Author Topic: Mark Robert Lumaye AKA Shaman Swadwa AKA Gothi Thorbjorn (Central Oregon Coast)  (Read 44800 times)

Epiphany

Re: Shaman 'Swadwa' (Central Oregon Coast)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:14 am »

Very well done, Epiphany - congrats!

Could this be our tom-cat on the prowl, too?

http://www.mylife.com/c-1504746564

Mark R Lumaye was born in 1964. Mark currently lives in Creswell, Oregon. Before that, Mark lived in Long Beach, WA from 1999 to 2003. Before that, Mark lived in Long Beach, WA from 1998 to 1998.

http://www.godessgalactica.com/earthguest_cougar.html I think this might be our guy, the video is brief audio of his description of healing a woman.

The My Life info matches what I've come up with elsewhere - born 1964, lived in coastal communities Washington state USA. On Facebook he says he is now in Wisconsin (Updated - actually his hometown is in WI, not where he lives now). Looks like that is where he was originally from.

Maybe he will decide to focus on his fiction writing only, that would be a great resolution.

:) Since this involves some of my own regional home turf (I'm not NDN, I'm white, but I live in western Washington and know how popular pseudo-shaman stuff is out here) , I'm especially motivated.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:53:20 am by Epiphany »

Epiphany

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 02:07:18 am »
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3822.msg32030#msg32030

I want to bookmark this part of Swadwa's writings that catbus found and posted:

My experience with them has taught me that anything is possible where they are concerned, as with many demonic forces, and that shamanic and spiritual warfare will be the best defense against them. And, from what I have learned, they may be the same race as the Fomorians of Celtic Mythology.
(my bolding)

There are lots of problems with what Swadwa preaches, this is just one such problem but I want to make sure it is highlighted. Many newagers believe that everything has a universal meaning, that everything can be reduced down to a few common themes. As if we are all alike, everything is ultimately the same, and who we are and where we come from doesn't much mean anything.

So he is claiming here that he has discovered a Great Universality. Plus he can ride The Celtic Mystic Train too.

Offline catbus

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 02:24:51 am »
post deleted
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:01:27 pm by catbus »

Offline catbus

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 02:30:04 am »
post deleted
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:02:13 pm by catbus »

Offline catbus

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 06:00:01 am »

http://www.godessgalactica.com/earthguest_cougar.html I think this might be our guy, the video is brief audio of his description of healing a woman.

Indeed, and that link also provides an unaltered photo of him, as well as a video of him. He is sitting there talking about how he sees 'auras'.

:) Since this involves some of my own regional home turf (I'm not NDN, I'm white, but I live in western Washington and know how popular pseudo-shaman stuff is out here) , I'm especially motivated.

Whatever the race, the truth is the truth. If a questionable figure is misrepresenting Native traditions, that is a colonialistic force which should be investigated and opposed. So your assistance in finding such information is helpful, it doesn't matter what the race is. And yes, this region is a new age playground it seems, shamanic BS is really growing in popularity. *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:15:14 am by catbus »

Epiphany

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:29 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/user/Robertetter70/videos?view=1 This looks to be him too. He's removed all the "Spirit Cougar" labeled playlist videos.

I read his The Shaman Adventures last night. His main char is Shadow Panther  “I am a part blood Tsinúk Indian. Some call us Chinook.” - out to save the world from “The L’xuina’?.”
They are what my tribe’s ancestors called the Shadow Land People. They are known by many names by many native peoples. They are a supernatural race who tormented many Indian tribes, but my ancestors are the only ones I know of who journeyed to their realm and took the fight to them on their ground.”

(Some amusing side notes: men in Shadow Panther's team wear black tshirts, women wear black halter tops, and Lady Mystic in the final story is really named Lilith).

Sometimes the enemies are represented as zombies. These stories are worth reading to get a sense of the author. I wonder if he is using them only as his fictional creative expression or if he uses them as teaching stories too. One of the details of an item used by the enemy caught my attention, hope it isn't authentic traditional knowledge being publicized this way.

Offline catbus

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/user/Robertetter70/videos?view=1 This looks to be him too. He's removed all the "Spirit Cougar" labeled playlist videos.

I read his The Shaman Adventures last night. His main char is Shadow Panther  “I am a part blood Tsinúk Indian. Some call us Chinook.” - out to save the world from “The L’xuina’?.”
They are what my tribe’s ancestors called the Shadow Land People. They are known by many names by many native peoples. They are a supernatural race who tormented many Indian tribes, but my ancestors are the only ones I know of who journeyed to their realm and took the fight to them on their ground.”

(Some amusing side notes: men in Shadow Panther's team wear black tshirts, women wear black halter tops, and Lady Mystic in the final story is really named Lilith).

Sometimes the enemies are represented as zombies. These stories are worth reading to get a sense of the author. I wonder if he is using them only as his fictional creative expression or if he uses them as teaching stories too. One of the details of an item used by the enemy caught my attention, hope it isn't authentic traditional knowledge being publicized this way.

