Author Topic: Disappeared topics/threads  (Read 4624 times)

Offline cellophane

Disappeared topics/threads
« on: August 21, 2022, 03:00:08 am »
The whole thread on Margaret Noodin has vanished. It doesn't appear in searches, and the link from Google search doesn't work.

It is not archived at archive.org.

The thread posted inquiring about the week-long outage of the site a few weeks ago has also disappeared.

Are any others missing?

Offline Sparks

Re: Disappeared topics/threads
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 01:37:16 pm »
The thread posted inquiring about the week-long outage of the site a few weeks ago has also disappeared.

Are any others missing?

I received a dozen emails from NAFPS Forum about topics I had written in, including:

Topic removed: Margaret Noodin, Professor
Topic removed: Michael Harner and The Way of the Shaman
Topic removed: Funny, also brilliant--BabaKiueria
Topic removed: New Age Spirituality in the USA: Meet The Shamans, Gurus and Cult Leaders of America
Topic removed: NAFPS website and forum unavailable

I started the last one, and I'll quote the public reply that disappeared as it appeared in my email on August 17:

NAFPS Forum admin@newagefraud.org via mail.psiram.com

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by KrazyKraut.

View the reply at: […] http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?action=notify;topic=5619.0

The text of the reply is shown below:

Apologies, the problem was on our side. There was no attack.

We had a partition running full (causing a crash) , we had a serious backlog on updates, + several other nastiness. I have not been involved in this for years now and it was quite a challenge.

Current status is everything is updated and fixed on the server side. However, the hardware is a bit dated. We will thus migrate to new hardware this year which will cause some more outage. However, this will be planned and announced.

Feel free to contact me by PM, we have set up means to communicate in case we should go offline unexpectedly again.

My sincere apologies to you for not communicating this sooner.

Regards, The NAFPS Forum Team.

I understand that topics were removed by accident, and that the Admins are working hard to see if they can be restored from backup. Hopefully, we will have word from them in this thread.

Offline cellophane

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 09:47:29 pm »
As of yesterday, some of them can still be retrieved from the Google cache, but that doesn't last forever. It's a serious flaw that archive.org is prevented from archiving the discussions.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:05:44 am »
As of yesterday, some of them can still be retrieved from the Google cache, but that doesn't last forever.

For the topic "Margaret Noodin, Professor" I found this URL:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OsuK6kiCFnYJ:www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php

Only the first page (with 15 posts) of 11 pages shows. Clicking the link to any page from 2 to 11 goes back to the live forum and this notice:

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Offline cellophane

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 05:48:48 am »
Use this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=noodin+site:newagefraud.org

Next to the link there are three dots. Click on them and in the popup click on "cached".

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 06:27:01 pm »
I've started to reconstruct the Noodin thread. We have storms moving in for the next few hours so I'm going to take a break. If anyone would like to pick up where I left off that would be helpful.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 11:37:58 am »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 09:15:50 pm »
I am unable to post an addendum in an old thread. We've always had that weird "this is an old thread" red text come up, and we just ignore it. I may have to start a new thread and merge it in.

Is anyone else having problems posting to older threads?

Offline Sparks

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 11:31:03 pm »
Is anyone else having problems posting to older threads?

No; I just did just that, here:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2576.msg48566#msg48566