Author Topic: Introduction from Olderthandirt  (Read 11424 times)

Offline Olderthandirt

Introduction from Olderthandirt
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:49:17 am »
Hello,

I am 61 and from the Auburn, WA, area.  My beloved husband, Michael, of 36 yrs crossed over recently.  Michael was Siksika (His Grandmother was from Lethbridge, Alberta) and German. 

My father went to his grave thinking he was Cherokee/Irish, however, 7 years ago, I found some family records and his mother was simply listed as "Indian."  Sadly, I haven't a clue.

There are no living family members from Michael's family nor mine and we had no children.

I use Olderthandirt as a nic because in the last year of Michael's fight to survive stomach cancer, we used to tease each other about getting old.  I'd say I am older than dirt and he would laughingly reply, "Hah!  I invented dirt!!"

I am a retired horse trainer, and am currently healing from a severe, near fatal beating that occured when I got home from a powwow & discovered someone in my garage.  But, I'm a tough old bird and will definitely make it through these challenges.

Karen

~T Blue~

"Why, oh WHY didn't life's major problems happen when I was 18 and knew it all?"

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Introduction from Olderthandirt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:02 am »
Hi Karen,

I live in Kitsap County, not so far from you. How do you like our lovely weather??

Offline Olderthandirt

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:07:51 pm »
Hi Debbie,

Right at the moment, my reply would be........BRRRRRRRRR!!  It is only 11 degrees and it is starting to snow again.  Temp is suppose to get down in the minus range.

Hey!  I know quite a few folks in the Silverdale, Poulsbo, Kingston areas.

Given our latest radical weather extremes I hope you don't freeze, blow away or float away.

Karen
~T Blue~

"Why, oh WHY didn't life's major problems happen when I was 18 and knew it all?"

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:45:57 pm »
Well it's a balmy 28 in Suquamish. I have wood in my stove and my husband will drive me into Poulsbo later. Do you know the McGrady's? They are having a going away party for them on Sunday at Little Boston.

Offline Olderthandirt

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:58:15 am »
Yes, I know Claudia & Tony.   (and Adria & Cliff)

Hey!!  Where are they going?  I have SO been out of the "loop" since working through grief and the recent beating.   I, just of lately, have been able to start walking once again.  I cannot drive nor get out to powwows.  Geeze, NOBODY told me!!!  (eeeuuuwww, that sounds like a whine!)

~T Blue~

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:47:02 am »
Adria and Cliff moved to Belcourt, ND where he is teaching plumbing at the tribe's community college. Tony retired and so they bought a house in Belcourt and are moving on the 5th.

Offline nahualqo

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:54:11 am »
Dear Karen.

I am Siksika and old too. I am sad to hear your beloved husband cross over. I come from the Browning Reservation. When I was young there was a medicine person, an old man that cured all sorts of cancer. My mother and grandfather died of cancer. I will say a prayer for you. Being alone is not good for healing, I hope you have someone to look in on you. I lived in Washington for a long while when I was young. My father was one of the first Indians accepted into Washington State Medical School.

Hello,

I am 61 and from the Auburn, WA, area.  My beloved husband, Michael, of 36 yrs crossed over recently.  Michael was Siksika (His Grandmother was from Lethbridge, Alberta) and German. 

My father went to his grave thinking he was Cherokee/Irish, however, 7 years ago, I found some family records and his mother was simply listed as "Indian."  Sadly, I haven't a clue.

There are no living family members from Michael's family nor mine and we had no children.

I use Olderthandirt as a nic because in the last year of Michael's fight to survive stomach cancer, we used to tease each other about getting old.  I'd say I am older than dirt and he would laughingly reply, "Hah!  I invented dirt!!"

I am a retired horse trainer, and am currently healing from a severe, near fatal beating that occured when I got home from a powwow & discovered someone in my garage.  But, I'm a tough old bird and will definitely make it through these challenges.

Karen

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:16:39 am »
hello olderthandirt. i so love your nicname lol. sounds like i feel most days.
im so sorry you are going through so much right now. did the person(s) who assaulted you in your garage get caught and are you ok??????????????