Author Topic: Alberto Villoldo  (Read 63599 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Alberto Villoldo
« on: March 11, 2006, 06:31:53 pm »
http://www.ucsbdailynexus.com/news/2006/11229.html

Shamans To Shed Light on Healing

By Megan Snedden — Staff Writer
Published Friday March 10, 2006

Article Options
Printer Friendly Version  
Email this story  
Related Articles
Peace Group To Host Event In Place of Planned Speech

Aslan, Miles To Address Understanding of Islam

King To Perform at Arlington

Pundits Debate Biases in American Press

Political Figures To Discuss Partisan Bias in the Media

UCSB Anticipates Tutu's Future Lecture

Several shamans will present their knowledge of alternative medicines at the Fourth Conference on Global Medicine this weekend, beginning tonight in Campbell Hall.

Hosted by the UCSB Global Medicine Project and the Four Winds Society, “Gathering of the Shamans: Healing Arts of Indigenous Peoples??? kicks off with a keynote address by Four Winds Society founder and conference co-creator Albert Villoldo tonight at 8 in Campbell Hall. A sold-out weekend retreat at El Capitan Canyon Resort will follow from Saturday morning until 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Although the weekend retreat is sold out, interested parties can still purchase tickets for the Campbell Hall lecture at the door for $8.

At tonight’s event, Villoldo will discuss his experiences studying the healing practices of the Peruvian Q’eros - an indigenous tribe he lived with for over 20 years. Villoldo said shamans’ medical practices, including “energy medicine,??? affect people’s “luminous energy fields??? - which is analogous to a blueprint for the body.
“Energy medicine doesn’t work on the physical body, it works on the luminous energy field that envelopes the physical body and organizes the body the same way a magnet organizes iron on a piece of glass,??? Villoldo said.

Instead of prescription drugs or surgery, Global Medicine Project Director Dan Smith said, shamanism involves the healing and empowerment of people through personal transformation and direct experience with the powers of the earth.

Smith said Villoldo will discuss the traditions of the Mexican Toltecs and other American Indian tribes as well as those of the Q’ero.

“Not very many people understand these cultures from the inside, but people like Alberto do because of his immersion into their culture,??? Smith said.

Religious Studies Dept. Chair Catherine Albanese said her department is sponsoring the keynote speaker, but not the weekend retreat. She said the conference allows people to broaden their knowledge of themselves and other cultures.

“We are a society that likes to have alternatives,??? Albanese said. “Looking at alternative models for healing enlarges our own vision and sense of who we are in the world.???

Smith said the American Indian healing methods stem from their appreciation for the environment.

“There seems to be a fascination with indigenous people who find themselves on the brink of an environmental nightmare,??? Smith said. “Environmental difficulties cause people to find new ways of self-sustainable life.???

He said 140 people are attending the sold-out weekend retreat to receive tribal teachings and healing energies from the Q’ero elders. He said the Q’eros are descendents of an ancient Incan tribe who lived at 18,000 feet in the Andes Mountains. The Q’eros preserved their ancient healing traditions when they fled to the Peruvian Andes to escape Spanish conquest.

On Saturday afternoon, participants will have the choice of meeting with various shamans, Smith said. The Saturday session includes dinner and will conclude at 9 p.m. with a fire ceremony led by Native American Indian shaman metis Brooke Medicine Eagle. Sunday will follow a similar schedule and will culminate with a sunset ceremony led by Maria Yraceburu of the Cherokee snake medicine lineage.

Smith said participants are not being inducted into indigenous tribes.

“At the retreat, we are not teaching how to become Indian,??? Smith said. “We are teaching participants the way of the shaman, which actually means healer and wisdom keeper.???

The event provides attendees with the opportunity to learn the diverse healing cultures of the world, Smith said, which contributes to a global consciousness regarding different cultures and traditions worldwide. The conference examines the influence of belief systems on health, he said.

“Learning about cultures creates a bridge between cultures,??? Smith said. “If you learn about the medical traditions of a culture then you are also learning about that culture’s system of values. If you understand the values of a cultures, then you can understand the meaning behind the actions of people in that culture.???

According to its website, the UCSB Global Medicine Project was founded in 1997 in order to expand people’s knowledge of alternative medicines, and according to the Four Winds Society website, the society is an alternative medicine research and training organization.

Offline iggyzo

Re: Alberto Villoldo
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:08:48 am »
and his Healing the Light Body school. Anyone know if hes a fraudster or not?

frederica

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:24:36 pm »
Looks like a Medical Anthropologist/Psychologist that started out doing biofeedback and progressed to Nuage/Inka practices.  http://www.thefourwinds.com/healing-light-body-training.htm

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:50:14 pm »
We have four other threads in here mentioning exploiters that got their training from him or claim endorsement from him but don't have a gthread explaining why he's a fraud.

