Author Topic: Jamie Hume  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Jamie Hume

Jamie Hume
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:18 am »
Hello!

I am a visual artist living and working in Canada. I am a non-native of largely Celtic lineage. I am affiliated through marriage and kinship to the Kanai First Nation...the Blood Tribe.

Peace!

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Jamie Hume
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:55 am »
Jamie , When I wrote my comment in "Exploitation and Abuse of Sweat Lodge Ceremonies" « Reply #3 , it was my understanding you were the widow of Morris Crow .

Re: Pablo Russell
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 06:30:21 pm
Jamie
As far as I know, my ex-husband Morris Crow never charged money for anyone to enter a sweat lodge.

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-DvPAbro5bqsKxdkSGWypiJ0-?cq=1
Jamie
Before anyone gets their nose out of joint I should tell you that I was married to the late Morris Crow and it is our son Morris Jr. that will be eventually taking over the leadership of this Sundance.

Because you mentioned Morris Crow was your ex-husband , I was assuming you have a strong relationship with his community , but I see you are not mentioned in his obituary , which mentions all his living relations .

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/printer_3233.php

I hope you don't mind me asking if you were married to him many years ? Did you live in a Native community ? Do you still live in a Native community ? I don't mean to be rude , and if this is not something you want to say publicly, no problem . Just , some of what you have said , has me wondering what your relationship with your ex-husbands community is .

Offline Jamie Hume

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:25:49 pm »
Moma I don't mind answering that at all.

I lived with my husband on the Blood Reserve for eight years. We have three children together. It was our home. Our oldest son is living there now and watches over the Sundance grounds there. When my car is working or when I can get a ride, I and our other sons visit. I swet there when I can. I go and help my son. Our boys play video games like every other kid here on the rez! I walk along the river and take out garbage, chaise the cows away from the holy grounds, I clean and smudge, I pray, I use the toilet and wash the dishes, I cook a meal...how's that? We are human beings here. Which reminds me, I wanted to address a comment made about Pablos community and family being 'against him'. I will do that when I am finished with this.

Some people you connect with, some you don't, some are close one day and not the next. Some hate you without even knowing you , I'm white it is a given that someone here is going to hate me...is that what you're getting at?There are people in this community I dearly love and respect and I also know that there are people here that love and respect me also. I don't need to take a survey! Life is life, people are people. There is a whole community of off rez families and extended families here in Lethbridge where we live right now. I have friends here that are native and non-native and married into and have children who are band members as do I, I have friends of all different lineages and beliefs. I grew up in Toronto and Ottawa. My dad was from here. My life is on the table. I am a visual artist we are used to putting ourselves out there on the line! I was the wife of a leader and I know that life too. I opened the door in the middle of the night and cooked meals for people, served others first before my own children, listened, comforted, gave. I still do those things.

I am not a band member. I was married after Bill C 32. Yes I know what that is. I supported it, I signed a petition, I prayed, I helped with awareness to the bill and most importantly...I listened and learned about it. Are you in Canada? Are you aware of Bill C-32. Oh that's right, you haven't said who you are. Well, I believe that the love and tie of family is more powerful than any Colonially imposed technical hoops people have to jump through to navigate things here! There are bars around First Nations communities historically, politically, economically and symbolically speaking. Self determination is hindered by a lot of things. I didn't just drop into this community either. I was an activist supporting the Native rights movement. I still support it. As  a Canadain of British decent I stepped up to the plate when other non-natives hid from the truth of their histories here in North America. I am almost fifty one years old and I am still a very political person. Just being a human being is political. Also my great grandfather had friends in this community when he came west as a new immegrant from Scotland.

Families fight by the way. That is what we are, family. We fight, we disagree, we can get really pissed off at each other even shun one another for a while but we are still connected. I will always be on the one hand an outsider and on the other... this community is home to me whether I live here or not my heart is here. Whether I get mad at my sister in law or her at me, or I get snubbed by one person or hugged by another. What is it to you?!!!!

It is not normal for ex-wives to be listed in obituaries here. That has nothing to do with bonds to community or family. Marital relations and divorce issues are fairly universal and do not reflect my feelings for the Blood Tribe community. I feel as part of that community today more than ever.

I speak for myself, I speak for our younger children when I need to, but they speak for themselves most of the time. Unlike you, I have the courage to put may real name here. I don't mean to be rude, but that speakes to authenticity .

My ex-husband and I made our peace before he passed away. That should be good enough for anyone. Other than that, the rest is our personal business. Up to a point, I would say the same for these issues we have been discussing here regarding other people. I got involved in these discussions because by association, our Sundance, my ex-husband and now my sons are being dragged through the mud because of alogations of exploitation and inapporpriate behaviors directed at Pablo Russel. Pablo is a relative and a leader in this community, he is part of m,y extended family if you want it in technical talk!

As a parent, extended family and as a member of our Sundance community I have a right to address that. As a non-native dedicated to what I have been blessed with I feel a sense of responsibility to be active regarding awareness of the issues discussed here that I have experience with or some awareness of when it looks like it would be helpful.

