Author Topic: A request from the exploiter-side  (Read 12431 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
A request from the exploiter-side
« on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
Just had to tell you this because it is kind of.....funny.....

I was contacted by a guy in Europe who asked me if I was interested in making "Spirits for sale" part II. He had some Indians for me....ready to help me with the film. I told him I sure was interested but what about the costs? He said it was taken care of, they had enough money. "Would you make the film?" he said.

I thought to myself this was too good to be true (and then I thought: would I survive another film??? Haha!). So we started talking and after two minutes I suddenly understood what he was asking for. He had got some Native exploiters together - he used to "import them" to Europe - and had raised the money (on what? Selling sweats?) and now wanted me to make another film. From their viewpoint, I guess.

Well, needless to say I said no.  Never!! I am not in it for money!

Strange that he would ask ME, since he had seen our film and knew what it stood for. Don´t get it. There are loads of filmmakers around. Or would it be an attempt to seem legitimate? Or if I was offered enough money, would I change sides?! I am trying to understand, wondering if there was some devious plan to all this.....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:46:16 am by Freija »

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: A request from the exploiter-side
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:03:52 am »
A second film done with exploiters would discredit Spirits for Sale completely. How's that for an agenda? I suppose he will get that film done anyway; one of the most in-famous lines I see/hear over here is: 'Not all ndns are against sharing their religion', or 'Oh, you know, some are against it, but it's just a minority'....

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:30:59 am »
Yeah, it would of course discredit Spirits for Sale. Guess he thought that as long as we are given money, we wouldn´t care about the message we send out. (Well, that´s how many exploiters work....)

It amuses me to see that we are obviously rocking the boat. Someone must be worried about his cashflow.
And another question: are "the Indians" he put together really Natives?? LOL

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:15 pm »
Good for you for saying no!

Guess he thought that as long as we are given money, we wouldn´t care about the message we send out. (Well, that´s how many exploiters work....)

Yeah, it says a lot about his values, and those of the people he promotes.

'Not all ndns are against sharing their religion', or 'Oh, you know, some are against it, but it's just a minority'....

Which again shows he doesn't know any traditionals, only frauds and exploiters.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:44:51 pm by Kathryn NicDh? na »