Author Topic: Sundance at Nashville,Indiana  (Read 7488 times)

weheli

Sundance at Nashville,Indiana
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:22:44 pm »
I have been hearing for a while about a sundance that is held every year in Nashville, Indiana. It appears to be intertribal as I understand Cherokee Elders have been there to try to put a stop to it and the Lakota from what I understand have also came to stop it and were met with weapons. Any info appreciated.
                                                                                 Wado Weheli :-/

frederica

Re: Sundance at Nashville,Indiana
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:03:34 am »
This has been going on for a while. I don't know if it still is or not. Several have tried to stop it. Last I heard it advertised was a few years ago. http://www.fs.fed.us/R9/hoosier/recreation/sundance_ceremony.htm  Indiana AIM was trying to stop it. Arvol Looking Horse and Benard Red Cherries were also involved.  The main concern was that it was presented by an Anglo in English.  That is if it is the same one. frederica

frederica

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 04:49:45 am »
Here are the declaratiions given by Arvol looking Horse. And the one by Benard Red Cherries to the Committe of Indian Affairs in Washington. There wete trying to get protection under the 1973 Religious Protection Act' The last advertisement for the Sundance was in 2003.  http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/sundance_ceremony.htm               http://www.walkingant.com/discus2/messages/37/908.html?1052351278          http://www.manataka.org/page108.html                                                        I know many letters were sent out to Nations to participate but it has been about 3 years ago. frederica

Offline kwa-kwen

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 07:55:04 pm »
This is the same group that was under Jim Gillahan, that I spoke about under David Spellsinger topic. With Mr. Gillahan's passing many have now gone over to the All My Relations sundance in southern IL. Many of them can be seen wearing their All My Relations sundance t-shirts at the pow wows in IL.

frederica

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:32:25 am »
It's been moved to another location, another group.  I have never heard of a Intertribal Sundance Ceremony, I have heard of guests from other Tribes. But we do not have Sundances, so I know little about them. There were several people that worked on trying to protect the Ceremony. And looked at everything from Intellectual Copyright to Declaration. But there were all kind of problems. I always found it interesting you can be arrested for pretending to be a Christian minister or priest, but not a Medicine Person or Sundance Priest. frederica

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 01:19:37 pm »
I believe this is the Salt Creek Sundance run by Steve McCullough - there are posts about him in the frauds section

Offline hinhanska3

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 03:49:53 pm »
The Sundance at Nashville, is the Salt Creek Sundance.   Was there 1 time, to see what was going on. There are different tribal members there, but my biggest concern was the fact that the biggest group were the Ojibwe conducting a Lakota sundance. When I was there, the Potawatomi from my area had also come down to try and stop it. Being associated with the INAIM, it has been tried and tried to get it shut down, but since it's in a national forest, keep getting blocked from it. Anybody can hold a gathering in the forest as long as they get the right permits.

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 06:33:38 pm »
I went there once for just a few hours to see Vernal Cross, this was the second year he went there I think 95. The year before he was invited and went and instead of endorsing what was happening he was asked to leave and not given gas money to get home, a relative went there in the middle of the night and gave him gas money (that the relative had to borrow on a credit card). We never understood why he went back the next year but I lot of relatives were convnced that is what killed him. It just seemed kind of strange there.

Offline Jamie Hume

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:51 pm »
I have never heard of an 'Intertribal Sundance' either.

Sundances have followed more than one branch. If they were aquired legitimatley they are what they are, not intertribal...you sound like you are talking about a POW WOW!

I have been told that even Catholic priests have Sundanced in South Dakota. That does not make those Sundances intertribal. That sounds a bit out there to me. Take everything on a case by case basis.

Peace!