Epiphany- Indeed it sounds like he is mixing his real-life fantasies with his fantasy writing. Recall that his writing on the "the great cleansing" talked about the same Lxuina shadow people and how they have the potential to destroy the world, and how the time is coming when the best shamans or 'spirit warriors' are the ones who are able to combat them. This guy is delusional, the only cleansing this world needs in this time is to get rid of all the human forces who persistently colonize peoples, cultures, and the Earth. 'Shadow People' are the least of the worries at this state of humanity. Personally, after all that we have found here in this thread, I tend to get annoyed reading about his delusions, so I just don't have the patience to read his fantasy stories. I hope people catch on to him sooner or later, because this guy is just another ego-case with grandiose delusions about himself and his spiritual practice. A true spiritual teacher, guide, healer, medicine person, shaman, whatever, must be humble and from the heart; this guy is just a typical arrogant amerikkkan playing on stereotypes and fantasies. He is not a traditional etaminua, nor is he a Chinook Elder, he's just catering to new age fantasies.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:30:34 am by catbus »

Offline catbus

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
I have a friend who is enrolled Siletz (who is also Chinook/Tsinuk on the other side of his family), and I will show him this information, in hopes that he will pass it on to some other members. There's no guarantee the message will reach whichever Siletz folks are Swadwa's clients, but at least it will get the word out more down there in Siletz country where he's at. I get the sense Swadwa's ego could be rather dangerous if people get too involved with him and his teachings/services. Not to mention, the more students or apprentices he teaches, the more his bogus act will spread.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:56:30 am by catbus »

Offline catbus

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 04:51:12 am »

Maybe he will decide to focus on his fiction writing only, that would be a great resolution.

I have a feeling that is not going to happen, but I agree that it would certainly be a great resolution.

Epiphany

Re: Mark Robert Lumaye AKA Shaman 'Swadwa' (Central Oregon Coast)
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »
catbus if you want, I think you can go back and edit your first post to add in Swadwa's other names to the title: Mark Robert Lumaye, Shadow of Man, R.J Lumaye, Spirit Cougar. Maybe at least add Robert Lumaye, this will help other folks out a lot who might be researching him.

(my bolding in this post)

http://ministers.themonastery.org/profile/Swadwa
He is also an ordained minister and certified spiritual healer through The International Assembly of Spiritual Healers and Earth Stewards. This congregation is dedicated to preserving and protecting the traditional totemism beliefs of its members. Totemism is a system of belief in which humans have a connection or a kinship with a spirit being such as an animal or plant. The totem interacts with a given group or an individual and serves as their emblem or symbol. This congregation's membership consists of people from multiple traditional cultures and tribes.

International Assembly of Spiritual Healers & Earth Stewards Seattle WA http://www.shes.org/ - research on other people here led us back to this group too, for instance http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=836.msg4387#msg4387 (Lumaye uses "totem" themes in his fiction a lot.)

International Assembly of Spiritual Healers & Earth Stewards last updated their current affairs page in 1999.  Lumaye is using the same terms as they do:

SHES provides a system whereby persons nominated by a member congregation can be ordained as ministers and/or appointed as Certified Spiritual Healers ...

So Lumaye says he is trained and certified by this SHES group. Looks like there are many ways to be "certified" by this group, including through Lynn Andrews herself:
The Lynn Andrews Center for Sacred Arts and Training:
This Certificate of Completion entitles you to be ordained by The Rev. Lynn Andrews and eligible to become a minister of sacred healing arts through an affiliation with the International Assembly of Sacred Healers and Earth Stewards subject to the regulations of your state or country of residence.
http://lynnandrews.com/lacsat/program-and-tuition/
She tweaked the words a bit, but about 30 of her people (and herself) are on the SHES page http://www.shes.org/main/usefulinks.htm as members.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:29:42 pm by educatedindian »

Offline catbus

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:47 am »
This explains what he meant when he referred to himself as 'Certified Spiritual Healer', which I was curious about. Though I still don't see what the point of such certification is, or why any supposed traditional would feel a need to be 'certified' by such an organization.

