Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2886 times)

Offline grumpyoldman

Hi
« on: January 29, 2009, 03:37:19 pm »

Hi all,
 I have been lurking here for awhile and enjoy what you are doing. I am a mixed blood white man. Maybe part of the mix is NDN way back, there is a story. No proof, who cares, not important.

I lived long enough in western South Dakota before the new age hit. I watched the Aim movement and was acquainted with some of the folks involved at wounded knee. I also walked the frozen back roads south of New Underwood SD when cars broke down and had met enough of the older folks to know this was an Indian problem and white folks needed to stay away.

Yes, I read Fools Crow and Lame deer and a few others when they were first written only because I am honored to say I was in the presence of these men and wanted to see what was being said. I still to this day tell folks to remember they were written by white men. I do the best I can to dissuade anyone who claims to be NDN of any kind and is selling ceremony. I have had a few over the years as I live smack dab in the middle of Miwok country in white yuppie California.
The Sedona for brunch bunch are prevalent in Wine country.
Anyways, One of those old NDNS did tell me white men should shut up as they spoke volumes to say nothing of value.

I am going to link a friend to this forum as he might get some knowledge of why I do turn into a Grumpyoldman over this subject.
 I use a personal drum and on occasion sage with a good heart as I learned from one who was born into it.
I do though defend anything native and especially Lakota simply because I lived in the shadow of Bear Butte and know what a Dakota blizzard is.
Grumpyoldman

Offline Truth451

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:53 pm »
Thank you.  :)

I always look forward to reading your replies GrumpyOldMan and I have learned so much from you. I too, have a somewhat similar background just grew up in another part of the country with many native peoples around. They welcomed me and taught me like one of their own and I am grateful. I'm so careful what I say here...born white but my Mom told me and my sis stories. My Dad wouldn't allow us to have NDN friends growing up. Mom said "you go ahead now..." Wasn't till after dad died (Mom gone before him) that Mom's friends came forward and told us more "secrets." Anyway, doesn't really matter...I know WHO I AM. I do what I can. I may not have the pedigree (to prove) but I'm the best person I know ~ and That's Enough.

Miig witch for your story. You've made my day   :D