Iggy, there's a number of reasons why Villoldo is clearly a fraud, one of the worser ones in my opinion because of the amount of damage he's done. He's an exploiter in academia, along the lines of Castaneda, Harner, Martin Prechtel, and Mehl Madrona, which means that he knows better and just doesn't care, and also that he tries to use his academic credentials to promote the acceptance of this kind of exploitation.

Like Harner, he's one of the so called core shamanism people. There are a number of threads in here on the topic that I'd urge you to look at.

Yet at the same time he claims to have been trained by alleged (and always unnamed) elders in Qero Peru. Qero is the Sedona of Latin America, a mecca for Nuage falsehoods, dubious claims, silliness, and wishful thinking. Anything or anyone claiming to come from either place should be taken with a whole plateload of salt.

LIke Castaneda, most of what Villoldo passes off as Native is actually from Asian traditions, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Taoism. Both men count on their victims being ignorant of not only NDN beliefs, but Asian ones too. The next post will go into that fraud's site in detail.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:20:52 am »
Alberto Willoldo is very big here in Scandinavia. He does have Quero Natives travelling around with him, from what I have heard they charge for ceremonies.

Some people I know of are heavily in debt after having paid enormous amount of money to participate in the different courses. One of my friends attended a meeting with Willoldo and called it "Cult-like" to say the least. She said he makes loads of money on this. How much the Natives get I don´t have a clue....

I have never met him or the Natives he brings over....so this is just what I´ve heard other people say.

Offline Cieron

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »
    He is big here in the UK as well.

I don't know much about the Qero tradition but, having just watched Alberto's videos, I have become very suspicious. (I was already suspicious I must confess having spoken to some of his followers.) He professes to teach 'shamanism' and says that what he teaches is an ancient Incan tradition. He says that he has the support of the 'Elders' to bring these traditions to the West and to teach them worldwide. They have, he says, entrusted this to him in order for the world to be ready for the 'harvesting of souls' that will happen in 2012. However, what he teaches does not seem to resemble any form of Shamanism I've heard of. It appears to me to be a concoction of New Age beliefs cobled together from Eastern philospohies with a few South American terms thrown in.

1) He talks about transcending from the physical, Earthly plane. But most of the traditional animist traditions are very Earth-based and certainly wouldn't be trying to transcend it.

2) He talks a lot about "energies" and working on the "energetic level" but there is absolutely no mention of spirits. In all the 'shamanic' traditions I've heard of, working with the spirits is fundamental.

3) He talks a lot about working with the Chakras but aren't they an Eastern concept? He says that the natives he was taught by had travelled from India to South America 30,000 years ago so I guess that explains it.

4) He teaches how to break the link with ancestors. He seems to think that this frees one to fully transcend the past and become a "luminous being". However, all the traditional animist traditions I have heard of work closely with the ancestors.

Nicholas Breeze Wood said this in Issue 59 of Sacred Hoop Magazine about his Munay-Ki videos, "Despite the fairly frequent use of the word ‘shamanism’ in the film, I can’t really say the teachings come over as very shamanic in a classical-anthropological sense; they seem to be more in the line of energetic healing techniques, and if I am honest I got a bit bored half-way through, as this kind of ‘homogenised new-age-tinged spiritual teaching’ is not my cup of tea."

So am I right to be suspicious? Is he really making it all up or does he really teach an ancient form of Incan Shamanism?

Offline nemesis

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:00 am »
there's a whole load of 2021 related BS at the Four Winds website

http://www.thefourwinds.com/2012-prophecies-inka.php

2012: A Different Alternative

The Shamans of the Americas announce a time of upheaval, turmoil and opportunity that peaks on December 21, 2012. But the prophecy does more than predict the doom of humanity, it also offers great hope by presenting us with energy-based practices and processes that we can bring into our daily lives for manifesting opportunities during these times of great change.

The Tools to Navigate Fearlessly

For the ancient shamans, the energetic processes offered by the Four Winds provided more than information about what is to come – they offer each of us the tools to craft a new destiny for ourselves and our earth. They empower us to seize the unprecedented opportunities that spirit and life are bringing us now – so that we can prepare for 2012 and beyond.

To learn more about the processes and teachings of the Shamans and how you can experience them, click here http://www.thefourwinds.com/tp-overview.php

The Courage to Dream the World Differently

The prophecies foretell of a new human appearing on the planet – a person of wisdom and power who lives free of fear and resides in their eternal nature. This human is brought forth from within each of us through the nine great initiations of the medicine way, which come from the Laika, the ancient medicine men and women of the Andes and builders of Machu Picchu. The initiations are one of the three pillars of the shamanic teachings offered through our healing the Light Body School and the Munay Ki.

To learn more about the Great Rites click here: Munay Ki

2012 Resources

Click on each link below for media and information:

Video:

Laika Destiny Reading for 2012

2012 Video trailer

Prophecies Video

Calling in the Sun’s Teachings

Conference Calls:

2012 is Now!

