Author Topic: NAGA (Native American Guardians Association)  (Read 20359 times)

Offline cowlishaw

• The more I learn, the less I know!
NAGA (Native American Guardians Association)
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:36:20 pm »
I’ve been embroiled with a local Native Mascot fight to unseat the Cedar High Redmen Mascot in Cedar City, Utah. We have a petition live:

http://tinyurl.com/redmenmascot

And there is a dominant majority of non-natives battling real natives (mostly Paiute) over this mascot change. Low and behold when the waters begin to settle this out of state NAGA Group - Native American Guardians Association steps into the local affairs in our community and has managed to stir the pot once again and agitate this local conflict dividing the town. They look suspect to me but I need more eyes on this org and research is needed because the scope of info about this group is limited.

NAGA: http://naguardians.org/

Any help is appreciated. They are traveling to our state for a meeting they set up at the local high school where this battle is the singularity. I’m very disheartened by their efforts to try and nuetralize the opposition that is advocating for a mascot change from Redmen to something else!

Nate
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:25:25 pm by educatedindian »

Piff

Cowlishaw, do you happen to know the name of this man:

One man was particularly vocal in his defense of Native mascots, at times shouting at Native Americans speaking against mascots — he was a founder of the Native American Guardians Association, a group of Native Americans and allies that claims to preserve the positive imagery of Native mascots.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/tara-houska/get-off-the-stage-squaw-s_b_8901086.html

There are four men currently on their "leadership team": http://naguardians.org/board.html

About one of the men:

Andre Billeaudeaux, who worked with many Native American tribes during his years in the Coast Guard and has written a book “How the Redskins Got Their Name,” testified that the name comes from the former practice of many tribes — including local ones — of applying sacred red paint to their skin before battle.

“Tribes of this region called themselves Redskins,” Billeaudeaux said. “Redskins has many uses, and can be used in a derogatory way, but not from a native’s perspective. This is who they are. This is what they did. The word Redskin is not a racial slur, and Native Americans support it as a name for sports teams.”

https://www.theintell.com/news/20190107/term-redskin-not-racist-neshaminy-witness-testifies

Billeaudeaux is white and lives outside of Washington, D.C.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/01/redskins_name_draws_passionate.html

I wonder where NAGA gets their money.

Piff

Re: I’m Currently Battling With Naga (Native American Guardians Association)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:34 am »
More on Andre Billeaudeaux:

Neshaminy’s first witness was M. Andre Billeaudeaux, the Virginia-based executive director of a group called the Native American Guardians Association and the author of a children’s book called How the Redskins Got Their Name. Billeaudeaux said he has testified frequently on behalf of districts with American Indian nicknames.

Billeaudeaux, a commentator with CNS News, founded by conservative writer L. Brent Bozell, said that the majority of American Indians are not offended by team nicknames or mascots and that the name honors a tradition of warriors wearing red paint and clay into battle.

http://www.philly.com/education/neshaminy-school-district-redskins-pennsylvania-human-relations-commission-hearing-20190107.html

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:34:10 am »
"Most Indians are well assimilated Americans who love their country." From the NAGA website in a statement as to why keeping racist mascots benefits Native Americans. NAGA promotes and advocates for colonization by white people and refer to Native American political activists who have and continue to fight for the rights of their people as "criminals" and paints them to be domestic terrorists. NAGA says the best way to respond to those who would want to destroy your culture is to listen to them and respond in a soft, respectful voice even if you don't agree with them or find their words worthless. NAGA makes the claim that without mascots, there would be no culture and no tradition and removing mascots will lead to the genocide of Native and Indigenous Peoples (fear-mongering and factually false!).

What is my source? Their website. ~ Stephanie Flores, Cedar City, Utah.

Offline cowlishaw

Offline Sparks

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:46:51 pm »
The guy pushing Naga: https://deadspin.com/is-the-redskins-vip-indian-defender-a-fake-indian-1642991295

That article is quoted in full (except the last paragraph) in the first post (2014) in this thread:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4472.0
[Mark Yancy AKA Mark Suzuki AKA Mark Yazzie AKA Mark One Wolf]

Mark Yancy also mentioned in this thread:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4475.0

Offline Sparks

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 01:34:41 am »
This is some kind of annual report that one of the persons mentioned are supposed to log in and confirm or make changes. On February 1, 2019 I saw the 2018 report. Today (February 2, 2019) it was changed to 2019 and evidently signed today. I managed to copy the content and cite it for what it's worth:

