Author Topic: antiunilateral43, African-American genealogy (tangent from Santee of So. Carolina?)  (Read 19786 times)

Offline antiunilateral43

Would there happen to be anyone out there still willing to discuss this topic any further with me as it was my grandparents who came out of this tribe directly..
My Santee lineage is as follows:

Grand and Jane davis(full bloods)
Rachel Davis(full blooded great great grandmother)

Rachel Davis and Adam Singleton) Adam is the pets native and a quarter African american at this point but from another tribe

Lula singleton (great grandmother )
Lula Singleton marries Naketer Vann who's 100 percent African american

Lueva Ruth Vann (grandmother )

Who marries William Smith (also native and black)

Brenda Lyndell vann (my mother )

And finally me
Craig Lamont Vann

So as far as blood quantum goes what side of the tree do I fall on here (questions regarding validity of ties to D L N peoples aside)

Two words passed down to me from lueva Ruth vann when my family's history was passed to me orally(traditionally)
 "Wopida " which she said meant "thanks" and pezuta"
Which she said meant simply a certain type of root from a certain plant that my grandmother Rachel used to pick and use to cure sickness in local townspeople in sumpter south Carolina where she was raised. Those are the only two words passed to me....Ive been doing some traveling recently in the Dakotas to find out for myself personally if indeed these are the same people...I was also at a meeting September 23 in sisseton at agency village rez where a fourth was mentioned
D/L/N. And lastly a "T" takota..I've spoken to some very old wicasa from their early 60s to early 70s and even some young and very brilliant historians in places like niobrara Nebraska...sisseton. Rapid city SD and a few others ..they all said the exact same thing.. That the Carolinas are indeed the ancestral homelands of oceti sakowiin..the seven council fires...the story that seemed to repeat itself was the one I heard about before this supposed migration from back east to the plains areas in which there were individuals who had "visions of a pale skinned race who could kill them without touching them." Before ceremony I thought about and asked myself what it could have meant .and the answer that came back was "guns" and then another man said to me "and disease too" I've

Offline antiunilateral43

All I have to offer is a report. From my grandmothers own mouth ...a conversation that took place when I was around the age of thirteen . I had made a derogatory statement about natives while watching a television program. My mother (god rest the dead ) responded very sternly upon hearing what I had said in the house. And immediately sent me to my grandmother's house for a lesson in our family's history that way back we were descended from native peoples which at the time I didn't believe ..ive known my grandmother all my life ..and she was far from being a woman. That lied and was highly educated ...she mentioned the name Santee several times over ....gave me words. Two of them which strongly resembled the d dialect of Dakota which was spoken really close to the area of the coast of sc ..my family were  Davis...Mitchell and Enoch and singletons  ...as for my approach to things like ceremony ?? Those are personal but I don't mind exposing myself on here to you.......

I come from a highly disfunctional family
Evidence of generational trauma
The task of breaking that cycle in my own family
Has fallen to me ..I didn't chose it  it chose me
I'm perhaps the most likely to fail
Events of last year  loss of children and bereavement
Then an extraordinary incident of walking thru the street and hearing inipi songs in the middle of a Harlem street caused me to call around to places like pine ridge to ask questions as to why that happened ...and I got my answer ..which caused me to leave new York with courage and conviction as regards to what I was doing which led to other things. And finding out about ways to heal my sick spirit and heart...
INI GHA GHA   humbedecha. Wiwang wacipi ...prayer and then more prayer.  Making chanshasha. Picking red willow. Being of service to others. Honoring my promises and keeping my word and being honest. Being brave ...giving flesh 7 times over ....so yeah I. Been learning quite a bit under some good people and never ask cause I ain't gonna say who lol.   Omani luta chose me

Yuhapi anpetu luta "
Bduha naghi sica oyate "

Pidamaya Edo

And speaking the d feels good

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
i found Grand Davis b. 1859 d. 8-22-1900 Marion South Carolina
Spouse: Jane Ella b. 1869
Children
Fanny b. 1879
Mary b. 1892
Elliot b. 1893
Louise b.1894
Peter b. 1895
Golda b. 1898

I found Grand Davis 6th great father Morgan Davis came into this country in 1622 from Wales there is no mention of any Indian blood
there is Wales and Scottish blood,
This is all side of the family
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:29:04 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Since "Antiunilateral" never posted an intro, and the Santee of So. Carolina thread http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2182.0 temporarily devolved into a discussion of one person's genealogy and desire to learn ceremony, I've moved this tangent here to etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:51:15 pm by Kathryn »

• Global Moderator
I found Grand Davis 6th great father Morgan Davis came into this country in 1622 from Wales there is mention of any Indian blood
there is Wales and Scottish blood,
This is all side of the family

Did you mean, "there is NO mention of any Indian blood" ?

