Author Topic: Wendy Whiteman aka 'Silver Wolf Walks Alone', Wolfwalker (Taos, NM)  (Read 10700 times)

Offline catbus

Her page is http://www.wolfwalkercollection.com/
This figure is certainly a fraud, she sells ceremony, energy healing, etc, with a whole 'Indian' guise to the act.
Healing Taos Retreats
'One-to-one' intensive retreats* ($1900), personal consultations ($90), and 'Sacred Visioning Solo Quest' ($400).
One to One requires that you spend 8-10 hours a day (some nights) working with Silver Wolf

Taos Desert Medicine Walk w/ Shamanic Teachings
1/2 Day $150.00 – 1 person, $200.00 – 2 people, $250.00 – 3 to 5 people. Please call for a group rate.

'[During Medicine Walks] you will be shown how to walk with heightened senses and experience nature with the eyes and ears of the shaman. We will share in a small ceremony to ask for permission to collect medicine and thanks for what we take away. 

At her website, she also sells bach flower essences, etc, and a line of essential oils and whatnot called 'Medicine Woman'.

An initial impression is that perhaps her name, Silver Wolf Walks Alone, is twinkie for 'unmarried elderly woman'.
And sure enough, her story is the stereotypical new age 'mid-life crisis' kinda story: was living in California with a family, job, 'had it all', and then had a 'mid-life crisis', left it all and now she lives in a Pueblo house, changed her name to 'Silver Wolf Walks Alone', and 'adopted Native ways', or at least her idea of Native ways, largely modeled on a sage-based spirituality and selling of ceremony, herbs, 'teachings' etc, in Taos, NM. I have no idea what kind of ceremonies she is teaching, but it certainly warrants investigation.

I'm not sure which tribe she is mimicking, or maybe she is just playing 'generic Indian' as her book proclaims 'Aho Mitakuye Oyasin!' and 'Aho Mitakuye Oyasin! Da'nah!' in several places, and then she cites stuff about the Pueblos, but she has a teepee at her retreat center. So I'm not quite sure what she is up to, or if she directly makes claim to any tribe. But she is undeniably a typical and offensive example of a new age fraud.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:06:34 pm by catbus »

Epiphany

Re: Wendy Whiteman aka 'Silver Wolf Walks Alone', Wolfwalker (Taos, NM)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:36:17 am »
I have studied Buddhism and found Christ. I have studied Native philosophy and found Buddha. I have studied Mother Nature and found self.
(my bolding)

http://www.wolfwalkercollection.com/articles/aho-mitakuye-oyasin

In my 20 years of participating/leading lodges...

Wendy Whiteman is an author, herbalist, and ceremonial facilitator living in Taos, NM. She has participated in many spiritual ceremonies of different cultures and has been a student of esoteric studies for many years.

http://www.wolfwalkercollection.com/articles/native-american-sweat-lodge

Intensives are just that, intense. This program is not designed as a vacation or a chance to get away.

One to One requires that you spend 8-10 hours a day (some nights) working with Silver Wolf.

4 Day One-to One: $1900.00
(does not include lodging)

http://www.wolfwalkercollection.com/healing-taos-retreats#personal

Haven't found yet any mention by her of teachers, of anyone she's been trained by, or any group she is part of. Everything looks to be made up and from books. That 4 Day One to One sounds especially horrible and unsafe.

Epiphany

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:48:36 am »
http://web.prc.newmexico.gov/Corplookup/%28S%280g0oamnmenkiz0euovawkb5y%29%29/CorpsSearch.aspx

THE WOLF WALKER COLLECTION, LTD.
New Mexico Domestic Profit

Agent: Wendy E. Whiteman 
Director: Gretchen S Perkins

Offline catbus

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 05:09:36 am »
It is the typical new age mishmash. Seems like just another pseudo-mystic white lady, who is wannabe-ndn, selling the $acred, and who probably actually believes she knows way more than she really does. The website mentions 'medicine wheel teachings', a 'purification lodge', etc, for the one-to-one intensive. Apparently the 'Solo visioning quest' involves a big medicine wheel made of rocks. This is just another colonial-consumerist "play indian and feel all spiritual" type of operation to make money off of ndn culture.
Her website also mentioned 'plant spirit shamanism', which makes me wonder if she learned some of her shamanic bs from Eliot Cowan, who probably deserves his own research thread here. Cowan is a white man who was really initiated as a 'shaman' by a Huichol traditional, but then he turned around and started using it to write new-agey books that mix it with other modalities (such as tcm), and he also sells retreats and lessons in 'shamanic healing'. I wonder if Whiteman is associated with him because his particular teachings are called 'plant spirit shamanism'.

I will leave it to the moderators to decide, but I think this thread will fit better in the frauds section. I am also curious who, if anyone at all, taught this lady to do sweat ceremonies and told her it was okay to start selling pseudo-ceremonial $acred retreats.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:29 pm »
Eliot Cowan, who probably deserves his own research thread here. Cowan is a white man who was really initiated as a 'shaman' by a Huichol traditional, but then he turned around and started using it to write new-agey books that mix it with other modalities (such as tcm), and he also sells retreats and lessons in 'shamanic healing'. I wonder if Whiteman is associated with him because his particular teachings are called 'plant spirit shamanism'.

My bolding. Whether there is a connection I cannot tell. What I want to add here is that since 2013 there is this thread:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4262.0  [Eliot Cowan & The Blue Deer Center in upstate New York]

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:46:46 am »
im a denver boy but i am taos pueblo (as well as southern ute and chicano)

i go home for feast and powwow and dont make it there as often as i did when i had my mom and grandparents

but truthfully it isnt than uncommon to see the white person here and there shopping and observing our more social observances (we lock wypipo out during important ceremony).......and it isnt uncommon for wypipo to live in adobe or to watch dances and not try to get to know natives but go home and write a book or a stupid article

i never heard of anyone having such a grandiose "ndn name" in taos

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 11:56:23 am »
The bio for one of her pamphlets admits she made the name up herself.
https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Silver-Walks-Alone-Whiteman/dp/0964022907

She admits she mangles together Buddhism, Hinduism, alchemy, faux Native stuff, and whatever makes her feel good. This should have been in Frauds long ago. This thread is almost the top link in all searches on her, including her laughable fraud name.