that.
Again, I mean no offense and I am not attacking or judging anyone... just curious, that's all :)

Respectfully,
MSW

frederica

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:05:08 pm »
I believe she left rather quickly.

Offline MatoSiWin

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:12:00 am »
Ahhh, OK. :)