Author Topic: Southern Cherokee Nation of KY?  (Read 115666 times)

Offline lostcherokee

Re: Southern Cherokee Nation of KY?
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2007, 01:50:37 pm »
here is something of interest on there site

A few points of interest, our Native American Holiday will go before the Kentucky Legislature in January, so next July 12th we may have a lot to celebrate.  Also we received good news today, some of our native family, have been chosen for a free ride at Indiana University, by using their tribal card with the SCN of Ky.  It may be helpful to other college bound SCN members.

http://www.southerncherokeenation.net/june_newsletter.htm

Isnt the above statement a little fraudulant stating they have tribal cards and getting them into a school with it.
Again i as they be moved to frauds
Lost Cherokee

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2007, 03:48:31 pm »
There is a group at IU that might be interested in this situation IF it is true and not just something Manfox claims to try to get people to join.

This does seem to cross the line from "confused and with an exaggerated sense of entitlement" to "fraud."

frederica

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2007, 06:25:23 pm »
They are sure not confused if they call it a "free ride". That's insulting. frederica

weheli

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2007, 02:51:55 am »
This speaks LOUD and clear what this group is all about$$$$$$$. It is things like this that you hear people say " all they want is a free ride, State and Federal money". This is a major insult to me as a Cherokee and all the Cherokee!!!!

Also why are Cherokee's holding inipi ceremonies??? They don't even know thier culture!!! >:(
                                                                                   Weheli

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2007, 12:17:53 am »
Well it would seem some members have wised up and are questioning if they are state rec. or not
But some are die hard and saying cheif would not point them in the wrong direction or lie to them..

This is from there groups

TIME AND TIME AGAIN WE ASK THAT YOU CONTACT US BEFORE SPREADING RUMORS OR UNTRUTHS ,REMEMBER THAT JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO OUR BROTHER JOE CAME UNDER FIRE FOR NO GOOD REASON ,WE AS CHEROKEE PEOPLE ARE BETTER THAN THAT,YOU SOUND MORE LIKE THE WHITES,REMEMBER WE TRUSTED THEM AND SEE WHAT THEY DID TO US,I BELIEVE WE ARE ABOVE ALL THAT.IF WE AREN'T WE DON'T NEED TO CONTINUE.HERE IS A QUOTE FROM GOVERNOR FLETCHERS DOCUMENT:
       ON DEC.26.1893,THE SOUTHERN CHEROKEE WERE WELCOMED TO KY. AND RECOGNIZED AS AN INDIAN TRIBE BY GOV.JOHN Y.BROWN,AGAINIST ALL ODDS THE SOUTHERN CHEROKEE HAVE SURVIVED AS THE SOUTHERN CHEROKEE NATION OF KY.AND HAVE MAINTAINED A NEARLT EXTINCT  CULTURE BY CONTINUING TOBURN THEIR SACRED FIRES IN HENDERSON CO.KY.
        NOW WE HAVE 2 GOVERNORS THAT HAVE RECOGNIZED US AS AN INDIAN TRIBE.BUT AT THIS TIME WE DO NOT HAVE STATE CRITERA,THAT IS WHY I HAVE BEEN APPOINTED TO THE CRITERA COMMISSION,I HAD TALKED TO THE GOVERNOR'S AIDE PERSONALLY AND SHE PERSONALLY ASSURED ME WE WERE RECOGNIZED,THE FORMER COMMISSION HAD BEEN WORKING ON CRITERA FOR OVER 5 YEARS TO NO AVAIL,NO ONE CAN AGREE ON ANY ISSUE,I HOPE TO PUT AN END TO THIS.SO PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS manfox@henderson.net please feel free to contact us.MY PEOPLE WHAT I DO IS FOR YOU.I WORK VERY HARD TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.PLEASE BE PATIENT AND ASK ME DON'T GO OFF  HALF COCKED.MARGARET AND I ARE FIGHTING AND WORKING EVERYDAY FOR YOU AND WE ARE HONORED TO DO SO .WE ARE FAMILY AND WE LOVE EACH ONE OF YOU,YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH WORK THIS IS,WE WILL WORK TIL OUR LAST BREATH FOR THIS NATION,AS CHIEF I AM YOUR SERVANT.WHEN A SOLDIER IS WOUNDED THE GOVERNMENT  PAYS TRIBUTE TO THE SOLDIER BY GIVING HIM A PURPLE HEART,THESE DOCUMENTS THAT THE GOVERNOR S HAS GIVEN US IS OUR PURPLE HEART.AND IN MY EYES TRIBUTE IS RECOGNITION.MAY OUR CREATOR CONTINUE TO BLESS EACH AND ALL.WITH OUR LOVE AND RESPECT,CHIEF AND CHIEF MOTHER
PS. WADO TO ALL OF YOU THAT SUPPORT US EVERYDAY.

