Author Topic: Idle No More  (Read 24093 times)

Offline Odelle

Re: Idle No More
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 08:45:40 am »
:>

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »
Support from Chief Arvol Looking Horse, 12/30/2012. Shared with permission of author:

This is About Mother Earth!

As Keeper of our Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, I would like to send out support for the efforts of Chief Theresa Spence of the Attawapiskat First Nation, for giving of herself through fasting with prayers for the protection of Mother Earth.

Throughout history, there have been many Voices from different Nations trying to alert us of the prophecies that are now upon us. We are in a time of Great Urgency, especially since the animals have been showing their sacred color white to tell us we need to change the Path we are on.

The war in the Middle East over money, oil and power, in the name of Spirituality, has been affecting us for far too long. A Healing now needs to happen from that lesson. Those lessons now exist in those territories in the lack of animal and plant life, as well as the many orphans and childless parents.

Political decision makers throughout history have made decisions that have affected many People, lands and animal/plant life, the recent decision made to subject Mother Earth and take away any protection she had left, is a decision that affects all humanity.

This effort has to be understood the same light of our Peace work, which is “All Nations, All Faiths, One Prayer”. This effort to protect Mother Earth is all Humanity’s responsibility, not just Aboriginal People. Every human being has had Ancestors in their lineage that understood their umbilical cord to the Earth, understanding the need to always protect and thank her. Therefore, all Humanity has to re-connect to their own Indigenous Roots of their lineage - to heal their connection and responsibility with Mother Earth and become a united voice.

In a Sacred Hoop Life, where there is no ending and no beginning!

Chief Arvol Looking Horse
19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:55:53 am by Defend the Sacred »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
A heads-up for folks in areas that want to support Idle No More, but that may not have large NDN populations. We have seen some non-Natives, and some pretendians, trying to colonize Idle No More.

Please forgive my redundancy if you've seen me post this stuff elsewhere, but...

One thing that some of the non-Natives have been misinterpreting (not with this statement in particular, but with the concept of "Indigenous" in general). Arvol wrote:

"Every human being has had Ancestors in their lineage that understood their umbilical cord to the Earth, understanding the need to always protect and thank her. Therefore, all Humanity has to re-connect to their own Indigenous Roots of their lineage - to heal their connection and responsibility with Mother Earth and become a united voice."

I have always found this to be a beautiful and inspiring statement, ever since Paula first spoke it to me. But lately we have come across some appropriators and exploiters misinterpreting the idea of Indigenous roots, thinking that "roots" means that they are also Indigenous people (NDNs), or that they can choose to *become* Indigenous (through stealing ceremonies from NDNs). Some of these appropriators and ceremony-sellers have come in through the "Occupy"/"Decolonize movement. So, just making a note here for anyone else who gets odd reactions from non-Natives when they share this, or if they see shameons posting it in places and misrepresenting what Arvol is saying.

Going back to our Indigenous roots means taking the challenge of learning the languages, ways and ceremonies of our own ancestors, not stealing ceremonies or identities or terminology from Native people.

Here's a post from the Idle No More founders on advice for non-Native allies:  http://idlenomore.tumblr.com/post/38705071010/im-non-indigenous-how-can-i-participate-in-idle-no

If you want to do a local action, or join a local group, find out what Native people in the area are doing - in most cases they have already organized groups. For the most part, so far things are overwhelmingly Indigenous at the demos. But we actually *are* seeing a bit of a problem with non-Natives wanting to form and lead Idle No More groups (in some cases, they are misrepresenting themselves as Native and forming a group where there is already a Native one). While I'm seeing that respectful support is very appreciated, we need to make sure this is truly solidarity and not appropriation. For instance, if people are doing a solidarity action that does not involve Native spiritual leaders, for them to pray and sing in the ways of *their own* culture, not imitate the ways of NDN people or try to use their sacred songs or ceremonies (including smudging).  Non-natives, if you go to an action and find that pretendians are appropriating, stand up to them and say something. NDNs in my area have already had to do some creative re-scheduling, and making networking for events private, in order to avoid being colonized.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:55:36 am by Defend the Sacred »

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10:49 am »
This is being posted all over Facebook:

Last night after an Idle No More flash roundy at a Walmart in Cloquet, Minnesota, we had a beautiful talking circle at the Fond du Lac reservation tribal center. An elder lady named Mary Moose explained to us that she hoped we understood her English, because she grew up speaking Ojibwe and Cree. She told us she had a dream in which she was visited by an elder who has walked on, the late Tom Stillday from Obaashiing in Red Lake Nation. She told us how in her dream Tom told her we need to help people in Canada, and he suggested everyone, all anishinaabe, all indigenous people put out a spirit plate on the same day at the same time to awaken the spirits, to ask for their help. Mary relayed that we should choose a date and time, and do it every year on that same day.

