Author Topic: New here  (Read 3205 times)

Offline naparyaq

New here
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:23:37 am »
I'm new as a member. I've been reading the forum for awhile. I'd like to post, so here I am.

I should have done this earlier. Didn't think of it. Here are my beliefs:
1. I believe that individuals have the right to choose religion, spirituality and associated activities in keeping with their belief system. With that right, comes the liability of consequences - whatever that may be  - including a spanking, condemnation, scorn and sanction, when it takes one outside of courtesy, respect and dignity. In any culture, any religion.

2. When spirituality gets rolled into financial gain, I believe it to be perverted and corrupt, serving no higher purpose, and dangerous.
Secondary to that, cultural appropriation of indigneous stuff, of a spiritual nature or not, can't be tolerated. This is not to be confused with appreciation, advocacy and perpetuation. I define it as devisive taking away from its origins, absorbing it, redefining it, and creating a different thing inconsistent with the origin. Cultures are not stagnant - cultural evolution and adaptation happens, but only as the exclusive domain of, and defined by, its traditional originators.

3. I believe that there is no such thing as 'Native American Spirituality'. That's like saying European Spirituality or Asian Spirituality; absolutely meaningless. It's some kind of generic homogenization of cultural spirituality and tradition, lacking in context and origin, and steals identity. Eskimos don't share traditions of Lakota pipes; Navajos don't have ceremonies honoring harbor seals and whales. I'm fairly certain that Chickasaw don't incorporate polar bear teeth into ritual objects and I'm dead sure that there are no caribou hairs on anything Hopi. Individual indigenous cultures' spiritual beliefs are varied and specific to time and place. Having said that, I think there are discrete commonalities to the societies and social values among North American tribes, especially in neighboring groups. For international Eskimos across the Arctic circumpolar area, there are consistent beliefs, lifeways, language, regardless of national borders.

4. I believe that religion and spirituality are not interchangable concepts. I believe that there is a difference. Spirituality is part of everyday life - religion is the observation and practice of ritual.

The bottom line: if you can't say what you do straight out and honestly, without hiding anything, something's wrong. Across the globe, honesty is a traditional value.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:51:59 am by naparyaq »

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:03:27 am »
Howdy! :D   Steve