Author Topic: Hello out there!  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Truthout

Hello out there!
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:29:53 am »
Hi and thanks for this site and all the hard work that goes on here.
 I was raised in a white identifying family in Northern Ontario, they did not claim their Cree ancestors, but they did not claim a lot of other ancestors as well; French Irish and Jewish if the family myths are to be believed.

I identify white as I was raised to do, and am not really interested in DNA testing as either way I was raised with the full privilege of the dominant culture. Except the money part.

I am partner to a good man who is deeply spiritual and walks his own path with clarity and strength. I am Mom to four strong women and grandmother to twin boys and a baby girl. I am very blessed.

I am aware of some of my internalized privilege and prejudice and seek to heal more of that within myself each day. My love and I have a pact to do this with each other and ourselves.

I am a deep spiritual practitioner in the linage of my maternal Grandmother, who identified white. 
I hold sacred the ceremony and wisdom of many nations and respect the diversity of the landscapes of the sacred.
I have been honoured to be included in some very sacred ceremonies and have deep respect for the sacred in the many cultures of these lands. I am a guest, i do not claim them as my own.

I have been speaking up for most of my lifetime (and I am almost 60) in white communities about the pilfering of Indigenous practices, but it seems to fall on defensive ears much of the time. At least at first.

I have come to your forum many times to look up someone offering services or workshops around me and thought I should step in and say hello rather than just lurking about when I want information.

I made a pledge to speak up when i saw members of my community behaving in damaging ways and especially with facebook this is becoming more of a job than I imagined. The deeper you scratch and all. But you know? That is my job to do in my community. There are perks to being a white hetro woman and there are responsibilities. I aim to shoulder mine the best I can.

So hello.
On behalf of myself and my ancestors who colonized these lands, I am here to learn, i am here to listen.
Thank you for being.