Author Topic: Native Hawaiian Resources  (Read 50898 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Native Hawaiian Resources
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:11:21 pm »
After sending out invites that got passed onto some Native Hawaiian lists, decided to start this thread. One of the first responses was from this company that looks to be a pretty good resource.

www.namaka.com

The latest video they put out is about both a Hawaiian sacred site and Mt Graham.

Offline makaakiu

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Native Hawaiian Resources
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:28:49 am »
Thank you for posting this. The link that you provided looks genuinely Hawaiian to me. I am a Kanaka Maoli (Native Hawaiian), and being that we are a small, scattered group, whose homeland has been transformed into a tourist resort, our language, traditions, cultural identity, and spiritual practices have been largely commercialized and perverted by Europeans.

Currently there is a group of people, mostly white, who refer to themselves as Hunians and refer to their organization as Huna. They practice Huna, which they claim to be a Hawaiian religion, and they even go so far as to call themselves kahuna, or priests. However, Huna is not now, nor has it ever been, a Native Hawaiian religion. Huna was conjured up by a non Hawaiian named Max Freedom Long, although in a fruitless effort to authenticate themselves some Hunians claim their religion was started earlier by another white man named William Tufts Brigham. Max Freedom Long claimed to have acquired ancient Hawaiian secrets from his accuaintences while staying in Hawaii. Since then, Huna has been perpetuated by white men, and it has grown exponentionally among non Hawaiians. One of its leaders, Serge Kahili King, has done well for himself by marketing his new age religion through his television show, conferences, and a great number of books that he wrirtes concerning Huna.

I just thought that since this Huna group is continuing to grow, and since its members continue to claim that it is a form of Native Hawaiian spiritualism, it would be important for me to inform others that Huna has nothing to do with the my people. They are a bunch of frauds.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by makaakiu »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:07:09 pm »
Good to have you here. We really need people to help us on this issue. I've tried wading through what's on the net. All the links on Long are from his followers, and they won't even put out a simple bio of him without you buying one of their books.

I find it pretty curious the claims about Brigham. Seems even more elborate a claim than usual. From what I've been able to piece together, Brigham supposedly uncovered hidden knowledge for 40 years and then decided to hand it all over to Long, whose followers in turn claim to have uncovered it all from him 30 years after his death. And it all seems to be about personal secrets for wealth, hidden knowldge of the future, even sex secrets, some of it sold on websites in German and Italian.

There's several other threads in here I think you might be interested in.
 http://www.newagefraud.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1145931634/2#2
http://www.newagefraud.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1121555210/2#2
http://www.newagefraud.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1121555343/0#0

If you have any good links, go ahead and add to the thread. We esp could use sites with Hawaiian activists or elders' words about the exploiters.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 05:49:12 pm »
A Native Hawaiian professor gave me these resources and also had some interesting comments.
-----
Aloha Dr. Carroll,
Sorry for the delayed response, but I was seriously considering your question. You know what? I can't honestly provide you with a reliable source that I know about. I can provide you with a new website that will have more information in the future. www.nativehawaii.org
As far as books, I can't think of anything either except for one book. Here's the data:
Meyer, Manu (2003). Ho'oulu: Our Time of Becoming?Hawaiian Epistemology and Early Writings. Honolulu : Ai Pohaku Press.
Here's her CV: http://hilo.hawaii.edu/depts/education/ManuMeyerCurriculumVitae.php

Other than that I think there is general agreement that Native people don't freely advertise sacred things, which is why good Native literature is scarce. It's not something that people can just plug into on the weekend, if you know what I mean.
But the best answer I can give to your question is to read the vast amount of literature (stories) written by our people in OUR language. We contemporaries today are fortunate that our ancestors were such prolific writers when literacy was introduced. There are some things translated to English, but they are often either taken out of order, out of context, and sometimes the English translation doesn't do it justice.
I hope this helps.
-----
And an earlier email where he said some things so much like what we've said in here over and over.
-----
I'll be brief by simply saying: We gotta stop these hippies from taking over!
So land, women, labor, etc. . . isn't enough. They want our spirituality too.
I can't stand hearing about nude hikers along the Na Pali coast of Kaua'i, rearranging our sacred shrines, and the labelling our Kahuna as Shamans.
How serendipetous this email, as I plan this week to introduce to my class Native spirituality. I show a video about Native Americans called In the Light of Reverence to get the point across. You probably have seen it already.
Me ka ha'aha'a,
Kealoha Kaliko

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:06:34 pm »
Excellent article. Found this while searching for Henry Awae, whom Robin Youngblood claims taught her.

http://www.hawaii.edu/chs/osorio.html
Protecting our Thoughts-- Jon Osorio
A speech delivered at Voices of the Earth Conference held in Amsterdam, November 10, 1993.

