Author Topic: Inipi Olowan  (Read 12287 times)

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
Inipi Olowan
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:49 am »
An interesting clip sent to me.....

For anyone interested www.matoska.com along with white bear record has a new cd out called " Inipi Olowan" Inipi meaning sweat lodge.  It is the Lakota sweat lodge songs with an 8 page book with english translations, a total of 57:31 min.
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

Offline Chaska

Re: Inipi Olowan
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
The NDN translation of Inipi doesnt mean sweatlodge.  It means "to strengthen the WILL in a sacred way"

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:29:15 am »
Appreciate the translation, I would have thought you would be against the sale of these songs and would say so. Some folks think it is bad medicine to sell sacred songs and I think that way too.

Offline tahcha_sapa

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:55:53 pm »
What appears to have been the catalyst for natives cashing in on and selling out the spiritual value of the Lakota culture in particular was the marketing of a cassette recording, with a color booklet, of Lakota Ceremonial Songs by Albert White Hat and Sinte Gleska college. John Around Him, from Pine Ridge, sang the songs for that particular recording. Albert White Hat is married to a non-native and appears, from an early age on, determined to compensate for a perceived lack of recognition that he seems to believe that he deserves. And he's going to make the whole community of St. Francis, and the whole Lakota tribe, pay for this lack of respect that the community and tribe has had for him and his family. He'll show them.  He's going to make all of them pay by selling everyone out.
The "Hollow Horn Bear Sun dance" is about the most controversial of his projects because he first duped Howard Bad Hand, then Duane Hollow Horn Bear, into supporting a sun dance managed by him. Albert has longed for any kind of prominence since he was kid. His involvement with Norbert Running's sun dance gave him a taste of the kind of respect that he has longed for. Ask anyone on the Rosebud rez about the New Age sun dance and everyone will tell you "Hollow Horn Bear's sun dance". 
So, David Swallow is only following Albert White Hat's lead. They both shrewdly cashed in on their own lack of personal integrity and creativity by plundering the traditionally sacred songs of the Lakota. Otherwise, who would buy anything that either one of these individuals produced one their own? Because this material, the traditional sacred songs, are in the public domain, neither Albert nor David have to share any royalties to any original creative artist. It's all profit. Cultural grave robbing with only profit and no authority to answer to. 

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:01:37 am »
Hau! yes its true that the lakota sacred songs weither it be SunDance or yuwipi songs that are recorded are on CDs and now in the hands of all ppls ,i regret to say that we as Natives should have ousted many who make monies or for there own personnal gain be looked at with respect. I for one feel that we should have put a stop to anyone who does these things , many of our medcine men or individuals go abroad and sell our ceremonies , yet we dont ask the native communities to end such disrespect for the sale of our sacred ceremonies. There are many of our medicane men & women that go abroad and do such things ,Example : the late Archie Fire lame deer who passed on went to Holland and has a huge gathering of german , european followers that still to this day follow his words , There is even talk that they want to make a statue of him to honor his teachings ,His son John lamedeer is following his fathers footsteps ,and they Honor him as a medcine man and next chief of the lakita ppls . I have friends that send me word that he is honored in such a way as a chief . the europeans do cont,to go to Crowdogs paradise for the sacred circle,I have been to his Sundance and the relatives say its what is called Crowdogs Circus .
Chiefytiger