Author Topic: Pipestone on eBay  (Read 26805 times)

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Pipestone on eBay
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 11:12:26 pm »
Earthw7
All I know is the pipestone is sacred to us. I can not talk for other tribes. The pipestone is the blood of our people. We are taught not to abuse the stone. We don't use it is a bad way. We don't make earrings ect... out of it.I can't talk for people who do these things. We had heard that people believe that it is ok to use the pipestone because it has not been blessed but we prefer not to use it other than prayer.

The thing I notice is , these vague "traditions of other tribes" get used to justify ignoring the authority of tribal Elders who clearly say these traditions should not be commercialized .

So I am wondering .... Who exactly are these "other tribes" and what are their traditions ?
It is frequently pointed out the quarry was considered a neutral area , and no one was prevented from accessing it. However , tribes clearly did have traditional territories. In the 1600's the Dakota agreed to allow the Ojibway to hunt on the Eastern fringes of their territory in exchange for trade with the French . I would guess whatever tribes controlled the territory surrounding the quarry were primarily responsible for protecting this as a Sacred place and maintaining this as a neutral territory . In other words , other tribes were coming as guests , and i doubt any of these guest tribes who used this stone has a right to exploit it in a way one of the original host tribes feels is wrong . 

I don't know much , but from what I can learn the tribes that may have occupied this area in the past 500 years aren't that many .

In the 1600's the Chippewa lived mainly in the area of SE Michigan .
The Cheyenne are known to have lived along the Minnesota river in the 1600's .
The Dakota are known to have lived in the Mille Lacs Lake area of Central Minnesota in the 1600's and this was said to be the Eastern Fringes of their territory .
The Otto , and Iowa lived mainly in Southern Iowa .
The Omaha lived in central Nebraska , the Sauk & Fox lived in central Wisconsin
The Winnabago lived in the Green Bay area .
 According to their own tribal webpage the Mandan lived in Southwestern Minnesota , but are thought to have moved to North Dakota about 900 AD .
The Hidatsa were more nomadic than the Mandan but they left central Minnesota and joined the Mandan about 1600 .

Have I left any out ?

Of the tribes that commonly used the MN Pipestone for Prayerful purposes  , which ones  don't have a substantial number of Elders and traditionalists who find it offensive to sell this stone or sell important cultural items such as Sacred Pipes to strangers ?   

When people say "some tribes don't have a problem with marketing these items" , do they really mean some individuals don't mind marketing these items , and people from tribes that don't believe the stone is Sacred, don't raise any objections ?

This stone and these Pipes ARE being marketed as Sacred . Even the "Keepers of the Sacred Tradition of Pipemakers ", who say Pipes aren't Sacred until Blessed , manage to find a way to advertise that they ARE selling something Sacred , just through the name of their group .

If one tribe doesn't believe the stone is Sacred , or that Pipes are Sacred, do people from that tribe have a right to market the Sacred traditions of another tribe?

I see the National Park Service says this quarry was used by many tribes and so the area did not belong to any tribe in particular . This idea that the quarry belonged to all tribes very conveniantly places it within the traditional jurisdiction of no tribe or tribal tradition .  Which sets it up so the NPS gets to manage the quarries because supposedly there is so much intertribal disagreement , and the quarry doesn't belong to any particular group . 

This looks like one more example of a repeating pattern of colonization . Non native people expect to have access to the cultural resources which belong to Native communities and future generations , but these non native people don't want to have to respect the authority of the leaders within these cultures who have the knowledge to  protect and maintain these cultures . So on one hand they play down the authority of these traditional leaders  , and on the other hand they find Native people who will serve non native desires, and set them up as authorities .

In the cached link in reply 15 , it sounds like people tried to make a plan so the economy of the area could be gradually restructured . They didn't want to put people out of work . But for some reason it sounds like this was resisited . As the people making these Pipes claim they barely manage to cover their living expenses, I have to wonder why .

Every tribe has a few people who think commercializing the culture is OK , but I don't see how anyones culture can survive if the people who want to make money are the ones who decide what should be commercialized and what shouldn't be . It needs to be the Elders and traditional people who don't have finacle intrests to protect, who define the basic policies on how to best to maintain the health of the culture . Not the people making money from this . Not the NPS .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:53:42 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 04:28:51 am »
Earthw7
All I know is the pipestone is sacred to us. I can not talk for other tribes. The pipestone is the blood of our people. We are taught not to abuse the stone. We don't use it is a bad way. We don't make earrings ect... out of it.I can't talk for people who do these things. We had heard that people believe that it is ok to use the pipestone because it has not been blessed but we prefer not to use it other than prayer.

