Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Breet

Hello
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »
Hiya,

It took me forever to learn how to post *giggles*.  Very happy to be here, I've spent many years trying to explain cultural appropriation, people just don't get it.  I don't understand why people feel entitled to mix medicines and not understand how dangerous this is, it takes all our lives to learn.  sighs*.

I was taught traditional ways of the earth from my Scottish grandmother not realizing the gifts she was passing on.  When I moved to Canada I wanted to learn more and took a 'course' on 'celtic' shamanism and invested money in my learning.  While I don't believe the person teaching realized they were practicing cultural appropriation and truly thought they were doing good; I had to leave.  I personally don't feel comfortable with the foundation, salad mix of shamanic practices.

Our cultures and ancestry is encoded within our DNA, and while I appreciate other cultures and spiritual practices I now walk with my ancestors and understand that everything is medicine while not having to 'take' the medicine of other individuals.  As far as I'm aware the Scot's for sure didn't have 'shamans', they're medicine people were called 'seerers' or those with the 'second sight'.

I'm looking forward to discussions and learning more about those who are legitimate and those to avoid.  Thank you for your service.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »
That's correct, traditional Scottish healers and seers were not, and are not, called "shamans." Or "medicine people." Terms in Gaelic are used, as are traditional songs and prayers in the languages of the ancestors.

We don't really provide any sort of referrals here. If you read the main page of the site, anyone here who is a ceremonial person is involved in communities where spirituality is based in family, extended family, and land-based community. We're dedicated to stopping frauds, exploiters, and those who engage in pay to pray. While this board is Native owned and run, we are an international group. Our team includes members from traditional communities in Scotland and the diaspora, who also hold these values in common. Fàilte.

Offline Breet

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:10:03 pm »
Móran taing for your fáilte!

I came to this site to look up people I felt were appropriating other cultures, there was inconsistency in the celtic teachings and I felt disgusted when a mixture of cultures were all being taught as 'core shamanism'.  Unfortunately these teachers are both Indian and non Indian.   I was laughed at when I pointed out inaccuracies in celtic teachings, in particular making it known theres no such thing as a celtic shaman or medicine person.

I wasn't looking for referrals, I was looking for confirmation that the people I thought were appropriating are.  I travel to my homeland to honor the land and ancestors while I live here with my mixed cherokee husband.

It pisses me off that these 'teachers' will defend and justify their actions to suit their needs not knowing how dangerous and inappropriate they are.  Cults are insidious which in my opinion is whats forming.

I too will continue to speak up and educate people about cultural appropriation because a LOT don't know they're doing it.

As a side note: most people are not aware there are many celtic tribes: Breizh, Kernow, Cymru, Alba, Éire and Mannin also known as Ellen Vannin.  There was NO such thing as the highlands and lowlands in Scotland until the Romans invaded.  Glad to be here and thanks again for the education and hard work.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:02:49 pm »
"Celtic" is a linguistic grouping. The ancient Celts were only considered "tribes" in antiquity. Alba, Breizh, Cymru, Éire, Ellan Vannin agus Kernow are not "tribes." Those are the names for the still-extant, Six Celtic Nations of: Scotland (Alba), Brittany (Breizh), Ireland (Éire), the Isle of Man (Mannin or Ellan Vannin), and Cornwall (Kernow).

As a side note: most people are not aware there are many celtic tribes: Breizh, Kernow, Cymru, Alba, Éire and Mannin also known as Ellen Vannin. 

Offline Breet

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:13:24 pm »
Well look at that! I was wrong.  Makes we wonder what else I've been "taught" thats wrong.  YIKES =(