General > Non-Frauds

Ayahuasca Pseudo Shamanism as a Cult

<< < (2/2)

E.P. Grondine:

--- Quote from: educatedindian on February 15, 2010, 03:31:47 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ahriman on February 14, 2010, 01:44:28 am ---3. As what regards the term "cult", it is just a derogatory term for any minority religion. As soon as they reach a certain critical mass, one stops calling them a cult. The term cult also implies brainwash, intimidation of critics etc. But as what regards ayahuasca, I am aware of evidence justifying calling it a cult for such reasons.

--- End quote ---

3. Size of a group has nothing to do with it. Within cult studies, a cult by definition uses deception, coercion, monitoring or control of followers, and is abusive and exploitive towards.

--- End quote ---

Educated Indian, you've hit all the key points that identify cults, and cult leader's behaviors.

As all here know, all of these are far from Native American spirituality and the behavior of spiritual guides.

In my opinion the best and definitive book on cults is "Combating Cult Mind Control" by Steven Hassan.

pencil:
I also posted on something similar on the Tantra thread, but spiritual tourism is booming and bringing in much-needed foreign dollars to Peru and Bolivia. But the downside of that is that there seems to be a high number of folks claiming to be shamans with "handed down through the generations" worth of teachings and secret rituals. While I have no doubt that there are genuine shamans and healers among the Quechuan and other tribes there, Ayahuasca seems to be the new marijuana there and every second backpacker wants to take the trip.
I was even surprised to find out when I got to Macchu Pichu that it closes at 4pm everyday because they rent out the site after that time to "spiritual tourism" groups, same with Lake Titicaca. Pseudo-shamanism there is rife, I'm not even sure how you would be able to connect with a genuine Elder if you wanted to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version