Author Topic: Cherokees of Alabama  (Read 18920 times)

Offline BlackWolf

Re: Cherokees of Alabama
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:48 am »
@BW
you said above:
"I’m not saying culture isn’t important, just that your either “Cherokee by blood” or your not".

Are you saying that the Dawes rolls are the only way to be Cherokee by blood?

Hey Paul.  I see your back from your banishment.  haha just kidding.  No, I'm not saying the Dawes Rolls are the only way.  There's a lot of other rolls and censuses people can use to establish that they are Cherokee.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:23 am »
Which rolls were your Cherokee ancestors on Pau?  I think I remember you said you found them on a census or something if I remember right.   

Offline Paul123

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 10:37:14 am »
@BW
you said above:
"I’m not saying culture isn’t important, just that your either “Cherokee by blood” or your not".

Are you saying that the Dawes rolls are the only way to be Cherokee by blood?

Hey Paul.  I see your back from your banishment.  haha just kidding.  No, I'm not saying the Dawes Rolls are the only way.  There's a lot of other rolls and censuses people can use to establish that they are Cherokee.

OK, Just so we all understand.

Which rolls were your Cherokee ancestors on Paul?  I think I remember you said you found them on a census or something if I remember right.   

On one side, (Sutton) Some were early settlers, (Arkansas census). Some were on (and died) on the Trail of Tears, (Ward/Sutton). Some were in the Civil war (union NDN home guard) (Ely and Joshua).   and some just stayed on their farm.( my direct line) They did move around a lot back then but, I guess that each opted for what they thought was best for them. (one of gGrandfather's sons went to I.T. after the TOT and stayed).  The other side (Hulsey) is one of those stories that you hear about. Family rumor thingy has it that gGrandma would beat the crap out of her kids if they mentioned it.

So you see I can identify with all sides of this debate. 

Offline Paul123

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 01:42:39 pm »
Just a small thingy from page 1:
@BW
you said:
 "I know someone who was involved with the Echota Cherokee Tribe of Alabama and he told me that they can enroll someone with just a signed affidavit from someone testifying that the person in question is or was known to be Cherokee."

As I said before, I have family in this Tribe. So I talked to a member of the Tribe about what you said. They told me that yes, an signed affidavit may be used to prove linage to someone that records prove to be an NDN from Ala. For example, let's say that 4 generations ago you have a relative that is on some roll or other document. You must produce a genealogical tree to that person and then the documents that connect you to each person in that tree.  but due to a lack of a proper paper trail you can't produce a birth or death cert somewhere in the middle. My friend said that an affidavit stating that this person was in fact your relative, as stated in your tree could be used. But that it is not intended to be used in place of a tree and the other documents.

Now of course there may be examples found that this was not always the case but, then again,,, one could also do the same thing with the Dawes rolls too.

BTW:
 I found it odd that you would ask for my info and then didn't bother to reply to the answer.
I feel that I gave you more than anyone normally would over the open internet. but yet, no reply,,, hummm ????

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 04:48:55 pm »
Paul,
These people will never accept anyone as being Cherokee who isn't federally recognized. The irony is that they assume that the white government saved them. I really hope that federal recognition is taken away from the CNO, and that Indian people will be able to simply one day be people and be able to get the hell out of the 19th century. You should check out some of the recent posts in the Freedmens thread. Sorry, but these people are racists.
Frank

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 05:43:37 pm »
OMG.  That's a lot of gall you have there.  So you've met every single one of them in order to make such a statement?  Never mind, I don't care to hear any more.  After reading this, and the other posts, I have to say I am leaning to agree with the argument that you yourself are racist..

It's obvious the only reason you posted this was to offend and inflame..  you already have a thread in the Etcetera forum.. why do you have to hijack yet another thread with your anti-Cherokee racist remarks?   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:55:43 pm by critter »
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Paul123

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 08:54:03 pm »
Paul,
These people will never accept anyone as being Cherokee who isn't federally recognized. The irony is that they assume that the white government saved them. I really hope that federal recognition is taken away from the CNO, and that Indian people will be able to simply one day be people and be able to get the hell out of the 19th century. You should check out some of the recent posts in the Freedmens thread. Sorry, but these people are racists.
Frank

Wow,, holy crap where did that come from.
OK I went over and read all of your thread. my position is simple. It was the will of the Tribe,,, so be it. Right or wrong doesn't matter. As I said in other threads,,, it is what it is,,,

Offline bls926

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 03:01:43 am »
Paul,
Frank

Why are you so full of hate? Especially toward the CNO? Do you hate the EBCI or UKB with equal intensity? The more you post, the more you come across as prejudiced . . .  prejudiced against citizens of the CNO, especially those mixed with white. Do you hate yourself because you're mixed-blood Cherokee? If you hate the Cherokee so much, forget about your Cherokee blood; live your life as a bi-racial person.

Most Indian people don't want to "simply . . . be people". They are proud of their heritage; proud to be Cherokee or Mvskoke or Lenape or Oneida. "get the hell out of the 19th century" . . . What's that supposed to mean? If you're talking about pride in your Nation; the belief in sovereignty; the right of a Nation to set citizenship requirements . . . You couldn't be more wrong. That's not 19th century. That's the way it should be. Time will never change that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:51:11 am by bls926 »

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 03:55:01 am »
BTW:
 I found it odd that you would ask for my info and then didn't bother to reply to the answer.
I feel that I gave you more than anyone normally would over the open internet. but yet, no reply,,, hummm ?

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was just curious which Roll it was because you mentioned it before in one of the other Threads.     

Offline Paul123

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:32 am »
BTW:
I feel that I gave you more than anyone normally would over the open internet. but yet, no reply,,, hummm ?

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was just curious which Roll it was because you mentioned it before in one of the other Threads.     

That's cool, I just thought you were going somewhere with your question..