Author Topic: Hopi ear candles  (Read 18862 times)

Hopi ear candles
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:58:47 pm »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Hopi ear candles
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 02:53:02 pm »
In some older posts in an earlier version of NAFPS we looked into this. The Hopi don't use ear candles. As far as we could find out no Native tribe does either. All the ear candling sites are in Britain.

Offline AlaskaGrl

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 08:36:57 pm »
>slaps head<    HOW could I have forgotten about those!   loosing my mind......          Been a rough day today.

I did find this from a Dr. in the UK  -- In case a certified "Hopi Ear Candeler" happens to stumble in here, look around and wonder. What's up!  
(that is if they take the time to read)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/ent/207906.html

""Hopi ear candles

Question

What is the medical profession’s opinion, generally, of Hopi ear candles? Specifically, regarding their effectiveness and their safety (if used at home by the individual). I am interested in using them but want to make sure.

Answer

I am afraid the blunt answer here is that the medical profession has an extremely cynical and sceptical view of such 'treatment'.

There is no scientific evidence I know of, that such a therapy works or has any proven benefit, and the idea that an ear candle can improve general well being is hard to fathom by the vast majority of doctors.

However, it should do you no harm at least but I would advise against anyone inserting anything smaller than their elbow into their ear! The ear canal is sensitive and prone to infection, cuts and swelling and in extreme cases inserting objects of any kind can cause damage to the eardrum itself. Personally, I would suggest you saved your money!

Yours sincerely

Dr Roger Henderson, GP ""

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:41:49 am »
This is not just useless and nothing to do with Hopis; it's dangerous.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

A 1996 survey of 144 ear, nose, and throat physicians, found that 14 had seen patients who had been harmed by ear candling, including at least 13 cases of external burns, 7 cases of ear canal obstruction with candle wax, and 1 perforated eardrum
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by Barnaby_McEwan »

Offline misternick03

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:37:25 am »
Hello everyone.

Well, the Hopi ear candle trail finally rears its head again.

Here's the scoop from when I was at Hopi last year. I'd seen the ear candles in health food stores in the UK and presumed that they were 'authentic'. I wasn't really into researching the candles, but they kept cropping up.

The key is in the packaging. They are made by a German company called Biosun. They are not Hopi - they have their own ways of dealing with troublesome wax! The herbs used are not local to northeastern arizona. The picture of the 'keeper of the fire tablets' is a guy from Hotevilla, but it is unclear whether he gave permission to have this picture utilised in such a way. The 'archaeological' evidence of Hopi ear candles being rooted in prehistory, is in fact a section of the murals painted in the watchtower at the Grand Canyon, by Fred Kabotie (Hopi) in the 1950s, and are prayer feathers, not candles.

The Hopi Cultural Preservation Office are aware of the issue, having been contacted by a number of 'Thermo-auricular therapists' from the UK, as well as being provided a packet of the candles by the odd itinerant anthro from Belfast!!

According to one of the best humorists at Hopi that I know, they're for cleaning your ears to help you hear the Hopi Prophecies better!

Hope that helps,

Nick

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:19:44 am »
That's interesting; thanks.

Offline brodjaman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »

According to one of the best humorists at Hopi that I know, they're for cleaning your ears to help you hear the Hopi Prophecies better!

Nick

I love that comment :)  ;D ;D ;D :)

Offline Sparks

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 03:54:03 am »

Offline Sparks

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:05:25 pm »
Check this out: http://www.lynnehancher.co.uk/aaahop.htm

"404 Not Found". However, I found this at that site:

Course: Hopi Ear Candling (Thermoauricular therapy)
Date:   To be arranged
Description One to one tuition to allow you to attend course around your work/family commitments.
Cost      £ 110
Deposit   £ 30
Duration:   1 day
Venue:   To be arranged at time of booking

Offline Sparks

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 12:46:39 am »
There is another, relevant thread in the forum:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2960.0
[Lorraine Tricksey - Hopi Ear Candling Workshops]