Epiphany

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:51 pm »
Coming Soon
Shaman of the Northlands

A brand new series of shaman stories involving a Scandinavian shaman named Bjorn.

http://rjsworlds.weebly.com/announcements.html

That is his new creative writing project above. Following leads from his Facebook found his new site:

Gothi Thorbjorn is a traditionally apprenticed shaman. For over two and a half decades Thorbjorn has been providing spiritual guidance and healing. He has amassed a great deal of knowledge and experience in spiritual matters. He has taught several students over that time frame, and has worked with shaman and medicine people from several native cultures. As a gothi he is available for spiritual counseling, spiritual exams, spirit animal introductions, spirit healing, soul retrievals, spirit transitions, spirit communication, spirit protection, and  spirit removals.

http://gothithorbjorn.weebly.com/about.html

A NORSE SPIRITUAL LEADER

http://www.facebook.com/NoaidiThorbjorn

https://twitter.com/GothiThorbjorn

Njordhof (Temple of the God Njord) is Thorbjorn's temple. Njord is the Norse god of the sea, seafaring, wind, fishing, wealth and crop fertility. These are all major elements in the lives of the local people where Thorbjorn lives (on the Oregon Coast), and therefore, the most influential god upon their lives.

http://gothithorbjorn.weebly.com/njordhof.html

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:19:21 pm by Epiphany »

Epiphany

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:15 pm »
Today gothi’s assistants not only provide such traditional services as listed above, but also provide more modern services, such as clerical duties like, maintaining client documentation, client contact, supplies maintenance and ordering, as well as assisting the gothi in client healing rites and life passage rites and ceremonies.

Training is provided with the requirements of being available when needed, and a genuine willingness to help. If you would like to assist Gothi Thorbjorn, and as such participate in healings, ceremonies and gatherings, and live on the central Oregon coast or in the Willamette Valley, please contact him.

http://gothithorbjorn.weebly.com/njordhof.html

A creative way to get his house cleaned for free.

Offline catbus

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:22 am »
Wow. Apparently he can't even figure out who he is, or what tradition or persona he wants to sell. Since when does a supposed (and likely dubious) apprenticeship in some Native tradition qualify one as a Norse spiritual leader? And since when does being a fake Chinook Shaman/Etaminua make one a 'traditional Norse spiritual leader'? He just seems to love to create personas based on traditional spiritual leader titles, misrepresenting traditions just to feed his ego and cater to white new age ignorance. If he actually for real, he wouldn't make up these names to play on white stereotypes and explanations. He is fixated on the persona, because he does not have the true foundation for a traditional spiritual leader: community.
Thorbjorn is a traditional Norse spiritual leader called a Gothi (pronounced goe-th-ee).
He has appropriated two false titles: Etaminua and Gothi. Because new age shamanism is all the same mishmash, he can offer the same bogus services under both shamanic personas:
Gothi Thorbjorn is a traditionally apprenticed shaman.
He has taught several students over that time frame, and has worked with shaman and medicine people from several native cultures. As a gothi he is available for spiritual counseling, spiritual exams, spirit animal introductions, spirit healing, soul retrievals, spirit transitions, spirit communication, spirit protection, and spirit removals.
[Bold added by author for emphasis]

Doesn't sound all that different from his advertisements for himself as a 'traditionally-apprenticed Etaminua', as he is just peddling the typical new age-isms (spirit animals, etc...). The 'spirit exams' sound particularly interesting  ::) *barf*
Under his persona as 'Shaman Swadwa' he claimed his traditional apprenticeship is with a Native tribe, though that is certainly dubious also, because he never stated which tribe it was, and he admittted that the Chinook medicine lineages were lost. So anyways, I would be really interested to hear him state which tribe's traditions qualify one as both a Chinook Shaman and a Scandinavian one too. I will add Gothi Thorbjorn to his list of aliases in the first post, and I would also suggest that the Moderators add it into the title of this thread, as they have done with his name Mark Robert Lumaye.
A gothi (pronounced goe-th-ee) is a Norse spiritual leader. There is no singular description of a gothi's duties, for they often develop their own distinct practices based on the guidance received from the gods and spirits around them. They have been described by many sources as priest, spiritualist, shaman, etc., and have even held the duties of clan/village leader or chief, for the Norse traditionally looked to their spiritual leaders as their community leaders as well.
Here, he is setting himself up to claim himself as a Chief/Elder, the same way he has claimed to be a Chinook Elder/Chief.

Epiphany: All this shows you were certainly correct back when you first noticed 'shaman swadwa' was setting himself up to ride the 'celtic mystic train'. This figure is obviously a stereotypical new age colonialist, one who seems to be online everywhere trying to draw more clients and students to himself. People like this are dangerous, people who misrepresent traditions, posing as some kind of traditional leader and spokesperson of this or that culture. If they were honest spiritual healers, they wouldn't do such things, so usually when this sort of thing happens, they are doing it for personal reasons: usually selfish and desirous motivations such as ego gratification, financial exploitation, or sex. These people really have some nerve to do all this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:24:22 am by catbus »

Offline catbus

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 01:14:03 am »
Njordhof (Temple of the God Njord) is Thorbjorn's temple. Njord is the Norse god of the sea, seafaring, wind, fishing, wealth and crop fertility. These are all major elements in the lives of the local people where Thorbjorn lives (on the Oregon Coast), and therefore, the most influential god upon their lives.

This quote is funny: A supposed Chinook man, talking about the region of some of his ancestral Native relatives, stating that some Norse god is the "most influential god" to that area. This is new age logic: Chinook, Norse, it's all the same, right?
Lol...