General > Research Needed

Siobhan Marks Our Grandmothers Strap Dress

<< < (5/9) > >>

WINative:
It appears Mark is defending her actions and distracting everyone from her lack of response to any requests for her lineage, by claiming sexism and colorism. As was pointed out to a common question that is asked by most Native people to one another. I think her refusal to respond and lack of proof makes it more apparent to everyone her lack of verifiable American Indian blood. Which in this case is cultural appropriation, and the Milwaukee community will have to decide on how to address? There is also Professor Margaret Noodin on this site and being researched and who has not responded and claims Ojibwe.

WINative:
Siobhan Marks and her partner Mark Denning appear in this video promoting a "Unity Fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcN9wPYcM-U&list=FLtMMuOZ8XnJ4O5kvjSw7LRQ&index=1

WINative:
Preceding the week of May 5th (Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day) AIHSC and partners St Kateri Center of Chicago, UIC Native American Support Program, Cook County Forest Preserve, Waking Women Healing Institute Chicago Therapy Collective, Cook County Human Relations Commission will host a PowWow on April 30th to remember the survivors and victims of violence in the indigenous community. Location: Bunker Hill Forest Preserve, W. Harts Road, Niles Illinois 60714. Gates open at 11am. Grand Entry at 12pm noon. ATTENDANCE IS FREE! Learn more at: aihschgo.org/event/mmiw-event

3:30pm: Siobhan Marks Red Dress Presentation

• Special Red Dress Presentation:
Siobhan Marks (Lac Courte Oreilles of Lake Superior)

https://www.facebook.com/events/222272833398778/

WINative:
More information to ponder regarding her works and identity, which the research and results done on here have not been challenged or responded to.

https://www.apg-wi.com/ashland_daily_press/news/regional/grandmother-s-dress-connects-women-to-their-culture/article_bbb01405-bd3a-5293-8006-4af5e3a6f857.html

Waubizee:
Tansi, Anin. I know Siobhan Marks and Mark Denning personally. I was Siobhan's sponsor to enter the Three Fires Midewiwin Lodge some years ago. The Three Fires Midewiwin Lodge does not accept petitions to enter the Midewiwin Lodge from individuals who do not have Indigenous ancestry. As her sponsor, I needed to ensure for myself that Siobhan does indeed have Anishinabe ancestry: she provided me with more than enough documentation to confirm it. I will add that I have a research background (PhD) and am more than capable of checking the veracity of her documentation. Personally, I am a Cree-Icelandic status Indian of  Fisher River Cree Nation, Manitoba. I support the current movement to expose 'pretendians' etc., we have had a few very high profile Indigenous race-shifters in Canada over the last few years, Burassa, Boydon, Turpell-Lafond, Lovelace, etc. all accomplished individuals in their own right who chose to embellish or create a fraudulent Indigenous identity. However, it seems to me that the movement can make mistakes, and its validity will be whether we are willing and able to correct it when individuals are wrongly targeted. I want to add that I found the hateful comments made about Marks (over and above commentary on her Indigenous identity) on this site reflect more poorly on the writer than it does on Siobhan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version