Author Topic: Scott Frazier, Crow/Santee  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Scott Frazier, Crow/Santee
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:25:17 pm »
I strongly feel he's one of the good guys but would like to hear what Indian people think. He's going to be in my neck of the woods again at the end of the month but I will be on a course and studying in the evenings.

Maybe one of the moderators could just move this thread to the 'Legit' section, if that's best.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=7848

http://www.american-indian-review.co.uk/American%20Indian%20Review%2021.html#thephoenixofthepast21

http://www.nps.gov/yell/slidefile/mammals/bison/page-18.htm

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Scott Frazier, Crow/Santee
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 04:53:57 pm »
He does look legut. Also he works with the Buffalo Field Campaign which wins him points in my book. :)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 06:26:32 pm »
Everything I found on him says he's a good man with as good a heart as they come.

Two things worth pointing out for any Nuage lurkers:
He ran for the state legislature. None of this "no reality, I'm too spiritual" stuff for him.
http://www.billingsgazette.com/region/20000225_reg16.html
And this elder has worked as a pipefitter and bee keeper.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 07:38:42 pm »
You make a good point, Al. Most of the frauds are too "spirichooal" to work. Got to get supported by someone. Most of the real people I have met, work. Or used to before they retired. I was having an argument with a friend anout why someone should not pay to pray. And she said "Well, I don't think it's wrong to pay people for their work." Meaning for ceremony. I told her that she could not hold Indian people under white beliefs. So she asked how my husband's cousin (who had just died) supported himself (he was a very powerful man) and I told her that he worked and was an artist. He worked for his people for less money they he might have made elsewhere. But that's what made him happy: He worked for his people.

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 02:50:45 pm »
Scott is a good man who does truely believe that he is educating people - he has worked for many Native youth programs and has attended and spoken for several of the programs I've run without pay - He currently is working with a youth focused group called Native Waters (and takes a LOT of crap from the Non's in the group for his standing by his principals)  He has traveled with Dr. Henri Mann and in my book that says it all.  On the other side he has had a number of Crow protest his sweats - although with the Crow that often comes down to tribal politics - they do run three governments at the same time now...

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:09:52 pm »
Scott is a good man who does truely believe that he is educating people - he has worked for many Native youth programs and has attended and spoken for several of the programs I've run without pay - He currently is working with a youth focused group called Native Waters (and takes a LOT of crap from the Non's in the group for his standing by his principals)  He has traveled with Dr. Henri Mann and in my book that says it all.  On the other side he has had a number of Crow protest his sweats - although with the Crow that often comes down to tribal politics - they do run three governments at the same time now...

Thanks very much for your response. It's a shame I won't be able to go and see him, but it's not the first time he's come to Europe, so maybe it won't be the last.

Offline whiteclay

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:27:34 pm »
Not sure I agree with all of this. Scott is a self-proclaimed spiritual leader. Years ago, he heard an Arapaho man went into the Wind River mountains and fasted near some spiritual petroglyphs and received a vision. Once Fraizer heard of this, he immediately went to the site and fasted as well. The issue is that he went to the wrong location and then came back as a spiritual leader. If you ask around the Wind River Reservation, he has a poor reputation and is the butt of jokes among the holy people there. He conducts Sun Dances, although he is unclear where he received his rites from, that have an uncomfortable amount of non-Natives participating. In fact, he has conducted this ceremony in non-traditional settings and is a big hit is Europe. In my mind, he is bad news and plays the "I am important" game a bit too often. The majority of his "followers" are non-Native people.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:55 pm »
This contradicts everything else we've found on Frazier. Could you point us towards some sources? Other accounts? Other critics besides yourself?