Author Topic: Introduction.  (Read 13695 times)

Offline Kevin

Re: Introduction.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 02:02:49 am »
Jill, the best way to skin a squirrel is to pinch up some of the skin on the back, take your  knife, or in your case your piece of flint and slice that pinch about an inch across. then you dig your fore and middle finger of each hand under the skin so you get hold of it, then you pull your arms apart - hold that little rascal up close to your chest and pull your arms apart hard - that opens the skin across the back and down onto the belly, leaving another strip on the bottom that you cut. then you pull some more, you get the skin off enough so you can grab it with your hands then keep peeling it off, about like peeling off a tight sock. The skin comes all the way off, up to the neck and paws on the front, to the tail and hind paws on the back. Break them little joints bending them backwards, cut them off, the tail and the head. You can do stuff with squirrel skin but who wants to fool with such a tiny bit? Throw that off for the coyotes and possums and bugs, or you could keep the tail for decoration. Then you lay that little feller on a log and open him up from the rectum all the way up to his neck and scoop out the guts, saving what internal organs you want. Hot sauce on a  fresh squirrel heart is mighty tasty by the way.  Once opened, you can if you want dig your 2 fingers in at the top of the ribs, grip his little shoulders and make a snapping motion hard and fast out and away from you, slinging the guts out for the coyotes that way, but you have to be strong so I suggest you scoop the guts. If you are going to act like ancestors, you wont gut him, you'll take him him, chop him up guts and all and then into the cook pot. Personally, I use a steel knife and wouldn't mess around with sharp rocks but to each his own. I hope this helps - some say lemon juice on raw heart meat is good too, but I've never tried it. Bon appetit!

Offline Jill

• Old crone
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:29:42 am »
Thanks, Kevin,

Great info!

Cheers, Jill
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground.........and miss!

Offline Kevin

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 02:41:53 pm »
hey there again, Jill - you mentioned you didn't think anyone here could actually help you with neolithic crafts. I tell ya', I've seen some of them Indian lawyers, educators, doctors, editors, business people standing in  line at the grocery stores and clothing stores and hardware stores and they seemed to be pretty darn content to be there. No Mam'!  they didn't impress me as the kind that would take a liking to gutting squirrels and rabbits and wearing raw hides to work and  knapping flint.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 05:09:19 pm »
they didn't impress me as the kind that would take a liking to gutting squirrels and rabbits and wearing raw hides to work and  knapping flint.

What?! Not even the Office Shaman?! Oh, right, he used post-its for his affirmations. Guess he's not a real traditional then.

;-)

frederica

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 06:09:59 pm »
Ummmm, guess that leaves out Vine Deloria Jr, Suzan Harjo, Elosise Cobell. Bea Medicine, Heneretta Mann and on and on. Interesting perspective.

Offline Jill

• Old crone
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 09:06:45 am »
Hi All,

Ok, you've officially lost me in the 'name game' there. I'm not very au fait with the whole thing yet, I'm trying, honest! :)

I'm assuming that these are all folks you've 'outed' as frauds?

(Actually, I can knap flint, reasonably well.)

Funny story for you. The first year we worked for The Riverside Project there were only four of us, our leader, (very experienced) an older member (also experienced) my son, and myself (total innocents) :)

I had brought along a haunch of farmed Wild boar to cook, using a technique from a book called Prehistoric Cookery. I mixed a stiff flour and water dough and enclosed the meat in it, then set it on the embers to cook. When I came to turn it, the dough had welded itself to the wood and was sagging like Salvador Dali painting! We were all falling about laughing at this strange looking object! When we went bach to the archaeologist's campsite that evening I took the half-cooked thing with me and finished it in the camp oven! ;)

I carved it with flint the next day (carving my fingers too, I say in haste!) It tasted great and we had it in sandwiches. Not quite Neolithic, but wasn't bad for a first try!

Cheers, Jill

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:20:57 am by Jill »
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground.........and miss!

Offline Kevin

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:27:52 pm »
Dances With Badgers Rez Recipe:

Rez Dogs on a stick:

Open that last can of spam,  slice about 1/3rd of it length ways, smear it with lard real good, roll it in some of them powdered eggs, jam a stick on it then hit it with a blow torch. YUM! YUM! For festive occasions, you can paint the stick a primary color of  red, white, black or yellow! I suppose if one wanted to  be truly old fashioned, one could roast the rez dog over a fire.

Say! I've heard of that Vine Deloria fellow - don't quote me Jill on this but I believe he was a former coach of that Washington Redskins professional athletics team. I could be wrong though..... ciao!!

frederica

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 01:45:51 pm »
Kevin, I told you to stop, I don't know your agenda, but it is inappropiate here. Maybe you can find a nice chat room somewhere.  This is your second warning.  Don't hijack any threads with your inappropiate babble.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:59:43 pm by frederica »