Author Topic: Phil Crazy Bull  (Read 9273 times)

Jim Tree

Phil Crazy Bull
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:25:20 pm »
Hi All,
I have been running across mentions of this guy and from what I have found, he is on the verge of some pretty bad "behavior". I found a letter from Arvol condeming his sundances in europe which sound pretty bad, but I wondered if anyone here had more info on him. He is located in New Mexico, is apairently full blood Lakota and "ordained" by Crow Dog.
Thanks,
Tree

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Phil Crazy Bull
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:13:27 pm »
PCB sells workshops in Sedona. You can also go on a "vortex energy spot" tour, sleep in a tipi with carpeting and futons, and enjoy "catered vegetarian meals".

http://www.journeytotheheart.org/OLDstuff/lakota.htm

He's also a buddy of Mary Grimes AKA "Mary Thunder."
http://www.marythunder.com/SpiritualServicesEvents/Events/4DConference/4D2000/Elders/ChiefPhilCrazyBull.htm

He does seem to have worked on some causes, appeared at an AIDs conference and Big Mountain support.

jimTree

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:44:19 pm »
Thanks, makes sense he hangs with Mary!

Offline Bahesmama

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:08 am »
Hi,  He passed away this time last year.  I knew him when he was running a circle in Alburquerque.  He was also associated with Jim Funmaker out of San Pedro, California (Long Beach).  He seemed genuine, although, perhaps, willing to work with the New Agers more than some would like.  I am Nakota.  He truly cared about the ceremonies and was very meticulous about them.  I helped with a Yuwipi he did and it was truly amazing.  I can't say anything he taught was any different from what my grandfather taught me.  Perhaps, he had vanities and such, and he was, just a man in many ways.  But I never saw him drink or act in strange ways (accept when he was heyoka in ceremony at the Big Moutain Sundance).  He was always approachable and easy going.  Yes, he liked the ladies, but he never oppressed the women, or grabbed us or did anything like that (all of which I've seen "authentic" old grandpas do on the reservation).  He was respectful of me as an educated young Indian woman.  Crow Dog could act in ways that were crazy or kind of scary on a personal level, but not Crazy Bull.  He was also a counselor at the Indian Health center in Albuquerque.  He had earned his Masters Degree in Psychology at UNM.

I suppose he upset Arvol with his doings in Sedona and Europe.  I can't speak to that, of course.  But poor Arvol, he has to police so much and I think he's a bit at his wit's end sometimes.  Do I think that Phil did any harm?  I think anyone who paid him money wrapped in red cloth with tobacco (gifted is what they call it) would get the real thing.  He was a real Yuwipi man and called in the spirits in a powerful way.  The things I saw, that we all saw, I can't explain away, even now.  And I help set up that room, so I know it was no "David Copperfield" sort of stage.  Also, he never charged for sweats or vision quests or helping at the Sundance. 

And, the ceremonies were really conducted through the circle, the group and the money went mostly to just basic costs for having the larger ceremonies.  He did a lot of work gathering everything, I'm sure he barely broke even in the end.  He would always come to the meetings with lists and made sure we all could help in small ways as suited us.  He was very organized, yet never demanding or demeaning.  He always had a joyful nature.  I know this is beginning to sound like a bit much, but I'm only really appreciating all this now some years later, having worked with others since.  People can get quite crazy and hurtful when organizing a big event, even a group of white people at my son's preschool auction.  Phil was an effective, supportive, low-key organizer in comparison to some of these botoxed soccer moms I deal with now!  He got a lot done without a lot of fireworks.  That's probably why so many wanted to work with him.  He was also dependable.  If he said he'd do something, he did it.

I'm also Navajo and I know traditional medicine men have always asked my family for cash and jewelry and cattle in payment for ceremonies.  So, I don't quite understand what all the fuss is about.  I mean, my family has paid as much as $5000 (in cattle, jewelry and cash) for a medicine man to perform a 9-day ceremony.  And my traditional Navajo grandparents who spoke very little English thought that was very appropriate.  In fact, they tried to give the best they could.  Best cow, best concho belt, etc.  It was a point of pride.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:29:40 am by Bahesmama »