Author Topic: Hello from Kara  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Kara_H

Hello from Kara
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:21 am »
Hi, I am a computer geek from NH who is living in DC (I refuse to say that my home is dc even though I moved from NH back in 1990). Here I am an ally, but on other issues I am a bit of an activist -- my standing directions for finding me are 'look for the nearest progressive protest'.

How I got here was via an unrelated forum actually. I was talking to a Lakota woman and I wound up telling her about scolding Naomi Archer for appropriating the phrase "two spirit". As someone who is also trans and have known for a long time not to use another culture's terminology I felt she deserved scolding over at least that. Not to mention encountering her group years before as they are prominent in attracting trans people. Oh well, I am sure she has been mentioned here so I will track down a recent thread on her to write more and post a link to my post here.

I describe myself as an eclectic pagan, stress on the eclectic. Except for what I have picked up through learning I rely on my own background: deities from Finland (Ilmarinen), Denmark (Odin), and Ireland (Brigit) plus one often referenced in the trans world (Cybele). I also though describe my spirituality as atheistic. Before someone thinks there is a contradiction look at the words: I define religion as what you do and who you hand out with and spirituality as what you believe.

Offline Kara_H

Re: Hello from Kara
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:46:23 am »

Epiphany

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 01:44:03 pm »
Welcome!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »
Welcome, Kara. Thank you for what you posted in the Archer thread. :)

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 07:22:16 pm »
Hi and Welcome! I just want to echo Yells' sentiments. And that thread shows me yet again how complex the world of pretendians is...
I came here for the popcorn and stayed for the slaying of pretenders.

Offline Kara_H

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:03 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes. She managed to get under my skin with that one and it was not even a direct attack on my culture!