Author Topic: Cherokee Asrology  (Read 7009 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cherokee Asrology
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:58:34 pm »

Offline mysticknt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Cherokee Asrology
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 08:48:00 am »
The Image on this page is from 'White Eagle Medicine Wheel' by Wa Na Nee Chee.

Wa-Na-Nee-Che claims to be Lakota Soiux/Ojibwa

David Green

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:59:24 pm »
The Cherokee people do have an astrological system very similar to the Mayan system. There were a few inaccuracies written at this but just a few.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 08:28:05 pm »
It does have some similarities to the Mayan calendar, but calling either one astrology is an incredible stretch. Ive seen Hail's book too. She's no traditionalist, uses European pagan terms all over the place. But she is extremely edlerly, so I wonder if the problem is more the book publishers, marketing dept, editors, etc misrepresenting her so they can sell more.

jimTree

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:00:06 pm »
I am Cherokee, not the most knowledgeable, but I have never heard the term astrology applied to anything cherokee. What I read sounded like a lot o whoie but as I said, I only know what I have learned from my family and a few friends. Also never heard of any 32 teachings or whatever.

David Green

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 10:10:33 pm »
I too am Cherokee. I was taught many of the constellation that are mentioned in Hail's book but not as astrology but more as a way to retell history and keeping a record of time. The Mayan astronomy system is not, as mentioned here, astrology but time keeping over vast expanses of time, generally speaking. I am aware that there is more to it than that.

I beleive the editors of Hail's book did some major rewriting in order to sell books. In Kilpatrick's book "The Night Has a Naked Soul" he even says his editors made him rewrite his work to make it sound more academic.