Epiphany

antiunilateral43, by publicly disclosing here your own traumatic past, you are potentially making yourself vulnerable to anyone who will tell you want to hear, to abusers who know how to groom needy people. If someone tells you that they recognize your spiritual nature, that they know your spiritual family, and that they can teach you NDN ways - will you fall for that? Or will you be able to practice discernment and healthy judgement so that you can steer clear of frauds?

Also, the members here should not have to apologize for speaking to you plainly, we should not feel that we have to be sensitive to you because you have had a difficult past. And we should not have to do your genealogy for you.

A grandmother who said some things, visions, a few words - this does not make you NDN.

You can have your genealogy professionally done, or learn to do it yourself. This means documenting each step of the way. This does not mean being led by assumptions and wishes. You may or may not have distant heritage. You can find out for sure.

If you have distant heritage, you can find ideas already posted here on the forum for folks in that situation.

Do this first, you might not even have distant heritage.

I understand how it can feel to have had a rough childhood, I understand how it feels to yearn for connection and family. I also know that presenting our own vulnerabilities to people we do not know online is not a good idea. Ultimately, we can not help you. Earth has already done quite a bit, I don't know if you are hearing her.

Do your genealogy, then if you want, read up on the history of the area where your people come from. You have a lot of work to do. Enjoy the adventure, it may take you to unexpected places and realizations.

Offline loudcrow

Name:    Grand Davis
Event Type:    Census
Event Year:    1870
Event Place:    South Carolina, United States
Race:    Black
Race (Original):    B
Birth Year (Estimated):    1843-1844
Birthplace:    South Carolina
Page Number:    27
Household    Role    Gender    Age    Birthplace
Grand Davis       M    26    South Carolina
Jane Davis       F    22    South Carolina
Rachel Davis       F    5    South Carolina
Thomas Davis       M    3    South Carolina
Grand Davis       M    1    South Carolina
Household ID: 217 , Line Number: 31 , Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) , Affiliate Publication Number: M593 , GS Film number: 000553008 , Digital Folder Number: 004275976 , Image Number: 00548

Name:    Jane Davis
Event Year:    1870
Event Place:    South Carolina, United States
Birth Year (Estimated):    1847-1848
Page Number:    27

Race: Enumerators could mark "W" for White, "B" for Black, "M" for Mulatto, "C" for Chinese [a category which included all east Asians], or "I" for American Indian.

Offline loudcrow

Grand Davis
United States Census, 1900
Name:    Grand Davis
Event Year:    1900
Event Place:    Sumter city Ward 1, 4, Sumter, South Carolina, United States
Marital Status:    Married
Relationship to Head of Household:    Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):    Head
Years Married:    10
Birth Date:    Jul 1859
Marriage Year (Estimated):    1890
Father's Birthplace:    South Carolina
Mother's Birthplace:    South Carolina
Grand Davis    Head    M    41    South Carolina
Janie Davis    Wife    F    31    South Carolina
Fannie Davis    Daughter    F    21    South Carolina
Mary Davis    Daughter    F    8    South Carolina
Elliott Davis    Son    M    7    South Carolina
Peter Davis    Son    M    5    South Carolina
Louisa Davis    Daughter    F    6    South Carolina
Carrie Davis    Daughter    F    4    South Carolina
Golda Davis    Daughter    F    2    South Carolina
Annie S Dick    Niece    F    14    South Carolina
District: 131 , Sheet Number and Letter: 22A , Household ID: 519 , Line Number: 40 , Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) , Affiliate Publication Number: T623 , GS Film Number: 1241543 , Digital Folder Number: 004120583 , Image Number:

Offline loudcrow

Adam Singleton
South Carolina Deaths
Name:    Adam Singleton
Event Date:    03 Feb 1940
Event Place:    Friendship, Clarendon, South Carolina
Race (Original):    Colored
Race:    Colored
Age (Original):    62y 0m 1d
Birth Year (Estimated):    1878
Birth Date:    01 Feb 1882
Birthplace:    Clarendon, South Carolina
Marital Status:    Widowed
Spouse's Name:    Rachel Singleton
Father's Name:    Buster Singleton
Father's Birthplace:    Clarendon, South Carolina
Mother's Name:    Charlotte
Mother's Birthplace:    Clarendon, South Caroina
Burial Place:    Summerton, South Carolina
Burial Date:    07 Feb 1940
GS Film number: 1943876 , Digital Folder Number: 4179178 , Image Number: 1479 , Reference ID: fn 2269