The thing I notice is , these vague "traditions of other tribes" get used to justify ignoring the authority of tribal Elders who clearly say these traditions should not be commercialized .

So I am wondering .... Who exactly are these "other tribes" and what are their traditions ?
It is frequently pointed out the quarry was considered a neutral area , and no one was prevented from accessing it. However , tribes clearly did have traditional territories. In the 1600's the Dakota agreed to allow the Ojibway to hunt on the Eastern fringes of their territory in exchange for trade with the French . I would guess whatever tribes controlled the territory surrounding the quarry were primarily responsible for protecting this as a Sacred place and maintaining this as a neutral territory . In other words , other tribes were coming as guests , and i doubt any of these guest tribes who used this stone has a right to exploit it in a way one of the original host tribes feels is wrong . 

I don't know much , but from what I can learn the tribes that may have occupied this area in the past 500 years aren't that many .

The Dakota are known to have lived in the Mille Lacs Lake area of Central Minnesota in the 1600's and this was said to be the Eastern Fringes of their territory .
 According to their own tribal webpage the Mandan lived in Southwestern Minnesota , but are thought to have moved to North Dakota about 900 AD .
The Hidatsa were more nomadic than the Mandan but they left central Minnesota and joined the Mandan about 1600 .

Have I left any out ?

Of the tribes that commonly used the MN Pipestone for Prayerful purposes  , which ones  don't have a substantial number of Elders and traditionalists who find it offensive to sell this stone or sell important cultural items such as Sacred Pipes to strangers ?   

When people say "some tribes don't have a problem with marketing these items" , do they really mean some individuals don't mind marketing these items , and people from tribes that don't believe the stone is Sacred, don't raise any objections ?

This stone and these Pipes ARE being marketed as Sacred . Even the "Keepers of the Sacred Tradition of Pipemakers ", who say Pipes aren't Sacred until Blessed , manage to find a way to advertise that they ARE selling something Sacred , just through the name of their group .

If one tribe doesn't believe the stone is Sacred , or that Pipes are Sacred, do people from that tribe have a right to market the Sacred traditions of another tribe?

I see the National Park Service says this quarry was used by many tribes and so the area did not belong to any tribe in particular . This idea that the quarry belonged to all tribes very conveniantly places it within the traditional jurisdiction of no tribe or tribal tradition .  Which sets it up so the NPS gets to manage the quarries because supposedly there is so much intertribal disagreement , and the quarry doesn't belong to any particular group . 

This looks like one more example of a repeating pattern of colonization . Non native people expect to have access to the cultural resources which belong to Native communities and future generations , but these non native people don't want to have to respect the authority of the leaders within these cultures who have the knowledge to  protect and maintain these cultures . So on one hand they play down the authority of these traditional leaders  , and on the other hand they find Native people who will serve non native desires, and set them up as authorities .

In the cached link in reply 15 , it sounds like people tried to make a plan so the economy of the area could be gradually restructured . They didn't want to put people out of work . But for some reason it sounds like this was resisited . As the people making these Pipes claim they barely manage to cover their living expenses, I have to wonder why .

Every tribe has a few people who think commercializing the culture is OK , but I don't see how anyones culture can survive if the people who want to make money are the ones who decide what should be commercialized and what shouldn't be . It needs to be the Elders and traditional people who don't have finacle intrests to protect, who define the basic policies on how to best to maintain the health of the culture . Not the people making money from this . Not the NPS .

Have I left any out ?

While let see???
The Chippewa were in the areas of Minesota/Michigan/Wisconsin/and Canada around 1400s. This is a very large Nation.

The Cheyenne lived in the areas of North Dakota.South Dakota and Minneosta. I have winter counts back to 1500s of the Cheyenne being in this area.

In according to winter counts we have events and battles that happened in Minneota around 1400s with the Dakotas. The Lakota (oglala) had villages located in southern mineesota in 1700s. The dakota live primily east of the Missouri River to Michigan. The Lakota moved into what is now Nebraska and traveled on to the Devils Tower area around 1570s.  In a French map they are shown in Devil Tower around 1650.

The Otto live from Iowa to Kansas close with the Iowa. The Sac and Fox which weretwo tribes the combined togther around 1800s.

The Omaha were in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin and Michigan.
The Winnebago/HoCunk were all over the Michigan/Minnesota/dakota.

The Mandan lived along the rivers both Missorui and Missippippi rivers as far down as Missouri.