Home | Site Map | About SCC | Contact SCC | Privacy Policy
Review the corporation details below, and update any information as necessary.
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
The Principal Office address on file is listed below. Please change the address to reflect current information.
Principal Office Address
Help
NAGA *
P.O. BOX 1813
ANNANDALE *
United States of America *
Virginia *
22003 *

Officer Director Name Address Title

MAR? BEASLEY
1205C SOUTH PEACHTREE RD
COOLIDGE AZ 85128
PRES/DIR

ANDRE BILLEAUDEAUX
P.O. BOX 1813
ANNANDALE VA 22003?9998
DIRECTOR

WILLIAM BROTHERTON
2340 FM 407 STE 200
HIGHLAND VILLAGE TX 75077
DIRECTOR

WALTER BROWN
P.O. BOX 397
COURTLAND VA 23857
DIRECTOR

EUNICE DAVIDSON
1004 13TH ST SE
DEVILS LA?E ND 58301
DIRECTOR

Directors and Principal Officers
Information on record in the Clerk's Office of the Commission is listed below. If no information is listed or a change to the information is needed, the annual report must be submitted on a paper annual report form that has been furnished by the Commission.
This Annual Report must be signed by a director or principal officer listed in this report.
Select your name in the Printed Name field, then type your name in the Signature field below as your electronic signature.
I affirm that the information contained in this electronic report is accurate and complete as of the date below and that I am legally authorized to sign this report.
It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to sign a document, which includes this electronic record, that is false in any material respect with the intent that the document be delivered to the Commission for filing.
Help

MAR? YELLOWHORSE BEASLEY PRES/DIR 2/2/2019
Printed Name Title Signature (must match printed name) Date
Cancel Submit Filing
Screen ID: e2200
Alert to business entities regarding mailings from VIRGINIA COUNCIL FOR CORPORATIONS or U.S. BUSINESS SERVICES is available from the Bulletin Archive link of the
Clerk's Office website.
SCC eFile
2019 Annual Report Help
Corporation Name: NATIVE AMERICAN GUARDIANS ASSOCIATION
Entity Type: Corporation
SCC ID: 08169617 Due Date: 4/30/2019
VA Registered Agent Name and Address: Stock Information:
JENNIFER B BAUMGARTNER Class Authorized
4010 UNIVERSITY DR, SECOND FL
FAIRFAX VA
Registered Agent Qualification: DIRECTOR
City or County of VA Registered Office:
FAIRFAX CITY (FILED IN FAIRFAX COUNTY)
State or Country of Incorporation: VA
Supported Browsers
Need additional information? Contact sccinfo@scc.virginia.gov Website questions? Contact: webmaster@scc.virginia.gov
: (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Build #: 1.0.0.31267
YELLOWHORSE
SCC eFile > Entity Search > Entity Details > Annual Report Login | Create an Account
SCC eFile
SCC eFile Home Page
Check Name
Distinguishability
Business Entity Search
Certificate Verification
FAQs
Contact Us
Give Us Feedback
Business Entities
UCC or Tax Liens
Court Services
Additional Services
Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader Microsoft Office Online Applications

[This action requires a login.]

Piff found some of the information elsewhere, above there are more names.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 01:45:31 am »
This is some kind of annual report that one of the persons mentioned are supposed to log in and confirm or make changes. On February 1, 2019 I saw the 2018 report. Today (February 2, 2019) it was changed to 2019 and evidently signed today. I managed to copy the content and cite it for what it's worth:

I copied and pasted and posted. Somehow, paragraphs near the top were moved to near the bottom. If you need to cite this stuff, better click the link and copy from the original.

And a few letters were replaced with question marks, I have no idea why.

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 07:24:17 pm »
I’ll have a video with Naga’s public presentation live-streamed this weekend sometime and they seemed to suggest Mark Twinkie Wolf was apart of the org! One of their minions, Sue Veldkamp, is denying that Mark Twinkie Wolf has anything to do with NAGA but it sure did seem like Naga acknowledged him at their Cedar High Redmens Mascot. They act offended at the word mascot and deny it. These guys simply seem to reverse the truth and flag out deny it by reversing roles. My general assumption is they are flat out pushing an assimilation agenda and maybe NAGA is a corporate nonprofit...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:40:03 pm by educatedindian »

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 10:32:22 pm »
I will not be surprised if Naga turns out to be some corporate nonprofit and those natives were paid to be on that board!? Andre (the professor) didn’t even know the highshool name and kept referring to the school as the “Redmen” and bragging about how he rushed the his presentation and threw it together in a Las Vegas Hotel in 15 minutes. The fake Indian (according to NAFPS) Mark One Wolf who claims to be associated with NAGA  was also questionably exposed during his affiliation with the Washington Redskins...