The Return of Quetzalquoatl

11/11 Power and Ethics

Latest Inka Prophecies for the End of Time

2012 The End of Time

Epiphany

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »
Google translation:

For the workshop "Heaven and earth conquer" with Alberto Villoldo and Marcela Lobos, we have 10 delegate places for dedicated young shaman to 25 years who want to go into teaching at Whitsun 07 / 8:06:14 in the two! Apply yourself and write us why you want to participate.

https://www.facebook.com/frankfurter.ring.ev/photos/pb.189494374399920.-2207520000.1407500529./869937406355610/?type=3&theater

About Marcela: "She is a senior staff member at the Four Winds Society and is married to its founder, Alberto Villoldo." https://www.kripalu.org/presenter/V0000648/marcela_lobos

Check out the attached image here.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:21:10 pm by Piff »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »
Wow. Classy.

:o

Offline amorYcohetes

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:08:41 am »
Marcela Lobos' Kripalu bio where it calls her
a medicine woman initiated in the healing and spiritual traditions of the Amazon and the Andes. She was born and raised in Chile
reminded me of another thread on a questionable character with a South American background.  And I don't believe Chile actually has any Amazonian region.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:31:45 am »
We have four other threads in here mentioning exploiters that got their training from him or claim endorsement from him but don't have a gthread explaining why he's a fraud.

A search for Alberto Villoldo in the forum brought 48 results. By now, much more than four of them fit the above description. This quote seems appropriate here:

In an effort to understand the place of Spezzano and Associates Ltd. Psychology of Vision (SALPOV) in the universe of frauds, perverts, loonies, egotists, and crooks as exposed by NAFPS, I took a stroll through the entire "Fraud" section to do some comparison measuring. This exercise was not super in-depth at all, so I am sure I missed a few other connections.
[…]
Scanning through this forum has been a real educational eye opener and I have even more appreciation for all you out there who are devoting your time to educating the public about cultural theft, psychocolonisation, and "healers" who take advantage of vulnerable people. Thank you.

Here are my notes:
[…]
Alberto Villodo: I found more than one example of people citing training from both SALPOV and Villodo on their resumes. Villodo is a contemporary of the Spezzanos, and his career has a few parallels, except instead of going up and down the North American West Coast posing as a psychic like Charles Lee Spezzano did in 1980-1982, Villodo went into academics and established some professional-looking credentials. He also founded The Four Winds Society, "Where Modern Science Meets Ancient Wisdom." Villodo and the Spezzanos turn up in the same New Age catalogs of crappy nonsense for sale, and in the same lecture circuits for the gullible affluent class. The difference is, Villodo's marketing is slicker and he is in Wikipedia, while-- sorry Charlie-- Spezzano was rejected as not being "notable" enough. However, Villodo apparently shares the same sort of bogus APA unaccredited Ph.D. that Charles possesses, so they have that little facade in common. In using the "healing" scam they are all going after the same customer base, but it would appear the Spezzanos can only watch Villodo from afar and salivate with jealousy at being outclassed by a more accomplished con artist.
[…]
It's all bullshit. All of it.

The name 'Villoldo' is misspelled 'Villodo' in the above quote, therefore was not included in the search results.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:42 am »
LIke Castaneda, most of what Villoldo passes off as Native is actually from Asian traditions, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Taoism. Both men count on their victims being ignorant of not only NDN beliefs, but Asian ones too. The next post will go into that fraud's site in detail.

Alberto Villoldo keeps at least four Internet sites:

http://albertovilloldophd.com/
https://www.facebook.com/AlbertoVilloldo/
http://thefourwinds.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheFourWindsSociety/

I hope for a detailed work-through to establish him definitely as a fraud. His books are translated and widely distributed in Scandinavian countries, and I need something irrefutable to counter that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Villoldo

This article, for instance, is too short, too lame and too tame to be useful. Any Wikipedians here?

Offline Sparks

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 01:14:33 am »
For more than 50 years I have known about and admired some of the achievements of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Explorers_Club in New York, NY.

I was very annoyed and disgusted when finding this recently (Date: Monday, May 9th, 2016):

https://explorers.org/events/detail/public_lecture_series_with_dr_alberto_villoldo

What a disgrace! How could they?

Offline Sparks

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:22 am »
Isabella Stoloff- "Trained by Dr. Alberto Villoldo and The Four Winds Society"
IOW, a franchisee of a fraud.

From a Sámi in Sweden comes this response to a post by Isabella Stoloff, I am quoting the part about Villoldo:

Furthermore, you only list one teacher on your homepage, a certain Dr. Alberto Villoldo, who is a known New Age fraud amongst actual Indigenous peoples around the world, and the actual shamans you’ve “learnt” from are only referred to as that – they’re faceless, nameless props in your business plan.

Offline Sandy S

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »
My apologies for the typo of listing "Alberto Villodo" rather than "Alberto Villoldo." Perhaps I subconsciously desired to knock the "L" out of him.