Author Topic: Juan Núñez del Prado & Sons  (Read 12902 times)

Offline Kantuta

Re: Juan Núñez del Prado & Sons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 06:39:50 am »
I was quite upset to find the web site of a young norwegian guy who claims to be an initiated "fourth-level inka priest" http://www.inkamedisin.no/ (in norwegian) Apparently, he was initiated by a Juan Nunes del Prado who he names as "one of the worlds greatest authorities on the andean knowledge" http://www.inka-online.com/juan.htm

Does anyone know anything about this guy, Juan Nunes del Prado?

Offline Sparks

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:28:42 am »
I am starting a new thread about this person (and his sons), even though two uncommented thread starts from 2007 already exist. In the title here I have spelled the name with the (Spanish) diacritical marks I found on several sites. I will point to and quote from other threads in this forum, and then present new material.

The reason for my interest in this person (and sons) is that they have attracted a following not only in major European countries, but also in Scandinavia. As an example, this event will take place in Denmark next week:

https://www.facebook.com/Workshop-Juan-Nu%C3%B1ez-del-Prado-216-til-286-2016-773927432675643/

I quote the two threadstarts in 2007 (titled Juan Nunez del Prado and Juan Nunes del Prado).

Looks fraudulent to me...
What do you think ?

http://thecenteroflight.net/KarpayPeru2005.html
http://www.spirithealonline.com/peru.htm
http://www.inka-online.com/trips.htm
http://www.stephenvictor.com/peru.html

Marlene

I was quite upset to find the web site of a young norwegian guy who claims to be an initiated "fourth-level inka priest" http://www.inkamedisin.no/ (in norwegian) Apparently, he was initiated by a Juan Nunes del Prado who he names as "one of the worlds greatest authorities on the andean knowledge" http://www.inka-online.com/juan.htm

Does anyone know anything about this guy, Juan Nunes del Prado?

Then there is this 2007-2011 thread where Núñez del Prado is mentioned about five times:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1388 ("The Inca Secret"/Elizabeth Jenkins).

Finally, I end my beginning by quoting from a 2015 thread (Puakai Healing/ Maggie Harrsen):

She is grateful to the wisdom passed onto her by beloved teachers and mentors from around the world:

DON AMÉRICO YÁBAR, JUAN NÚÑEZ DEL PRADO, THE Q'EROS PEOPLE, SANDRA INGERMAN, DR. LINDA LANCASTER OF LIGHT HARMONICS INSTITUTE, CHANDRA SUN EAGLE OF SONCO VIA KAUA'I, LLYN ROBERTS, DON FRANCISCO & DONA JUANITA AND DR. THOMAS RAU OF PARACELSUS KLINIK LUSTMÜHLE.

Piff pointed out our thread about Ingerman/FSS already. All of the so-called teachers I researched are plastic shamans.

Two of them have a similar background as Michael Harner, the founder of FSS. Both Yábar and Nunez del Prado are (or were?) anthropologists who turned plastic shamans. Both have meanwhile introduced their sons – Gayle Yábar and Ivan Nunez del Prado – to the business who are now offering seminars etc with their fathers.

Yábar and Nunez also visit similar countries:
for Yábar, there are sites from Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, UK, Slovakia, Czechia, Hungary, the Netherlands promoting events with him,
while for Nunez, I found sites from Germany, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Argentina, and Greece. One Dutch site mentions Nunez was doing regular annual visits to NL since 1999.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:23:17 am »
This is how Juan Núñez del Prado is being presented to the public in the U.K. and in Germany, respectively:

Don Juan Núñez del Prado

How did Juan Victor Núñez del Prado Bejar, a professor of anthropology, become a Kuraq Akulleq, or fourth level Andean master?

In 1955, when Juan was 10, his anthropologist father Oscar Núñez del Prado was one of the leaders of an expedition which discovered the existence of a group of Q’ero Indians in the mountains of the Andes who even today continue to maintain and practice many Inka traditions.

This euphoric success affected Juan deeply, and led him, like both his parents, to study anthropology. He eventually became a professor at the University of Cusco. For over forty years Juan studied the prophecies and ways of the Inkas and Andean cosmology, following in his father’s footsteps.

