Author Topic: Nolumbeka Project, Western MA.  (Read 35561 times)

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Nolumbeka Project, Western MA.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 10:38:39 pm »
I do not believe her to be legit. She promotes a lot of nuage and panindianism and I'm really not sure what's up with the Moondream thing. Her last name is White as was posted earlier in this thread.

Offline Legolamb

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »
OK, thanks very much.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »
Yuck! Another questionable woman at that horrible Turner Falls festival. "Plainfield resident Jennifer Lee, a descendent of the Narragansett and Pequot tribes, spoke at the Great Falls Discovery Center Saturday morning briefly retracing her steps of a 30-year journey searching for her ancestral roots."One of the worst articles I've ever read, she never actually tells how she supposedly found her "native" ancestry". Just the usual "I was attracted to Native American culture" and "I needed to experience Native American culture"...blah, blah, blah. You all know the drill. Oh, and of course the horrible and creepy jet black dyed hair. Here's the article.     

http://www.recorder.com/home/21156623-95/searching-for-her-tribe-plainfield-woman-tracks-down-her-native-lineage

By RACHEL RAPKIN

Recorder Staff

Saturday, February 20, 2016
 (Published in print: Monday, February 22, 2016)

TURNERS FALLS — How far would you travel to trace your heritage?

Plainfield resident Jennifer Lee, a descendent of the Narragansett and Pequot tribes, spoke at the Great Falls Discovery Center Saturday morning briefly retracing her steps of a 30-year journey searching for her ancestral roots.

“When I look back into my ancestors, I’ve found that they are Polish, Jewish, African-American, Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch, Narragansett and Pequot,” she said to approximately 50 people who came out to hear her story.

With a father from a Jewish background and a mother from an Italian Catholic background, Lee didn’t know how to identify herself as a teenager, and realized years later that it’s acceptable to associate with numerous cultures and communities. Lee, however, wasn’t satisfied just going a few branches up her family tree. She wanted to know where her lineage began, and she set off on a cross-country trek upon her high school graduation to trace her origin.

“All my life I’ve been very, very interested in American Indian culture and history and how native people lived here when it was 20 (degrees) below zero. How did they survive?” she wondered. “Every image that I had about native people was probably not correct. It was given by an egocentric historian who had no personal connection to native culture.”

From California to Ohio and New England, Lee’s exploration led her to experience Native American customs that are still practiced today. Lee didn’t feel she could understand those practices until she re-educated herself about the daily practices of the natives, which led her to track down university professors versed in indigenous history, attend various conferences and read numerous texts so she could piece together tribal history that wasn’t taught in grade school.

“There’s this book called ‘American Indian Stereotypes in the World of Children,’ and they categorize every type of picture or saying that kids have ever seen about Native Americans,” she said. “They are just not right. They are skewed. That’s who I was — an American bombarded with these untruths.”

Throughout her discoveries tracing back 400 years, Lee found that the nation was influenced and shaped by the everyday practices of Native Americans. The roadways that we take for granted and use for our daily commutes like I-91 and Route 2 follow the same footpaths that the natives used many years before the arrival of the Mayflower.

“When the Europeans came here, they wanted to get to a certain place as quickly as possible and once they had the ox carts to take them,” she explained. “They would go up these steep hills and in these horrible place — really hard to travel places — but the native footpaths followed the way that was easy so that families could travel.”

Lee also said the importance of a controlled burn was learned from the Native Americans, adding that the practice became rare when the settlers arrived and killed many of the natives who knew how and when to perform the burn.

“There were controlled burns that burnt off the land twice a year and the native people here knew how to do that. They knew when the conditions were right to burn the undergrowth so that it made more food for the deer and made it easier to travel,” she said, adding that it was a life necessity at that time.

Lee concluded her hour and a half presentation with a few words of advice for those who wish to trace their lineage. She told the audience about the benefits of reviewing historical documents such as census data and through her journey found out the best source of information comes from experiencing the culture and talking to relatives.

“The first thing you should do is get ahold of your relatives — especially your older ones — because they are the ones who are going to remember things like nicknames, places, and time and you get a piece of paper and write everything down that they tell you,” she said. “Anything on paper can be forged or lies, but the family stories are passed on for a reason.”

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 05:23:17 pm »
Nolumbeka sure loves promoting frauds. So does that small town paper. Around here, Jenny Lee is called "Treekiller."  She rips the bark off trees and kills them. She's not Indian. She doesn't know what she's doing. And she has slaughtered whole groves of trees to make her pretendian baskets that she sells to gullible non-Natives. Non-Natives like herself.

She has shown up at local events dressed like a historical re-enactor. When I first met her, all the Indians were avoiding her. Only the white people would talk to her.