The Hidatsa came from the gulf of mexico in 1450 to the Dakotas, The two brother named Red Scout and No Intestine had a dream at Devil Lake, one brother was told to move west. No Intestines created the Mountain Crow and Red Scout stayed in the Dakota and created the Hidatsa nation.

Now back to the reason of the post we have at least 42 tribes that used the quarry it was place of peace. each tribal culture is different so as Native people we can not say what is right for another Nation. It is vague because it is our belief that we do not say what is right for another nation. To me pipe stone is sacred and should not be used for sell. The objiway have a different culture and I don't know it.

Many tribe have been assimilated more than others and don't hold the pipe sacred.
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 04:49:51 pm »
The pipe was not used for prayer by many tribe in the east, the plains tribe used the pipe for prayer and i think people tend to mixed these up. Cherokee are a prime example they had pipes for smoking tobacco but they did not use it for prayer.
The pipe stone has been abused because of the forced christianity in america.
In Spirit

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 09:37:43 pm »
Sorry , I guess i didn't say that very clearly . Sounds like my main point got lost in too many words and too much detail , plus the fact I barely know what I am talking about ...

Earthw7
Many tribe have been assimilated more than others and don't hold the pipe sacred

If the tribe a person comes from believes many types of pipes aren't Sacred , and the  MN Pipestone is just another stone to carve ,  then it looks like someone from one of these tribes would be exploiting another peoples beliefs by saying these things are Sacred and Ceremonial , as a way to market their "product".

Earthw7
each tribal culture is different so as Native people we can not say what is right for another Nation. It is vague because it is our belief that we do not say what is right for another nation.

Of course it's important to be respectful of other peoples tribal traditions , but if someone is claiming what they are doing is their Nations tradition , and they are just making that up as an excuse to be able to sell something ,then it's just an excuse , not a real tribal tradition . Before I accept that this is a tribal tradition , i would like to know what tribe and what tradition , and how many people in that tribe would be offended or have concerns , about someone selling an important part of the culture , outside of the proper cultural context. 

For example , below are some of the activities of what seem to be the two main organizations of Pipe sellers in the Pipestone area .

What tribes traditions are these Pipe sellers practicing?

( This Keepers organization is the aforementioned "Keepers of the Sacred tradition of Pipe makers" )

http://www.heyokamagazine.com/HEYOKA.8.JimTree.Australia.htm

"Bud Johnston, Director of the Keepers organization, and Jim Tree started making preparations for the trip that would take place in February."

"Jim Tree, a spiritual advisor for the "Keepers" and author of the book, "The Way of the Sacred Pipe."

http://wayofthepipe.com/Way-Of-The-Pipe-TOC.htm
CHAPTER 6-HOW TO USE THE PIPE
General Protocols concerning Ceremony and Elders
Tobacco or Prayer Ties
Awakening a Pipe
Filling and Passing the Pipe
Cleaning the Pipe

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=265.0
June 15, 2005, 01:49:48 pm Jim tree ( Yes it is the same Jim Tree as who wrote the book telling how to do ceremonies )
"I am Cherokee on both sides of my family...as well as some irish but I can't prove it."

"I have some limited knowledge of traditional ways but seem to have a largly disproportionate exposer to frauds... I must attracted them like beas to honey...or flys to ...well, you know."

So what tribes traditional ways would this be ?

And then there is Chuck Derby who is one of the main people who opposed the resolutions of the National Congress of American Indians to protect the culture through stopping the sale of MN Pipestone and the Pipes carved from it .The details of that are in the cached link in reply 15 , and it gives quite a different perspective than Chuck's website .

http://web.archive.org/web/20040630200546/littlefeathercenter.50megs.com/new.html

Chuck claims he opposed this resolution because he wanted the quarry to remain open to ALL Native Americans , but I see him and his wife Gloria appear to do a fair amount of marketing in Europe .

http://dragonflydezignz.50megs.com/orania/indexorania.html
"This is a short workshop Gloria is presenting to bring information to people who wish to become a "Pipe Carrier". I prefer the words "Pipe Holder" and that is what I will be using throughout this workshop. I will give an insight into what the Canunpa (Pipe) is all about. It may help you understand the relationship you will have with the Pipe. The Pipe is not a plaything and holding one cannot be taken lightly."
"Power of the Sacred Pipe This workshop is FREE to attend"

http://www.geocities.com/orania_productions/workshop1gh.html
"This workshop is usually done on-line with people wanting to learn from various parts of the world, so far students have come from Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Holland, France, Austria, South Africa, England, Scotland and many states in America. Gloria does not teach the Pipe ceremony, just the importance of the Pipe."
Workshop presented by Gloria and Chuck Derby at this event.