Through his research he met two fourth level Andean Masters, one being Don Benito Qoriwaman. Juan began studying with him in 1979. In 1987, Don Benito gave Juan the rite of Hatun Karpay, the great initiation, which is the fourth level of this tradition, in the lineage of Waskar Inka.

Juan has also studied within the Buddhist tradition and in 1993 received his Buddhist initiation from Lopon Lama Chechoo Rinpoche.

Don Juan now devotes his time to teaching the great Inka traditions internationally, sharing both spiritual art and practice. He often speaks at seminars and conferences and leads annual gatherings of paqos. (A paqo is a practitioner within this spiritual tradition.)

Juan Núñez del Prado

Juan Núñez del Prado followed in the footsteps of his father Oscar Núñez del Prado, studying anthropology at the University of Cusco and specializing in the religious culture of the Inkas and Q’eros, the direct descendants of the royal line of the Inkas. During his studies, his contact with the Q'eros has led him to seek initiation into the Inka tradition. For more than 10 years, he studied under the Indian healer Don Benito Qoriwaman, who was known throughout the valley of Cuzco and whom Shirley Maclaine describes in her book "It's all in the playing." It was also Don Benito who sparked Juan Núñez del Prado's interest in this ancient system of teachings on wisdom.

Subsequently, Juan expanded his knowledge further by working with other well-known old masters such as Don Andres Espinoza, Don Melchor Deza, Don Manuel Qispe, and Don Mariano Apaza and gained practically endless experience. It is important to him to share his knowledge with students around the world according to the only commandment of the Inka religion, Ayni.

It could be said that Juan Núñez del Prado is probably the individual with the most comprehensive knowledge of the Inka religion, the Inka culture, the energy work of the Inka and all its myths today. These days, even young Q'eros seek him out to learn from him, which he considers a great honor and sign of appreciation.

Due to his innate curiosity and his scientific background as an anthropologist, Juan Núñez del Prado never grows tired of expanding his knowledge in the areas of astronomy, psychology, and other religions and connecting it with the spirituality of the Inkas and the Inka tradition.

I quote these short bios in full because, in my experience, they might be altered if inconsistencies are pointed out. The websites I quote from are quite comprehensive, and later I will look at some of the claims they make.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:23:25 pm »
I am starting a new thread about this person (and his sons), even though two uncommented thread starts from 2007 already exist.
[…]
I quote the two threadstarts in 2007 (titled Juan Nunez del Prado and Juan Nunes del Prado).

Please note that my new topic and the two old topics were merged into one topic, so the two posts I quoted are now the beginnings of the present thread.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:52:23 am »
I have been looking for some scholarly criticism of the way the Núñez del Prados (mis)represent indigenous religion(s) of South America. Hard to find. Here is a blogger, Jean-Luc Colnot, who is very critical:

http://magick-instinct.blogspot.no/2014/04/money-key.html (In French; use the built-in Google translate to get an idea of the contents.)

So who is the blogger? I found this: https://boutique.oeildusphinx.com/fr/49__jean-luc-colnot — I run that short bio throug Google translate, and got this (which seems to merit a separate investigation, I'll get back to that later):

Born on 04.23.1958. After focusing very young to the spirituality of the world, Jean-Luc Colnot created in 1978 the Hiérosophique Studies Centre in Spain and France. It is in this context that for over twenty years, he organized retreats in Provence and broadcast many of his writings. Since 1996, he developed a new approach he calls Tradition Dragon. Graduated in Hebrew and in Latin American Studies from the University of Aix-en-Provence, Jean-Luc Colnot now lives in Bolivia, where he explores the Andean wisdom Kallawaya, prestigious community medicine men whose magical knowledge and medical have been declared world heritage in 2003 by UNESCO.

His blog also carries articles with criticism of Carlos Castaneda, Michael Harner, Alberto Villoldo, and dozens of other authors.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:40 pm »
A translation of Colnot's article is worth posting. Bolding is mine.

-------
Westerners have begun to hear about the qeros by the Peruvian anthropologist Juan Nuñez del Prado. This is the son of Oscar Nuñez del Prado, himself an anthropologist, illustrious father who discovered the "last descendants of the Incas" in the mid-fifties of the last century. But these are actually one of the many hybrid expressions of this descent. Thanks to - or because of - Juan Nuñez del Prado, many misconceptions are now circulating about the qeros.