As a human being, I feel a sense of responsibility to address issues of racism, abuse, dishonesty and so forth, regarding life generally as a socially conscious being. I have never thrown my wieght around but I do speak up when I feel the need as I do right now. I am well aware that I am not a perfect human being either and I do not out myself on a pedistal! I am not above anyone else nor am I a doormat for people to whipe their feet on.

As to what JJ said about Pablo's family and community being against him and the reply to that about that saying something about who he is I will say this...family fight, family disagree, family do a lot of things good and not so good! Our family relationships our ours to deal with!!!!! We don't have to be the way you want us to be or meet your needs for perfection. That is not what these teachings you have engaged in are about! How is your family and community situation? Tell me all about it, all the details...really.

Pablos parents are not against him! They know their son is a human being! I am sure they know their son better than any of us! His parents Sundanced, they still do. They are leaders in this comunity! They are also members of a holy society and very well loved and respected. I danced with them! One of Pablos sons is a friend of one of my sons! Get over it! Is that enough now? Are you the judge and jury of everyones personal journey?

You guys come to all sorts of black and white opinions and based on what? Next to nothing. Is Pablo falling? Maybe! I don't know! Talk to Pablo! He is capable of speaking for himself.

This community is full of people and their disagreements! So what! Does it pertain to this discussion? NO! That just tells me you guys are the outsiders. But I will tell you one thing, this community is tough and has great heart! I am honoured to be part of it in my own unique way, not as a wanna be, but as family,as a human being who isn't in it for what she can get, but for what is real and I am no push over either. There is a reason my husband and I loved one another so much, even though our marriage failed. I planned to get divorced...come on....wake up.

So stick to the subject or come here and see for yourself who we are before you take the conversation to a lower level. As I said before, if there is a problem it will be delbt with by the Creator, the grandfathers, Pablo himself perhaps. And, I again appaulogise on my behalf for any trouble that has been caused and I hope and pray that things will come right again.

That is the goal isn't it? To heal, to honour, to understand and to protect not by being destructive but by walking our talk? Or is it about slapping people down? People fall, anyone can fall, it is more important that they , we, get up when we fall than the fact that we have fallen. If we even fell at all. Maybe we were learning.

Morris carried this Sundance with courage, strength, comminttment, integrity...he was a great leader...he was a man, just a man and he was not perfect but he dedicated his life to this being here and continued on. Now, it is our son having to grow into his shoes. Mothers protect there sons. I feel that same sense of protection towards Pablo too whether he has done right or wrong!

So, before I say somthing I regret, I will leave this. I am not cutting you off...I am actually in the process of moving and this has been really upsetting to me. I am sick with a bad cold right now too. Oh poor little meee. LOL! Perhaps I should not have entered this discussion while I am not feeling well. I hope this all resolves itself in a good way.

Peace.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:34:53 pm »
Jamie nice to know you.

You are the ex-wife of a native man
you have children with a native man

This gives you NO rights to speak on ceremonies
This give you the right to care for your children
but it gives you no rights to our tribal people.
In Spirit

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:54 pm »
Jamie , I'm sorry if my questions put you on the defensive . For a new person who claims to be is concerned about the abuse of ceremonies , you have been making a lot of critcal comments. Not that I disagree with everything you said , I was just trying to understand who you are, and what community values you are loyal to  .

Some of your comments did sound like you have a lot of values more commonly found in non native people .

For example your idea that people posting in NAFPS are archaic because we generally don't support practicing Ceremonies from other tribes, and your talking about your Sundance scars and that you carry a Pipe online .

Most the Native people I know are instinctively protective of these things and don't discuss them online . These comments from an Elder in your area show modesty about these things , is expected where you live as well :

http://www.ammsa.com/buffalospirit/February-2000/adviceonpowwowtrail.html

Many times I have seen individuals "showing off" their sundance scars, tobacco ties or amulets hanging around their necks  - exposed. When a person carries protection and/or medicine, it should always be hidden and never be spoken about.

It isn't like this in itself has given me a bad opinion of you , just it made me wonder who you are in relation to the Native community you claim . On the other hand, your accusations that Earth7 just hates White people because she also found your online comments about your Pipe and Sundance commitments inappropriate , seemed kind of nasty and really unfair as what Earth7 is telling you is correct . 

Re: Pablo Russell
« Reply #46 on:

Jamie
I have also met people that hate 'white people'...I term of convenience...that hate white people so much that when they meet a real person, they try to badger them into proving that they are worthy of their hatred and distain because they cannot except anyone who would challenge that perception they want so badly to hold on to.

Some people need to hate. Some people find strength and power in hatred.

As for who I am ;
Personally , I don't feel safe to share personal details , except to say I'm no one important . When you tell people you were married to Morris Crow , and that your son will inherit his father position and you speak about your Sundance scars, it sounds like you are saying you are someone important . I'm not. I'm not claiming anything about myself , that might make me more credible , so nothing I am claiming about myself needs to be verified .
I generally try to back up what I say about the issues discussed here with other credible verifiable sources , and I don't expect anyone to take my word for anything . I expect people to think about the issues , not about the credibility I don't have and don't claim to have.