"This program will NOT show you how to pray or how to perform ceremonies, it is NOT a so-called 'Shamans' course  either. Chuck and Gloria do NOT advocate that the participants copy these ways. However they both believe that everyone has to be true to their own calling and spiritual path."

Despite the disclaimer , I would guess this workshop is likely to attract customers .

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:zhnYnv6aFM0J:www.geocities.com/orania_productions/intro
21.html+%22Chuck+Derby%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=28&gl=ca

"Orania Productions Present"
A Teaching/Healing Weekend
September 30th, October 1st, 2006
NATIVE AMERICAN & DRUID CEREMONY FOR THE AUTUMN EQUINOX
with Wight Druids & Chuck Derby assisted by Gloria Hazell-Derby and Jan Harper

At this special time of year, you are invited to join the Wight Druids and Dakota elder Chuck Derby (Running Elk) in a powerful ceremony dedicated to the joining of the Cultures.The ceremony will begin at 10:00 am, Saturday September 30th, in the grounds of Landguard Manor, Shanklin. A Druid Ceremony will be interwoven with a Dakota Pipe Ceremony to unite our two cultures in a very special and unique way.
(The ceremonies are of course free, anyone is welcome to come to this part of the weekend.)"

However tickets for the entire weekend cost 95 lbs

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:2o-K-jF8t1gJ:www.earthtrinity.5u.com/testimonials.
html+%22Chuck+Derby%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=126&gl=ca

"Hello my Name is Jean H, and I would like to tell you about a weekend workshop I attended which Orania organised."

"At last I would meet my good friend Chuck Derby, a Native American. It was a long time since we met and I was really looking  forward to that! It also was in this weekend that Chuck would awakening the Holy Pipes I’ve made so I could use them in the  future for every days praying and ceremonies."

"In this weekend there would be given several workshops and ceremonies which I intended to follow and so I met Jan Harper, also a Holy Pipe Carrier who would give the workshops about Tree and Crystal Essences."

Jan was the assistant in the Druid Ceremony

They are also active in Holland
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:0_K2kriK3RYJ:www.white-earth.nl/evenementenDetail.
php%3FID%3D27%26sectie%3D2+%22Chuck+Derby%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=87&gl=ca

http://www.rainbowshaman.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=162

What Nation's cultural traditions are these?

I have been talking a bit behind the scenes with Earthw7 , and she gave me permission to repeat what she said about this. I will only quote a part of this and if she wants to say more I'll let her do this herself ...

Earthw7
This is what i follow: The pipe is the blood of our people and must be honor as such. We should never sell the pipestone, it is a gift we give or trade among our people. There are rules that go with holding pipe and talking about it in the open is forbidden and doing workshop/advertising/presenation is forbidden. Given presentation to people in Europe forbidden. The people who make pipes to be sold have been condemn by the traditional people. It is like one of those great shame we suffer.

This is the same as what I have always heard . So I wonder which cultural traditions these folks are claiming to be following ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:16:41 am by Moma_porcupine »

frederica

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:02 am »
Probably none

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 08:14:15 pm »

I think this is a key point.  Thank you for putting it so well.

Offline MatoSiWin

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 05:28:29 pm »
I'm new here (hence the newbie title under my name :) but I was taken into the care of someone from the Yanton rez when I was younger, and he was absolutely adamant about not selling pipes or anything made of pipestone to ANYONE... even if it were other Indians, but especially non-indians.  Women (white women) would frequently ask him to make jewelry out of it, and I seem to remember him saying it was forbidden, which implied to me that someone in a position of authority had made that decision (or he just said that so they would stop asking), but I don't recall exactly.  I will write to him and ask about it.  The way he explained it to me, was that no one just went out and "bought" a pipe... it was given to them when they were ready to carry it, and it was never used recreationally.

Does anyone know what the process would be to have e-bay stop the sales of pipestone?  I realize that there are many places that sell it, and individuals can sell it on-line on their own, but it would be a start.  Does the request need to come in the form of a petition, or a letter from someone in a particular position within the Keepers of the Pipestone Quarry?  I saw this too when I was looking on e-bay, and it immediately gave me a sick feeling.  I don't understand why there is not firm legislation around this, as there is for protected feathers and possession of certain natural substances used in religious ceremonies by particular tribes.

frederica

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:06:13 pm »
here is another thread on the pipestone. http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=332.0

Offline MatoSiWin

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 10:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the link... I'm learning more every minute.