Author Topic: Chat  (Read 8016 times)

Offline KrazyKraut

• Psiram
Chat
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:40:57 pm »
We now have a chat integrated into the forum. Just click on chat in the Menu, next to "My Messages".. You have to confirm that you dont want to block it, so press 'No'. If you know how to use IRC, you can use chatzilla or the like. The URL is irc://mrpotato.nl.eu.serenity-irc.net/NAFPS (you cannot click this link, SMF breaks it)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »
I clicked it, and got nothing.

Security Questions: When the chat is going, can you see everyone who is watching? Will only registered members be able to see it? When people sign in, will anything that was posted before they signed in be visible?

Offline KrazyKraut

• Psiram
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »
I clicked it, and got nothing.

Security Questions: When the chat is going, can you see everyone who is watching? Will only registered members be able to see it? When people sign in, will anything that was posted before they signed in be visible?

What browser do you use? Its a Java applet and requires Java to be enabled.
When you are in the chat, you can indeed see everybody who lurkes. This is valid for both the applett and Chatzilla, which I prefer.
The chat applett is only avalable for registered users, but its an irc-chat, so anybody who knows how to operate that can come in.
If you do not like that, it's possible to convert it to an invite-only channel, but that somehow defeats the purpose to be open to all
users.
And no, when you enter the channel, you only see what comes then. It is easy check the IP of any newcomers, but they also can see
your IP.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:25:41 am by Kathryn »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:42 pm »
Thanks for the info!

Offline matt e

• my site
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
i have a chat script that can be installed on the server with admin options to allow only registered members access the chat. (you have to register with the chatroom) which admins could check and allow only approved members to join.
feel free to share any post I make as long as you give me credit. I want everyone to know who to send the hate mail to.