Author Topic: Just a simple observation, probably covered already  (Read 3763 times)

Offline DavidB

Just a simple observation, probably covered already
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »
I have read some of the 'justifications' for ripping off native churches/beliefs.  Here's what I see; would you go into a Catholic/Episcopalian/i.e. any established religion, learn some of their rituals, start a website claiming you have been taught by so and so, give yourself a name associated with that church (perhaps of some angel or demon, etc.) and with a few cryptic quotes begin to market yourself and products?  Of course not.  Why?  Because anyone interested in one of these belief systems would go to the source, and they already have built-in money-collecting as part of their beliefs.  Nobody would believe you nor by into your scam.  Why do the same with any of the established belief systems of the Lakotas, Navaho, Cherokee, etc. etc. etc.?  Because you can get away with it and make a profit from the more gullible people out there?  Yes, I have observed 'Christian' religious characters send plastic crosses in the mail promising a 'prayer' if and only if the recipient wraps the cross in 'no less than' a twenty dollar bill and send it off at a specific time.  If it wasn't working, they wouldn't pull that sort of scam--it is not justified by anyone doing it, and I applaud anyone who is standing out not just against cultural theft, but blatant ripoffs of any kind, especially those having to do with spirit.  If anyone of us wants to learn spiritual truth, the answer is found in the last place most people look--inside yourself.  It is useful to learn externally, but with discernment.  Respect other people's beliefs, and they may respect yours.  It's pretty damn simple....