Author Topic: Christina Pratt  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Manicman

Christina Pratt
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:56:44 pm »
Pretty surprised no one has done this woman yet:
http://www.lastmaskcenter.org/
Obvious New Age stuff.
Thoughts?

Epiphany

Re: Christina Pratt
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:52 am »
There is some mention of her here on the Phillip Scott thread: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1282.msg30910#msg30910

Her business is called "Last Mask Center for Shamanic Healing" but my mind keeps translating that into "Last Gasp".

Horrible stuff, unfortunately she probably finds many followers in Portland, OR.

Offline ShadowDancer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 04:42:59 am »
She has a Meetup Group with 266 members

http://www.meetup.com/last-mask-center-shamanic-journey/

The descriptions of the meetups are very nuage. As an example, in the description of the summer solstice ritual:

Journey Questions:

Journey into the future to ask your descendants what you failed to do in this life that they needed you to have done. (Only you can do it because it is part of your unique genius). Embody that energy in a stone or other power object.
    Journey to your helping spirits to ask, "What must I release to actually do this?" Where "this" is whatever your descendants need you to do. Start releasing and add what you must release to your release power object for the fire.
    Ask, "What must I release for my heart to fully blossom in my life?" (This question can work for anyone and it connects back to the seeds we planted in the spring.) Start releasing and add this to your release power object for the fire.
    Ask, "What must I release for my soul to fully blossom in my life?" (This question can work for anyone and it connects back to the seeds we planted in the spring.) Start releasing and add this to your release power object for the fire.
    Finally, if you don't already know this answer, ask, "What help must I call in to live from my heart and soul and to do what I must do for the descendants?" Start calling in this help and create a little prayer, poem, or love song sort of thing to do so.

Her LinkedIn profile is closed unless you are a connection

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christina-l-pratt/36/b55/3a9

Her bio for a broadcast of her radio show.  Bolding mine.

Christina Pratt is an authentic, non-traditional contemporary shaman. In practice since 1990, she specializes in mending the soul and transforming the parts of life that feel impossible. A teacher of exceptional clarity, humor, and inspiration, Pratt brings the power of shamanism into the practical grasp of anyone willing to take responsibility for improving the quality of their life. Her well-received book, An Encyclopedia of Shamanism (Rosen), is an 800-page, two-volume set with over 750 in-depth entries that clearly discuss the basic concepts of shamanism, methods, and traditions of over 50 different shamanic peoples. Pratt is the founder of the Last Mask Center for Shamanic Healing in Portland, OR, and New York, NY, creator of the original Foundations of Shamanism and Shamanic Healing course at the University of Minnesota, and a frequent and honored speaker for the American Holistic Medical Association.

A recent episode of the radio broadcast with the topic of money:

Mar. 29, 2013 - PORTLAND, Ore. -- Streaming live on the Co-Creator Radio Network on Tuesday, April 2, at 11 a.m. Pacific time/2 p.m. Eastern time, on her show "Why Shamanism Now? A Practical Path to Authenticity,” shaman and founder of the Last Mask Center for Shamanic Healing Christina Pratt answers the question: What is the relationship between our internal richness and monetary wealth?  According to Pratt, money gives us a place to project all of our unresolved issues about our own rank, privilege, and power. And money is a power object imbued with power by its user to make change in the world. But how does spirit view money? “Money is not the root of all evil,” explains Pratt. “People are.”

In this episode of “Why Shamanism Now?” titled “Money, Power, and Shamanism”, Pratt tells listeners that money is a cultural agreement that we can use to help or to harm each other. Seen in this way, money is another expression of our energy in the world. Shamanic wisdom from around the globe tells us that money, like all energy, must move to be well. And in that movement we must stay out of the stagnation of greed and scarcity or the agitation of spending more than we have for reasons that do not matter. Pratt notes that to remain in right relationship with money, we must choose to be accountable for the flow of energy in the interchange of love, knowledge, and work in the physical and nonphysical world with gratitude, responsibility, and reciprocity.  In this way, we cultivate the internal richness needed to sustain the true power of action in our own lives.

In an interview in Edge Magazine.  Bolding mine.

http://www.edgemagazine.net/2006/05/part-2-becoming-a-modern-shaman-an-interview-with-shaman-christina-pratt/

Part 2: Becoming a modern Shaman – An interview with Shaman Christina Pratt
By Tim Miejan

I do real shamanic healing rituals. I don’t do the same ritual over and over, or rituals from other cultures or from the past. I dance, and I get others to dance with abandon from their souls, even if they’re paralyzed by self-criticism, haven’t moved their hips in public in their entire lives, or are sitting in a wheelchair. They will all leave understanding how, why, and when to use what they learn. – Christina Pratt

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »
Most of what she does is incredibly generic, feel good stuff. For claiming to be non traditional, why does she then lists several cultures she supposedly had unnamed teachers from?

I emailed her publisher asking why they chose her to write that ency of shamanism.

LinkedIn profiles used to be fairly widely used by employers but not for about 5-7 years. My old one is still there so I can see hers.

------
Christina L Pratt's Overview
Current shamanic healer at  Whole Being Health
Internet podcast teacher and host at  Last Mask Center
shaman, author, teacher at  Last Mask Center for Shamanic Healing
Education Smith College
Recommendations 1 person has recommended Christina L
Connections 148 connections

Christina L Pratt's Experience

shamanic healer
Whole Being Health 
2010 – Present (3 years) Portland, Oregon
Internet podcast teacher and host
Last Mask Center 
2009 – Present (4 years) Cyberspace
Weekly discussions of the practical application of shamanism in contemporary times, shamanic healers and teachers as guests, exploration of energy medicine and basic practices that can change the quality of your life.
shaman, author, teacher
Last Mask Center for Shamanic Healing 
1990 – Present (23 years) Portland, Oregon
Focus in all work is creating a life of meaning and purpose, whether teaching or healing, through alignment with soul's purpose, the cornerstone of our individual well-being.
 Soul retrieval work to address trauma, PTSD, abuse patterns, addiction, other chronic patterns or a general dissatisfaction with life; Ancestral Healing to clear patterns of illness and dis-ease in the family lines; Soul Integration and Energy Body Repair.
 Crafting of shamanic ritual and ceremony to healing, transformation, and the passages in life: birth, adulthood/initiation, death.

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »
But I really don’t have human teachers in what I teach. That’s what makes it authentic non-traditional shamanism. That’s how I would bill myself now: authentic in that this is really coming from a direct relationship with Spirit, totally through shamanic techniques, but there’s no cultural tradition behind it.

http://www.edgemagazine.net/2006/05/part-2-becoming-a-modern-shaman-an-interview-with-shaman-christina-pratt/

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:26 pm »
Podcast site: http://whyshamanismnow.com/

10 Of The Most Influential People In Shamanism Today (U.S. Edition) 2011 http://www.shamanswell.org/shaman/famous-shamans-influential-writers-healers-practitioners includes Christina Pratt

Her shamanic work is a synthesis of studies with Ecuadorian, Tibetan, Tamang, and African shamans, the Foundation for Shamanic Studies, the Center for Intuitive Energy Processing, and personal shamanic experience.

Offline Manicman

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:33:07 am »
I get the sense some of these people, including Christina Pratt aren't malicious, but actually do believe themselves to be shamans because they don't understand what an actual shaman or medicine person is. I mean it is still wrong of them to do it, but I doubt they appreciate the difference between someone who works with the spirits as a hobby and someone who has this as a sort of destiny.