Offline Sparks

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 12:08:54 am »
I will not be surprised if Naga turns out to be some corporate nonprofit …

Confirmed on their Facebook page. My bolding of the last paragraph:

About
BUSINESS INFO
Started in September 2017
Mission
Native American guardians Association (NAGA) is an alliance of Native and non-Native Americans who have united to preserve positive, honorable imagery as well as tributes to Native American culture in the American mainstream. Also, to recognize those Native and non-Native citizens who work tirelessly to the same end.

CONTACT DETAILS
m.me/118431615517537
registernaga@gmail.com
http://www.naguardians.org

MORE INFO
About
Native American Guardians Association (NAGA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit created to help preserve Native American names and images across the United States.
categories
Non-profit organisation

Offline Sparks

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:01:35 am »
There are four men currently on their "leadership team": http://naguardians.org/board.html

By now there are five men and four women. I'll quote it all in case it's taken away:

Leadership Team

Ila R. McKay – HintunkansanWastewin (Pretty Weasel Woman) (Cuthead/Ihanktowan/Sissitowan Dakota)
Ms. McKay is of the Cuthead/Ihanktowan and Sisseton/Sissitowan Dakota Bands and is an enrolled member of the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe at Fort Totten, ND. Her Dakota name is Hintunkansan Wastewin (Pretty Weasel Woman), a name that she carries forward from her great-grandmother. She is a descendant of Chief Little Fish (Sisseton/Sissitowan/Dakota).

Ms. McKay possesses a high level of community organizational skills and has exemplary grant writing skills that have provided funds for community, economic, and program development. She has worked in various settings throughout her career; from an Associate Counselor that provided a caring heart and a listening ear to young girls in an alcohol/drug treatment center to being an Editor for Indian Country Today, a Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) provider to tribes and villages seeking answers to youth suicide, a Adjunct Professor/American Indian Studies, a Tribal Chairman, and administrative roles related to diversity and strategic planning. Ms. McKay is a Bush Fellow/Native Nations Rebuilders (Cohort 6) of the Bush Foundation/Native American Governance Center. She has dedicated her career and her heart to improving the lives of American Indian/Alaska Native people.

Her formal education includes a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree in American Indian Studies/Business and Public Administration from the University of North Dakota and a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) from Eastern Washington University.

Mark Yellowhorse
Mark Yellowhorse Beasley is a member of the Navajo nation and hails from a family who has distinguished itself nationally by promoting the Navajo culture through unique jewelry, dynamic art and via cutting edge mass communications.

Beasley is a long-time philanthropist promoting the health and well being of Navajo children.

Beasley has used his sales and business experience to take a leadership role in promoting charitable initiatives. He routinely appears at events (in person) or as part of his broadcast work while as a producer or as broadcasting personality on a national native american-themed radio program.

Beasley's editorial and historic work has been published in several newspapers around the nation as well as publications such as the American Thinker, Gateway Pundit and the Media Research Center among others.

Tony Henson
Tony Henson is the founder and president of the not for profit Illinois Pride USA. The mission of the organization is to celebrate and promote awareness of the proud history, customs, and traditions of Illinois' Confederated Tribes. A quarter Cherokee himself as well as a diehard Illinois Fighting Illini fan, Mr. Henson set out in 2014 to find a resolution to the void left in the decade since the elimination of Chief Illiniwek, the revered symbol of Fighting Illini athletics from 1926-2007. In 2016 Henson authored the blog, "The Fight to be the Fighting Illini" which is a culmination of almost 3 years of tireless research on the topic. Recent momentum at the very top levels of the University of Illinois in support of his initiatives shows the hard work is paying off.

Tony Henson has lived all his life in central Illinois where he is a successful real estate investor. He studied at Lincoln Christian University before venturing off into a business endeavor that resulted in him receiving his first United States Patent in the early 1990s. Henson served as a Regional Coordinator for the Bush/Cheney campaign in 2004. Passionate about his Christian faith, Mr. Henson help co-found Crossroads Church in his hometown of Bement, Illinois in 2014. Henson additionally serves as a commissioner on the Piatt County Housing Authority and is a precinct committee man in his hometown. Additionally, passionate about his Native American heritage, Henson joined forces with the Native American Guardians Association in 2017.