Lost Cherokee

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2007, 04:52:23 pm »
Why would SCN which is in Henderson ky .Have a lawyer in Evansville In.
Iknow they are just seperated by the river but you would think they would want a lawyer from ky

frederica

« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2007, 04:58:08 pm »
University at Evansville has a Law School and pre-law. Might be cheaper, I would think that could be rather expensive. No telling really. frederica

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »
They show    Price, Gary K.    and give address that shows up as
Bowers Harrison,LLP
http://www.bowersharrison.com/attys.htm

frederica

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2007, 05:52:20 pm »
He focuses on Intellectual Property Rights, and so on. Interesting. frederica

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »
More interesting is to join there msn groups you have to give them youre roll# from the SCN address and all that
They have there selfs listed on the Manataka web site

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:00:29 pm by lostcherokee »

frederica

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:35 am »
Well, you know Manataka is commerical. I am guessing they are going to attempt to copyright their name, SCN of Ky. Since the only recognition they have is they exist, if they copyright they can sell under that name. Still will not be able to sell as authentic, but the average tourist at a pow-pow won't know the difference. Just guessing, but it's pretty slick. frederica

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2007, 01:00:02 am »
This is true but best i can remember there "lawyer" told them that they was turned down on copyright of name and all that.But you also have to keep in mind the longer there name is out on the web and where ever else it maybe.The more people are going to think that the SCN is legit and state.

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2007, 01:29:31 am »
Interesting location for the lawyer.  I wonder if he is licensed to practice in KY.  It doesn't look like he is from his bio.  Usually you have to be licensed in each state in which you practice, with some exceptions.

I don't think you can copyright a name, but you can trademark it.  Any chance the different Southern "Cherokee" "Nation" groups might be litigating among one another for the trademark to the name?

I'm curious to see what has been altered about that document from Fletcher on their web site.  KY Penal Code, 2nd Degree Forgery statute is kind of interesting: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/516-00/030.PDF

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2007, 02:00:36 am »

http://www.southerncherokeenation.net/november_newsletter_2006.htm
November Newsletter 2006

Our Dearest Brothers and Sisters,

We would like to apologize for this being late.  We have had a lot going on.

I have good news and some bad news.  We'll start with the bad news.  Andrew Light has filed an objection to our trademark.  Our attorney has informed us that it will cost $20,000 plus and at least a year to fight this.  The good part of it is the burden of proof is on Andrew Light.  This means that we will be able to see all of his records.  This way we can prove they have no proof of existence since the Civil War.  Of course, the money is a problem.  But our attorney also said that it would take $25,000 to 50,000 to fight us.

We never wanted to stoop to Andrew Light's level, we have shown we are good Cherokee People, so our battle begins, please pray for our Nation and this man Andrew Light.  If I may borrow some words from a very wise Cherokee woman - No Moccasin Woman, she says often we need to go to war for nation, our Brothers and Sisters and our children, when they are ill, lost, hungry, suffering, challenged and THREATENED.  She is also correct in saying that we go forth with great power and force with the power of our ancestors, we must pray to our ancestors for wisdom and guidance to lead us.

I have heard from a reliable source that Mr. Light is a rogue element, and that he does not represent the Southern Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.  He is causing Oklahoma as much trouble as he is us.  They say he has absolutely no authority or even a group.  If this is true, the destruction of Mr. Light is imminent.

Now for the good news.  I have called BIA in Washington, D.C.  I was informed that our documents are at present on the desk awaiting our file number.  Once we have received our file number we will fall under the protection of the BIA, and they will be able to help us with Andrew Light.  We have his site.  It is:  www.southerncherokeeok.com/news.html - The only council members are Andrew Light and his daughter.  There are many slanderous things about us.

The holidays are approaching, we need to give thanks to Our Creator for all our blessings and for the strength, wisdom, and healing that He has already bestowed on us.  We also pray for the homeless, the hungry, the sick, all of our service personnel and their families, They are over there trying to help other people on foreign ground and our U.S. Government and "Our Leader".  How fortunate we all are even with war and misfortune, our Prayers are also out for the wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, children, family and friends to deal with their losses, we are thankful but feel their grief and loss.

We have had much sickness, illness, loss of loved ones, loss of financial monies but we still have each OTHER MY FAMILY!!!!   

As you know, I have been out of work for 7 months plus with my back injury, now I have 2 battles to fight.  Workers Comp is giving me GRIEF by not wanting to give me the care I need.  How can people be so cruel.  I call them and ask when I'm going to get a check or get relief, they tell me they are frustrated.  "Excuse me", I said "your frustrated, try not having food, gas, medicine, or a pay check, at least your getting a pay check.

Enough of that , we hope all of you have the happiest of holidays and that the Creator continues to bless all of you, our Brothers and Sisters.  Until December Newsletter  With all of our love.  Chief and Margaret.

They are also getting a petition together in texas ,There idea is if texas's will send them the same letter a flecther did it will be easier to get fed. since the there eyes they are already state..

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2007, 03:51:52 pm »
They don't seem to know much about the BIA or the recognition process. Their Office of Federal Acknowledgement is supposed to be impartial. They're pretty unlikely to be doing anything to protect a group that is still going through the recognition process, even if they ever get approved. Recog time is incredibly slow, the longest the process has ever been. Last figure I heard was that it's now up to twenty years or more.