Author Topic: Native American pipes in the British Museum  (Read 12614 times)

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Native American pipes in the British Museum
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/galleries/americas/room_26_north_america.aspx

The museum states they are in posession of ARTIFACTS not copies.

Objects on display in Room 26 range from pipes in the form of animals made by the Hopewell people in 200 BC, to maps outlined on deerskins by the Wea tribe of the eighteenth century. Texiles, clothing, carved posts and pottery are also on display.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:57:19 pm »

The pipes may have been smoked for purification during rituals, and to ensure the good standing of the particular form of Native government, whether clan, lineage, or larger grouping.

A number of pipes in the form of aquatic mammals were found at Mound City. They were to become important in perhaps the most significant archaeological debate of the mid-nineteenth century: were the mounds built by people related to the present-day Native population? If not, who built them?

Most American antiquarians thought that the scale and magnificence of the earthworks indicated that they had been erected by an unrelated people, the 'Moundbuilders', whom the Native Indian replaced. To support their theory, they claimed that the otter pipes represented vegetarian manatees, living 1000 miles away in the seas around tropical Florida.

The 'Moundbuilder Myth' eased nineteenth-century guilt at the rapidly disappearing Indian population. Just as the Indians had replaced the Moundbuilders - perhaps coming from the Old World - so Americans, it was thought, would entirely replace Indians.

From near Paint Creek, Ross County, Ohio, North America
Mississippian Period, AD 1200-1500

This unfinished pipe takes the form of a squatting figure with a rattlesnake around the neck, and forked eye motifs that may represent a falcon. Both these Mississippian features frequently occur on ceremonial objects from the south-east of the United States. Archaeologists refer to this religious phenomenon as the 'Southern Cult'

Large stone pipes of this kind are a feature of the Mississippian period in North America. They were probably carefully preserved in temples on mound tops, and used in ceremonies to ensure both the health of the community and the maintenance of the power of the principal clan, lineage or family.

J.C.H. King, First peoples, first contacts: (London, The British Museum Press, 1999)

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlights_all_relationships.aspx?Title=Native+North+America&ContentType=World Culture&PageId=631

Offline Hair lady

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »
looks like they are authentic artifacts...so the next question is exaclty which tribes so these artifacts come from...

The Hopewell tradition (also incorrectly called the "Hopewell culture"[citation needed]) is the term used to describe common aspects of the Native American culture that flourished along rivers in the northeastern and midwestern United States from 200 BCE to 500 CE. The Hopewell tradition was not a single culture or society, but a widely dispersed set of related populations. They were connected by a common network of trade routes,[1] known as the Hopewell Exchange System. At its greatest extent, the Hopewell exchange system ran from the Southeastern United States into the southeastern Canadian shores of Lake Ontario. Within this area societies participated in a high degree of exchange with the highest amount of activity along waterways. The Hopewell exchange system received materials from all over the United States. Most of the items traded were exotic materials and were received by people living in the major trading and manufacturing areas. These people then converted the materials into products and exported them through local and regional exchange networks. The objects created by the Hopewell exchange system spread far and wide and have been seen in many burials outside the Midwest.[2]   

I found this in Wikipieda..not the best source I know, but when they say Hopewell, I guess they are throwing a bunch of differnt peoples into one pot there a WHOLE lot of different peoples...

@Laurel  well I wans´t gonna do the red white thing...I have no right to do since I am a Heinz 57 sauce with a all white side to me...I was just saying that we shouldn´t assume how other cultures feel about thier dead, and about thier ceremonial items...no one should, especialy not in the name of scientific research...

Offline Laurel

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:13:11 pm »

@Laurel  well I wans´t gonna do the red white thing...I have no right to do since I am a Heinz 57 sauce with a all white side to me...I was just saying that we shouldn´t assume how other cultures feel about thier dead, and about thier ceremonial items...no one should, especialy not in the name of scientific research...

Again, we seem to basically agree....? Sorry if I offended--dunno what "the red/white thing" is.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:51:58 pm »
looks like they are authentic artifacts...so the next question is exaclty which tribes so these artifacts come from...

The Hopewell tradition (also incorrectly called the "Hopewell culture"[citation needed]) is the term used to describe common aspects of the Native American culture that flourished along rivers in the northeastern and midwestern United States from 200 BCE to 500 CE. The Hopewell tradition was not a single culture or society, but a widely dispersed set of related populations. They were connected by a common network of trade routes,[1] known as the Hopewell Exchange System. At its greatest extent, the Hopewell exchange system ran from the Southeastern United States into the southeastern Canadian shores of Lake Ontario. Within this area societies participated in a high degree of exchange with the highest amount of activity along waterways. The Hopewell exchange system received materials from all over the United States. Most of the items traded were exotic materials and were received by people living in the major trading and manufacturing areas. These people then converted the materials into products and exported them through local and regional exchange networks. The objects created by the Hopewell exchange system spread far and wide and have been seen in many burials outside the Midwest.[2]   

I found this in Wikipieda..not the best source I know, but when they say Hopewell, I guess they are throwing a bunch of differnt peoples into one pot there a WHOLE lot of different peoples...

The pipes in their collection are authentic.  They have more ceremonial items in their collection than the two items available on their website.  Though they call the items 'art' http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/museum-pays-acircpound650000-for-native-american-art-732450.html The preceeding link mentions one of their most recent aquisitions.

Also of note, in their 'americana' collection they have pre-1800 indigenous language material which would be beneficial to Nations who are trying to save their language.

Offline nemesis

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:23 am »
Thanks for the clarification sky

What an appalling situation.

If there is any kind of movement to repatriate these important artefacts please let me know and I will do my best to help.

Because of my activism I have have to keep myself anonymous but I may be able to help in many ways that do not compromise my identity.