Eunice Davidson
Wicanhpiwastewin (Good Star Woman)

Eunice Davidson is a Native American Guardians Association Board Member. She was the first presiding President and a founding member of the NAGA grassroots movement. Eunice is a full-blood Dakota Sioux and an enrolled member of the Spirit Lake Tribe from North Dakota. She grew up on the Spirit Lake reservation and attended school there and at Flandreau Indian school. She is married to David Davidson, Sr. and has two children, three grandchildren, and one great granddaughter. Eunice returned to receive her education after her children were married and on their own. She received a two-year degree in Liberal Arts and Dakota Studies from Cankdeska Cikana Community College from Spirit Lake, ND. After attending a year at Fort Berthold Community College, she went unto receive her BA degree in Education from Black Hills State University, Spearfish, SD. Eunice is currently pursuing her Master of Science degree in The Native American Leadership program at Southeastern Oklahoma University, in Durant Ok.

Eunice was an active member of the Spirit Lake Committee for Understanding and Respect and was instrumental in gathering names on a petition and putting the Fighting Sioux name and logo issue on the ballot, where Spirit Lake tribal members had a chance to vote on the Sioux name. The Spirit Lake Tribal members voted in the largest election turnout ever and voted by a margin of 2 to 1 in April of 2009 at 67% to keep the Sioux name at UND. She also authored a book “Aren’t We Sioux Enough” ironic she got the idea of the title of her book from a federal judge who presided over their case against the NCAA.

Eunice is a direct descendent of ancestors who earned a place in history. Her ancestor Waanatan has a distinguished history as a Yankton leader who earned his name Waanatan (Charger) during an attack on Fort Stevens in Ohio in 1813 where he was wounded numerous times but kept on charging. Inkpaduta who declared war on the white’s in 1857 and was at every major battle the Sioux fought including Little Big Horn and was never captured even though he was on the most wanted list from 1857 till 1882 when he passed away in Sioux Valley, Canada. Tiyowaste (Goodhouse) who was the very first head chief of the Devils Lake Sioux Tribe beginning in 1867. She received her Indian name from her Uncle who was a spiritual leader on the reservation in a naming ceremony, she was honored to be given the name of her 5th generation Grandmother who was interned at Fort Snelling, Minnesota between 1862 – 63 just after the Dakota Sioux Uprising.

Eunice believes the “not your mascot movement” will hurt Indian Country more than they realize, she likes history and understands the ramifications that can come if all Indian names are removed from sight. Each one of these names are the identity of tribal nations and without them who will remember who we are. She believes in Education not Eradication.

William Brotherton
William J. Brotherton is an enrolled member of the Abenaki Nation of Missisquoi in Swanton, Vermont, where he serves on tribal council. His grandmother Nellie Boss (Bourgeois) Lamphere, born in Québec, was full-blooded Abenaki. He is also an adopted member of the Spirit Lake Sioux, where he received the Sioux name of Tasunka Masa (Iron Horse) in a ceremony conducted by medicine man John Chaske. He is active in preserving and reclaiming the respectful use of Native American names in sports, place names and wherever they can be used to promote the heritage of the American Indian.

William is an attorney, an entrepreneur, and an author. He was a brakeman, conductor and trainmaster 40 years ago for the Burlington Northern Railroad and worked freight trains all across the West. His book, Burlington Northern Adventures; Railroading in the Days of the Caboose, was published in 2004 (South Platte Press). He is the principal of the Brotherton Law Firm, a civil litigation firm headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and received his BA from the University of North Dakota, his MS in Environmental Sciences from the University of Texas at Dallas, and his JD from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law (now Texas A&M University School of Law). He taught environmental law for 12 years at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth. In addition to being licensed with the Texas Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court of the State of North Dakota, he is also licensed with the Supreme Court of the United States, the Northern and Eastern Federal District Courts in Texas, and the Eastern and Western Federal District Courts in North Dakota.

He spearheaded the suit against the University of North Dakota, the State of North Dakota, and the Board of Higher Education on behalf of Sioux tribal members who objected to changing the Fighting Sioux name of the University of North Dakota. While the University prevailed, and adopted the name “Fighting Hawks”, the University, its students, its alumni, the citizens of the state and the Sioux of North Dakota have all lost a common bond that brought everyone together and made the University of North Dakota the premier educational institution in the Midwest. Since losing the Fighting Sioux name, the University has been forced to drop sports programs, closed or razed 13 buildings, many historic, and suffered historic drops in alumni giving and revenue.

He is a frequent speaker, and recently spoke on the topic of Native American Names in Sports at the State Bar of Texas American Indian Law Conference and at the Conference on Native American Imagery in Sport hosted by the Robert Zicklin Center for Corporate Integrity at Baruch College in New York City.

Andre Billeaudeaux
Andre Billeaudeaux is a retired senior military strategist, ship operator and journalist. He is currently working as a Fellow at a federal “Think Tank” focusing on national safety and security initiatives.