The qeros do not live above 5000 meters altitude. They did not live in isolation for 500 years, far from settlers from Europe. Their religion is besides an Andean Catholicism , strongly tinged with paganism. Many of them bear very Christian names. The Qeros never prophesied 2012 nor any type of ascension to the higher spheres of unconditional love. Nor did they predict that the whites would take over to teach the Andean science of energy to the world (what arrogance!). The qeros are not the last incas nor the last aylluInca and there are many others (in the regions of Ayacucho, Huancavelica, Apurimac, Arequipa, Cusco ... to speak only of Peru). The qeros have not kept intact the purity of the Inca blood. The qeros are not the descendants of the Incas of Vilcabamba. The qeros do not devote themselves to shamanism or the permanent culture of the energetic body. In comparison with other Andean cultures, they do not distinguish themselves as being more talented in this matter. Qeros do not deliver messages to humanity. They do not promote spiritual tourism. They do not send anyone on a mission to the West to teach subtle energy techniques. The qeros do not know anything about the "prophecy of the Andes" and other tartuferies. Recall in passing that the Inca culture It is not 100,000 years old or 20,000 years old, and was one of the shortest (three centuries maximum) as well as the last of a long series of extraordinary civilizations. All that revolves around the qeros is therefore only a New Age construction, made at their expense.

At the origin of the energetic techniques claiming the qeros, Juan Nuñez del Prado has only dubbed Quechua words on concepts already used by the new world religion, in order to propose them as so many new lucrative, on the international market for personal development. One of her most famous disciples is Elizabeth Jenkins , who in 2007 had written two books on the subject ( The Return of the Inca  and Journey to Q'eros ), without ever having set foot in South America or met with interested.

Needless to say, the Indians do not see the shadow of a centavo of the huge amounts of money generated by these activities (very developed in the Scandinavian countries, England, Germany, USA, Canada and Belgium). .. or so little. All these funds benefit the creators and animators of the system, the teachers who teach these methods, the centers that host them, and the tourism agencies and other middle-class people who now organize mystical journeys to Peru, where European visitors will indeed meet with qeros - but briefed, restrained and underpaid by their employers - without ever truly sharing authentic indigenous culture. On this occasion, the q '  what " anthropologists ", creators of the system, told them to tell. Sometimes even, these qeros are so doubtful that they  hold a mystical discourse that  some machines  can now reproduce without difficulty.

All this is supported by the Peruvian government, which sells its Andean heritage in the form of neo-Incaism, after having almost destroyed that of its psychedelic Amazon. Recall that the Peruvian state continues to be a colonial institution that makes little of its Indians and sees in their mythical image that the promise of benefits that these frauds report. As Jacques Galinier and Antoinette Molinié point out, " In national ideology, nothing is further from the State Indian claimed by the neo-Inca of Cuzco than the sociological Indian considered degenerate and archaic. real misery of a mythical prestige as the other "( the new Indian , p. 214).

The point common to all these attitudes is an obvious schizophrenia, similar to that of Perenco who makes believe that she saves what she is actually destroying. In marketing terms, this smoothing of appearances is also called "image buying". I also recall that some neo-mechanical foundations , or even some French NGOs, also work like that. They claim to work for the preservation of cultures that they say they love, but whose contents make them indifferent to the point of substituting them, of standardizing them and even of ignoring them.

Questioned on this point, these institutions are content to answer that they have no reason to have a conscience instead of Westernized Peruvians who are lacking. In short, since the others cultivate this approach little looking, let's do the same but show the opposite. Then, the example of the shaman who speaks on the phone with the spirits, it shows well that the culture of a people is not worth being perpetuated or respected, since anyway "it works". And above all, "it pays". But who? Let us content ourselves with the most degenerative versions and make our model of them, rather than patiently questioning the luminous traces of the many ancestors. We are, by this means, at least some of to obtain a "shamanism" of the third millennium of the best quality ... that, very spiritual, which corresponds to us. But back to our qeros....