Offline loudcrow

Buster Singleton
United States Census, 1940
Name:    Buster Singleton
Event Date:    1940
Event Place:    Township 3 Georgetown, Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
Race (Original):    Negro
Race:    Negro
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):    Son-In-Law
Relationship to Head of Household:    Son-in-law
Birth Year (Estimated):    1918
Last Place of Residence:    Same House
James Frasier    Head    F    69    South Carolina
Buster Singleton    Son-in-law    M    22    South Carolina
Maggie Singleton    Daughter    F    21    South Carolina
Betty Singleton    Granddaughter    F    5    South Carolina
Christina Singleton    Granddaughter    F    3    South Carolina
Heneretta Singleton    Granddaughter    F    1    South Carolina
District: 22-7 , Family Number: 769 , Sheet Number and Letter: 52B , Line Number: 64 , Affiliate Publication Number: T627 , Affiliate Film Number: 3810 , Digital Folder Number: 005461901 , Image Number: 00371

Maggie Singleton
United States Census, 1940
Name:    Maggie Singleton
Event Date:    1940
Event Place:    Township 3 Georgetown, Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):    Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household:    Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated):    1919
Last Place of Residence:    Same House

Offline loudcrow

Lulu Singleton
United States Census, 1930
Name:    Lulu Singleton
Event Year:    1930
Event Place:    Statesburg, Sumter, South Carolina, United States
Marital Status:    Single
Relationship to Head of Household:    Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):    Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated):    1928
Father's Birthplace:    South Carolina
Mother's Birthplace:    South Carolina
Nelson Singleton    Head    M    39    South Carolina
Rosa Singleton    Wife    F    38    South Carolina
Janie Singleton    Daughter    F    14    South Carolina
Minnie Singleton    Daughter    F    10    South Carolina
Mamie Singleton    Daughter    F    8    South Carolina
Isarel Singleton    Son    M    7    South Carolina
Lawson Singleton    Son    M    5    South Carolina
Lulu Singleton    Daughter    F    2    South Carolina
District: 0024 , Sheet Number and Letter: 3A , Household ID: 51 , Line Number: 49 , Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) , Affiliate Publication Number: T626 , Affiliate Film Number: 2214 , GS Film number: 2341948 , Digital Folder Number: 004547343 , Image Number: 00115

Epiphany

Re: Santee of South Carolina??
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 06:22:28 pm »
loudcrow is doing great work here.

I figure this is a good place to stash this link to article "High Cheekbones and Straight Black Hair?
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro: Why most black people aren’t “part Indian,” despite family lore." by Henry Louis Gates Jr. http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2014/04/why_most_black_people_aren_t_part_indian.html

Again, here are the statistics: Whereas virtually all African Americans have a considerable amount of European ancestry in their genomes, only 19 percent have at least 1 percent Native American ancestry, and only 5 percent of African American people carry more than 2 percent Native American ancestry. How do these percentages translate into ancestry? Well, if you have 5 percent Native American ancestry in your admixture result, that means you had one Native American ancestor four to five generations back (120 to 150 years ago). If you have 2 percent Native American ancestry, you had one such ancestor on your family tree five to nine generations back (150 to 270 years ago). One percent of Native American ancestry means that this ancestor entered your bloodline six to 10 generations back (180 to 300 years ago).

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
Re: Re: Santee of South Carolina??
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 07:14:12 pm »
loudcrow is doing great work here.

I figure this is a good place to stash this link to article "High Cheekbones and Straight Black Hair?
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro: Why most black people aren’t “part Indian,” despite family lore." by Henry Louis Gates Jr. http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2014/04/why_most_black_people_aren_t_part_indian.html

Again, here are the statistics: Whereas virtually all African Americans have a considerable amount of European ancestry in their genomes, only 19 percent have at least 1 percent Native American ancestry, and only 5 percent of African American people carry more than 2 percent Native American ancestry. How do these percentages translate into ancestry? Well, if you have 5 percent Native American ancestry in your admixture result, that means you had one Native American ancestor four to five generations back (120 to 150 years ago). If you have 2 percent Native American ancestry, you had one such ancestor on your family tree five to nine generations back (150 to 270 years ago). One percent of Native American ancestry means that this ancestor entered your bloodline six to 10 generations back (180 to 300 years ago).

Video if you don't want to read:

http://youtu.be/wWzsSg4TUMw

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Santee of South Carolina??
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »
seems like someone likes going through archives of 300 year old documents and pulling the name of some small obscure tribe and ressurecting it as an existing people

That is indeed what a lot of these groups are doing.

The Gates video is very good. Good work, everyone.

Offline loudcrow

In the 1910 U.S. Census, both Adam and Rachel Singleton are listed as being Mulatto. Their daughter, Luella, is also listed as Mulatto.

Name:    Kater J Vann
Wife:    Lulu Singleton
Child:    Lueva Ruth Vann
Other information in the record of Lueva Ruth Vann
from North Carolina, Birth Index
Name:    Lueva Ruth Vann
Event Type:    Birth
Event Date:    03 Mar 1928
Event Place:    New Hanover, North Carolina
Father's Name:    Kater J Vann
Mother's Name:    Lulu Singleton
Page:    128