Please remember my initial comments to you, in the thread you began on the abuse of sweatlodge ceremonies were in appreciation that you seemed to have your priorities straight in seeing protecting ceremonies and your childrens cultural heritage from abuse is more important than protecting an exploiter you consider a friend .

Your comments today have me thinking your sense of priorities aren't as clear as I hoped .

Jamie
We don't have to be the way you want us to be or meet your needs for perfection.

Jamie
Are you the judge and jury of everyones personal journey?

Jamie
You guys come to all sorts of black and white opinions and based on what? Next to nothing. Is Pablo falling? Maybe! I don't know! Talk to Pablo! He is capable of speaking for himself.

A simple internet search such as was done here in reply 45 , should be all the "proof" you need there is a problem
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=574.0;all

Looking at these advertisements , it certainly looks like Pablo is selling Spiritual teachings and Ceremonies . I can't really see any other way to interpret this . If this is going on ( and there is lots of evidence it is ) Pablo IS responsible to know about this, and stop it . I don't care if he doesn't speak Danish .  He speaks it better than me , and I had it figured out before Ingeborg was kind enough to help with the translations . If Pablo is capable of getting on an airplane he is capable of seeing what is going on and HE IS responsible to see the traditions he carries are not degraded in this way .

If Pablo is selling ceremonies and you feel your family has some responsibily for sharing these ways , where there is no strong community to keep an eye on things, I understand this is painful for you , but please don't get mad at us for bringing it to your attention, that there looks like there is a problem.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:27:04 pm »
Get over it! Is that enough now? Are you the judge and jury of everyones personal journey?

The idea that spiritually we are all on "personal journeys," and somehow disconnected from accountability to a community, is a very newage attitude.  I see it all the time among folks who are disconnected from their cultures and native spiritual traditions.  American white folks are especially prone to this as we are immigrants, living in a land where our ancestors have not been for very long.  And many of us are also disconnected from the traditions and cultures of the lands our ancestors left.  This rootlessness is something to overcome, imho, not to inflict upon those who have been raised in cultures without this particular problem. 

Indigenous spiritualities exist in community.  Elders and peers in the community have every right to judge the behaviour of others in the community, especially when an individual claims to be representing that community  - and by teaching or presenting ceremonies from that community/nation, yes, that is being a representative (whether an authorized one or not).

This is an online community that is dedicated to exposing frauds, so of course there will be critical discussion and investigation of claims.   Signing your messages "Peace!" doesn't really ameliorate the tone in cases where you've been unpeaceful in the words preceding that shout. 

Offline ironbuffalo

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:03 pm »
Get over it! Is that enough now? Are you the judge and jury of everyones personal journey?

The idea that spiritually we are all on "personal journeys," and somehow disconnected from accountability to a community, is a very newage attitude.  I see it all the time among folks who are disconnected from their cultures and native spiritual traditions.  American white folks are especially prone to this as we are immigrants, living in a land where our ancestors have not been for very long.  And many of us are also disconnected from the traditions and cultures of the lands our ancestors left.  This rootlessness is something to overcome, imho, not to inflict upon those who have been raised in cultures without this particular problem. 

Indigenous spiritualities exist in community.  Elders and peers in the community have every right to judge the behaviour of others in the community, especially when an individual claims to be representing that community  - and by teaching or presenting ceremonies from that community/nation, yes, that is being a representative (whether an authorized one or not).

This is an online community that is dedicated to exposing frauds, so of course there will be critical discussion and investigation of claims.   Signing your messages "Peace!" doesn't really ameliorate the tone in cases where you've been unpeaceful in the words preceding that shout. 

This is something that I have noticed as well among many folks of the dominant culture. "My" journey. "My" spiritual growth. "My" path....me me me....

As ndn people what is done WRT ceremonies and religion is for the good of our communities and our people as a whole. By putting those things ahead of ones personal desires and expectations then along the way one can indeed grow spiritually as a human being. But that isn't the overarching purpose to personally gain from them.

I am not here to bash white pople, but this is something that I see deeply ingrained in the culture of the dominant society.

Offline PLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:30:46 pm »
Aw man, I have read and re-read these posts to the point that my head is now mush. I am mixed Cherokee. I was not born on the Rez, nor have I lived there. I will even state that I don't claim to know much at all.  Again, I am mixed Cherokee, why might I Sweat? It's not my right. Sheesh.  I don't ever plan on participating in a Sundance, nor will I ever be a Pipe Carrier. I don't get it. Why do people participate in Ceremonies that don't belong to them? Why would I ever dis-respect my Lakohta friends by learning from them, reading and studying their ways....and even begin to think I would have a right to participate in their Ceremony?
 I truly don't understand.

frederica

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 01:46:50 am »
Probably will never exactly "get it".  I never have exactly. I think it has to do with some concept that nuages have about "sharing", whether it should be shared with them or not. There is a certain sense of entitlement that goes with this. Some have even ventured to say they are keeping these Ceremonies from becoming lost, no matter how much they corrupt them. To me a lot of it is just rationalization for stealing. And for those that use the race card is a common ploy. I still waiting for Jamie to clearify her motives. I see a lot of digs and drama but not much substance.