She is lying about the Narragansett and Pequot thing. If she had any documentable ancestry, she'd be enrolled. Instead, like lots of the New England frauds who are also Italian and Jewish, she has repeatedly changed which tribe she claims her family stories are from. What fool would publish something like this that states that historical documents lie but people never do? If she had any heritage we'd have all heard by now, as she seeks publicity like this constantly. You'd almost think Treekiller had hired a PR agent. 

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:38 pm »
I goggled her and you're right she claims several different Native descendants, metis, Algonquin, Narragansett and Pequot. Even though Narragansett and Pequot are of the Algonquin speaking Tribes. Big red flag when someone doesn't know the difference and thinks Algonquin is a Tribe.

We have 3-4 pages on these Nolumbeka people, maybe we should split them off and give them they're own thread? Moderators what do you think?

Diana 

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 04:01:34 pm »
Diana there are nine Algonquin Bands in Canada. I have brought this up in other threads :) I'm Algonquin from Wolf Lake FN in Quebec. I am not sure why people think that there is only an Algonquin languge group.

This lady Jennifer Lee and the other people with Nolumbeka should have their own threads I think. I know a lady from Kitigan Zibi which is another Algonquin Nation who lives out by the Nolumbeka people and she tells me that every person associated with them is not Indian or they are distant descendants. The people they premote cause lots of problems and premote pretty serious stereotypes. They get paid speaking gigs that should go to actual FNIM or NA people. I also think Nolumbeka should get moved to frauds.

Offline mugzie101

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 08:12:51 pm »
Loril Moondream's real name is Laurie Lynn Flanagan.  She is not an indian of any sort.  She was born in Pittsfield, MA on June 14, 1956.  She was raised in Hinsdale, MA and graduated from Wahconah High School in Dalton, MA in 1974.  She is Irish, not Indian.  Major, major, Fraud!!!  She hides behind her so called Wildlife Rehabilitation Center called Medicine Mammals located in Wendell, MA  She has a new site where you can "donate" items or money to her.  Its www.medicinemammals.org.  She has all kinds of indian education programs she will do for a "small fee," based on her "first-hand knowledge" from growing up on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation in Arizona.  She needs to be exposed for the fraud she is.  Someone please stop her now!

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 12:54:24 am »
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0yYtnZSGsZAJ:www.recorder.com/news/police/fire/courts/13416765-95/district-court-logs-aug-26-sept2+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Loril L. Moondream 58, of Morse Village Road, Wendell. Pleaded innocent to operating with suspended license, released on personal recognizance, continued to 10/20/14 for pretrial conference. Must pay legal counsel fee of $150.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aueTsirQ_y4J:www.recorder.com/news/police/fire/courts/14546014-95/district-court-logs+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Loril L. Moondream, 58, of Morse Village Road, Wendell. Pleaded guilty to operating with suspended license, sentenced to 10 days in the house of correction, suspended, placed on probation until 8/17/15, with victim witness assessment of $50. Must pay legal counsel fee of $150.

"Loril" does presentations for kids. I'm wondering how she can possibly pass a CORI and be allowed into schools, libraries etc.

She and  Peter WhiteFox also sell jewelry and crafts.

Peter WhiteFox and Lori MoonDream, husband and wife, sold jewelry and crafts at the event, which was held at the Marshfield Fairgrounds in Massachusetts. They also run a non-profit organization.

“What we try to show people is that you can get safe things and recycled things resourcefully,” said WhiteFox. “[Native Americans] use all of the animal. We use all of the tree.”
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/05/28/joseph-fire-crow-celebrates-richness-native-culture-pow-wow-goers-155054

eta
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:03:19 am by omgsrsly? »

Offline mugzie101

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »
Obviously Loril is in violation of selling authentic Indian Jewelry.  Read the law below.
The ACT..

The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990 (P.L. 101-644) is a truth-in-advertising law that prohibits misrepresentation in marketing of Indian arts and crafts products within the United States. It is illegal to offer or display for sale, or sell any art or craft product in a manner that falsely suggests it is Indian produced, an Indian product, or the product of a particular Indian or Indian Tribe or Indian arts and crafts organization, resident within the United States. For a first time violation of the Act, an individual can face civil or criminal penalties up to a $250,000 fine or a 5-year prison term, or both. If a business violates the Act, it can face civil penalties or can be prosecuted and fined up to $1,000,000.

Under the Act, an Indian is defined as a member of any federally or State recognized Indian Tribe, or an individual certified as an Indian artisan by an Indian Tribe.