So the people in the talking circle decided to do this at noon on New Year’s Day...
The instruction was that you may offer your feast food to any of the four elements: you can place the spirit plate in a water body, in a fire, in the air by hanging it in a tree, or on the earth. Mary and other elders will be speaking for the food. She asks everyone to do this, wherever you are. A facebook event has been created for this coming New Year’s Day, the event is called “ Idle No More! Anishinaabe Calling Around The World! ”

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 02:49:18 am »
I'm not native, and I don't know/understand about offering food to spirits, or anything else..

At noon on New Year's Day I will pause, as I do in my way, in support, in giving.

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 04:16:37 am »
Pono, have you checked if this story is true and, if so, did Mary Moose give her permission for this to be posted publicly?

Epiphany

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 05:21:17 am »
I haven't been able to find a Facebook event listing yet for "Idle No More! Anishinaabe Calling Around The World! ”

The basic story is indeed posted all over, one version out on web has an added bit: "From Susan Prentice Hallett (A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE!): http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?2118-Paging-Gazhekwe&p=359303#post359303

There is a Susan Prentice Hallett on Facebook from Minnesota, I sent her a message asking if she knows anything about this.

(Also found it here on causes.com in pledge form: http://www.causes.com/causes/614713-help-save-cowichan-traditional-homelands-and-its-people/actions/1720641 )
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:32:29 am by Epiphany »

Epiphany

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 05:37:44 am »
https://m.facebook.com/events/578130678867637?refid=8&_ft_=qid.5827245817558605908%3Amf_story_key.578130678867637

Idle No More! Anishinaabe Calling Around The World!
Public · By Raven Sohm

Mary Moose has asked ALL Anishinaabe to come together and feast at 12pm CST on New Years day. Mary gave the message that she was told in her dream where Tom Stillday said that it is time to wake up the spirits within ourselves and to feast our spirits and those that help us. This will keep Anishinaabe strong through harder times. She asks this to be done no matter where you are!!! She and other elders will be speaking for the food. You may place the feast food in the water, a fire, hanging in a tree, or on the earth. For those in the Cloquet/Duluth area, we are trying to set up a feast to be held at the Cloquet EMP for that time. Skip Sandman will be speaking for the food and the people.

Epiphany

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »
The newspaper article on Olympia Idle No More event includes a very important quote from Erin Genia:

Saturday’s demonstration began with several songs accompanied by drums in the crowd. The first song was performed by a Squaxin Island Tribe family.

“That song belongs to a specific Squaxin family that cannot be used by anyone else,” Genia said. “We were honored they gifted that song for that moment.”

http://www.theolympian.com/2012/12/29/2368095/idle-no-more-supporters-fill-westfield.html

Any of us who want to be allies need to know this and can help educate others: what happens at Idle No More events isn't available for cultural pillaging.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 07:31:28 pm »
As Idle no more spread across the world we welcome support from people who will stand with us but
it hurts my heart that hte fakes and fraud are jumping out there to make this there issues
In Spirit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
In some areas, Indigenous organizers are scheduling teach-ins for non-Natives who want to support, but who don't understand how to do so respectfully. In these cases, Indigenous organizers are requiring that the non-Natives attend an educational meeting before they are invited to any public events. And if someone continues to act offensively after that... they don't get invited :)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »
to allows us to sing, dance and pray helps us heal as a people
we welcome supporters who will stand with us but not interfer
In Spirit

Cheesy Little Life

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:36 pm »

Cheesy Little Life

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:36 pm »
Tansi;

It is good that the government has agreed to meet with representatives from the Assembly of First Nations (AFN), but it remains to be seen, if this meeting will result in positve movement forward on the issues raised by Idle No More.  Changes to Environmental regulation and changes to the Indian Act, that were in Bill C-45, were made without Consultation or Accommodation with Rights bearing Aboriginal people.

Ekosi
Ric