He has written two books and has published extensively in magazines and academic journals on topics such as National Identity, Race/Racism, Political Communications and Native American history.

His research work is featured in the Journal of Communication, Global Media Journal, Political Communication and the Newspaper Research Journal among others.

He has been a featured speaker at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government as well as at national Conferences such as ”Communicating for Social Impact”, “Western Political Science Association” and “Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication”.

Pretty Deer Flower Eagleman
(Tacha wastewin wacha)
Brown owl woman
(Heyankagagi gi win)
Fort Peck Assiniboine & Spirit Lake Sioux Nation

Pretty Deer was born in Devils Lake North Dakota. She grew up on the Spirit Lake reservation and attended elementary school in Devils Lake then transferred to Four Winds High School and graduated in 1996. Pretty Deer continued her education at Lake Region State College and started her nursing career as a CNA. She continued her education in the medical field and moved to Fargo, ND where she decided to attend NDSU and the Rasmussen College then graduated in 2006. Pretty Deer states she chose the career to work in retirement homes and loves working with the elderly because of their storytelling, knowledge, and history they would share with her. She mainly works with the Native American elderly.

In 2014, Pretty Deer decided to make a geographical move to Oregon with her four children. She teaches her children about the Dakota Sioux culture. Living in Oregon the Native American culture has different traditions from what she is used too. She doesn’t want her children to get confused of the Indian cultural differences.

In 2015, Pretty Deer became aware of what was going on with Native American names and images in sports due to the Sioux name taken away at the University of North Dakota. She knew Eunice Davidson because they both came from the same reservation. Through Facebook they talked about what was happening and Eunice asked her if she would want to become a member of Native American Guardian’s Association (NAGA)? Pretty Deer was intrigued & more than happy to join because she felt it would someday all of our names would be eradicated. Since then she started attending meetings at schools that were in danger of losing their Indian names and images in Oregon. She said she could see how much pride the students and parents took in having a Native identity to represent their school.

Pretty Deer states there’s always that one question, why? I kept thinking to myself there’s no one to help support these people and said I always believed if it’s not broken, why try to fix something that isn’t broke, I’ve seen the sadness in the students when their pride was taken away & they lost their Indian name and image at the school. That is why Pretty Deer joined forces with NAGA to fight back against the destructive eradication movement going on in the nation. That is why she is up for the challenge. #educatenoteradicate

Jonathan and Crystal Tso
Jonathan Tso is of the Sioux (Naa?ani) and born for the Bitter Water Clan (Tódich'ii'niii). He is enrolled with the Assiniboine Sioux Tribe with the Fort Peck Reservation from Montana. Married for 10 years and has four kids. Jonathan has traveled for over 10 years working as a Laborer for the Union. After changing careers and managing a long distance relationship from his wife and children, Jonathan now working as a Journeyman electrician, he and his family relocated to West Texas.

Crystal Tso is full blooded Navajo enrolled with the Navajo Nation. She is of the Near the Water Clan (To’ahani) and born for the Salt People Clan (‘Ásh??hi) She has always been a kind hearted person who has worked as a Direct Support Professional for over 10 years serving persons with Developmentally Disabilities and nominated for ANCOR DSP for New Mexico. She has also worked with recovering addicts as a Psycho-Social Rehabilitation Aide. Crystal then strived forward and worked for the Farmington School District as a Special Education Teachers Aide for the preschool. She then uprooted and moved her family to West Texas for her husband’s job. Currently a stay at home mom to her two children she enjoys being there for her family. Crystal believes in raising her children with the traditional Navajo teachings, beliefs, and values.

Both Jonathan and Crystal continued to be active as being one of five Founders of the 505 Redskins Fan Club from the Four Corners area. The idea of forming a club was more then fellow Redskins fans coming together for a game. Though the company was great and the food was delicious. As years went on and word got around about the club, more and more fans wanted to join and the rest is history. It was also a founding principle to represent a club that is in large part Native Americans who support the Washington Redskins imagery. Over the years Jonathan educates the background and history of the Redskins image to those who believe we as Native Americans should not be offended. He and Crystal proudly joins forces with NAGA to help educate and not eradicate.

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 01:39:04 am »
Take note on the Indian Peaks Paiute Band’s position on Naga as an outside group:

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:41:01 am »
Oops meant to say Paiute Tribe of Utah...

Offline cowlishaw

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »
Mark Twinkie Wolf and the rest of Naga has the audacity to add this blatant fraud on their board!? Really? http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4472.0