The law covers all Indian and Indian-style traditional and contemporary arts and crafts produced after 1935. The Act broadly applies to the marketing of arts and crafts by any person in the United States. Some traditional items frequently copied by non-Indians include Indian-style jewelry, pottery, baskets, carved stone fetishes, woven rugs, kachina dolls, and clothing.

All products must be marketed truthfully regarding the Indian heritage and tribal affiliation of the producers, so as not to mislead the consumer. It is illegal to market an art or craft item using the name of a tribe if a member, or certified Indian artisan, of that tribe did not actually create the art or craft item.

For example, products sold using a sign claiming "Indian Jewelry" would be a violation of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act if the jewelry was produced by someone other than a member, or certified Indian artisan, of an Indian tribe. Products advertised as "Hopi Jewelry" would be in violation of the Act if they were produced by someone who is not a member, or certified Indian artisan, of the Hopi tribe.

If you purchase an art or craft product represented to you as Indian-made, and you learn that it is not, first contact the dealer to request a refund. If the dealer does not respond to your request, you can also contact your local Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, and the local District Attorney's office, as you would with any consumer fraud complaint. Second, contact the Indian Arts and Crafts Board with your written complaint regarding violations of the Act.

Before buying Indian arts or crafts at powwows, annual fairs, juried competitions, and other events, check the event requirements on the authenticity of products being offered for sale. Many events list the requirements in newspaper advertisements, promotional flyers, and printed programs. If the event organizers make no statements on compliance with the Act or on the authenticity of Indian arts and crafts offered by participating vendors, you should obtain written certification from the individual vendors that their Indian arts or craftwork were produced by tribal members or by certified Indian artisans.

Offline mugzie101

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »
She is NOT a member of any federally or State recognized Indian Tribe, or certified as an Indian artisan by an Indian Tribe.  I don't know of any "Indian" with the last birth name of "Flanagan." 

This is the first thing I have found that she is doing that is prosecutable. 

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
I'm not sure if it's prosecutable but she is defrauding the state Fish and Wildlife. The only reason she was given the ability by Mass Fish and Wildlife to rehab fawns is because of her supposed indian status.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 07:13:47 pm »
I don't know of any "Indian" with the last birth name of "Flanagan." 

Peggy Flanagan who is White Earth Band of Ojibwe and is a state rep in Minnesota and many other indigenous people have the Flanagan surname. I am not arguing that Loril/Laurie is native, I don't believe for a minute that she is, just that we can't make generalizations based on last names :)

Offline mugzie101

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 09:53:48 pm »
Well I know she is not an Indian, because I am her sister, that is how I know all of these facts, birth date, schools, etc. about her.  As far as her using an indian status to become a wildlife rehabber, in MA anyone can become a wildlife rehab center.  No licensing or training is required.  They "suggest" you train with a licensed vet before appying, but anyone can do it.  Also, in MA, it is not illegal to use a different name other than your birth name, without even legally changing it, as long is it is not done for fraudulent purposes. Is running a nonprofit wildlife center really fraudulent?  I personally think so, but I am not sure. It is just a way she has found to get all her bills of daily living paid for, through donations to the center.  My complaint is that she could run this organization without claiming Indian heritage.  The fact of the matter is that she makes more money by "teaching the indian ways" and selling Indian jewelry, etc. and does not have to claim that money as income because she soliticts this money as "donations" to her nonprofit wildlife center.  Also, it is illegal to sell indian jewelry as authentic if you are not a certified member of a tribe.  She is scamming everyone and needs to be exposed.  I just don't know how to expose her.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »
I'm familiar with the workings of MassWildLife, I know what is required to become a rehabber. My point is The only reason she was given the ability by Mass Fish and Wildlife to rehab fawns is because of her supposed indian status.I was told that directly from the folks at the Belchertown office. If she stated on her application that she was native (which she seems to do EVERYWHERE) and she is not it would be considered an incomplete or improperly executed application and would fall under 321 CMR 2.12(8). Her permit would be revoked.

Most of us here know about IACA :)

The best way to expose her is to continue to post here. Also, I think it wouldn't hurt to contact the various places she does programs at and ask if they CORI individuals who present to children seeing that she was on probation until this past August. Her probation is a matter of public record.

Offline mugzie101

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »
I don't understand then why it is so hard to expose her and stop her.  Why didn't the Mass Fish and Wildlife request proof she was an Indian if that was why they granted her the license?, and how is she able to continue selling jewelry if the IACA laws prohibit it.  Who do I contact to expose her to the Mass Fish and Wildlife?  Who Do I contact for breaking the IACA laws.  I know very little about this, because I am NOT indian.  I only know any of this so far by researching the internet.  I never thought I would have to turn in my own sister for Fraud, but I just cant in good conscious let her continue taking money for being a so called Indian.