I would like to begin my presentation today with a story about academic colonialism. In 1980, while still a graduate student, I attended a Pacific Historians Association Conference in Agana, Guam. In one of the presentations, a young research anthropologist was discussing the difficulties of securing "data" on a small atoll, Kapingamarangi in Micronesia. He had secured the services of a Native informant who was well-versed in the arts of magic and science on his island. The researcher, a haole (white man), acknowledged the fact that the Native informant refused to reveal certain dangerous secrets to him. He said it would be necessary to train some young islanders at a university and send them back to Kapingamarangi where they would, doubtless, be more successful at squeezing information from the elder. The researcher's presentation was titled, appropriately, "Wringing it Dry".
I proceeded to challenge the anthropologist's right to take the Islander's knowledge against his will. The researcher was astonished by my question. He was a "scientist" he said, as though that settled the issue. In his pursuit of knowledge he felt entitled to betray the confidence of a man who had given him everything that he had a right to know. I asked the researcher if his paper on the subject would benefit the Native informant as much as it would benefit him.
This story illustrates the incredibly pernicious nature of the western academy and its claims to primacy. Scholars betray how contemptuous they are of other peoples' cultures when they assume that nothing can nor should be hidden from them. As scientists they know that there is nothing dangerous about a shaman's knowledge. With supreme indifference to their trusted position they proceed to wring from us what they can, analyzing and discussing us in workshops and conferences. Hopefully, they will make a career out of training others to do the same.
Given this brand of imperialism, it is necessary for Natives to protect ourselves against yet another form of foreign penetration. But, as usual, we find ourselves at a disadvantage. For not only have we gotten a late start in the business of academia, but we begin with wholly different assumptions about knowledge that not only clash with the Euro-American mode of scholarship, but have an entirely different morality as well.
For over five years now the Center for Hawaiian Studies has been doing battle in the academic arena. The Center has empowered Native scholars by challenging the colonial myth of western scholarly superiority and the hegemony of western science.
While it is true that Native scholarship has been greatly assisted by a more liberal interpretation of historical evidence -- namely the willingness of modern historians to rely on oral testimony and their desire to try to understand events from a Native perspective -- we have also had to continually battle a racial bias that has privileged the haole academic over the Native person, particularly in the area of academic hiring (Hawaiians constitute less than 2% of the faculty at the University of Hawai'i).
But to do battle, successfully, against the colonial assumptions of western scholarship we must be careful that we not forsake our own cultural strengths in the process. We must be aware that there are built-in mythologies in need of exposure and discussion. One myth is the western scholar's belief that knowledge is public property. I propose that in neither the Native nor the haole realm is this true.
In our nearly 2000-year history, Hawaiians have regarded knowledge not as public property but as deeply personal and spiritual understanding. We receive our instruction as signs from our 'aumakua (personal gods) and from mo'olelo (stories) via our kupuna (elders).
>>>In our culture, knowledge is never sold or traded, it is shared. This custom allows non-Natives to profit from our knowledge as we have found it difficult even in modern times to be suspicious and selfish with what we know.<<< Fortunately, at least until the last decade, our knowledge and insights were never considered valuable enough to be extracted by American historians (anthropologists are another matter) who believed that their analyses were sufficient unto themselves.
With the gradual change in scholarly attitudes toward "indigenous perspectives" it has become necessary to protect ourselves from the academic prospector who comes to us hoping to reveal the wonderful and exotic ways in which we view the world. Telling themselves that they are doing the world and indigenous people a tremendous service, they either ignore or rationalize the fact that not everyone benefits equally when they share our information.
Sometimes, however, it is not enough for Native peoples to simply be protective of their knowledge. On the island of Hawai'i, Papa Henry Awae is an accomplished Kahuna la'au lapa'au (professional healer who uses native plants and herbs). He has received his expertise from his forebears and is well versed not only in identifying medicinal plants, but in the important rituals of healing. This kahuna is very careful with whom he shares his secrets. He believes that it is necessary to train someone to take up healing before he passes on. One of the important sources of rare medicinal plants is a dry land rain forest known as Wao Kele o Puna, one of the last remaining forests of its kind in Hawai'i. For the last few years the State of Hawai'i and private corporations have been operating a geothermal plant that will, if it is allowed to expand, destroy this important source of herbs and woods. Papa Awae's significant scholarship cannot be useful if the plants he depends on cease to exist.
Wao Kele o Puna is also an important haven for Hawaiians who practice the worship of Pele, the fire Goddess. For these, her descendants, the geothermal project is a horrible desecration of their Goddess as rods are thrust into the literal body of Pele in order to extract her life force. Geothermal supporters who argue that the plant will benefit the public (a claim that has yet to be proven) have consistently refused to acknowledge the validity of Hawaiians' cultural and intellectual property. The issue involves more than simply patenting our information. We must also protect the land on which that knowledge can be practiced.
In Hawai'i, Native people and our lands have been exploited by Europeans, Americans and recently, the Japanese. After the lands were divided and sold to foreign settlers, and after Hawaiians suffered enormous depopulation from introduced disease, we found even our beliefs and arts could be appropriated by people with money. The commodification of the hula represents the most monstrous desecration of a once deeply spiritual art form whose composition and performance were dedicated to our Gods and to our chiefs.
>>>Today there are hundreds of halau (schools of hula) in Japan where Japanese instructors profit from their peoples' insatiable desire to be someone else and who can afford to pay for that fantasy.<<<
....It is not enough for Native peoples to rely on well-meaning international resolutions like this draft declaration. We must act on our own behalf. That requires, unfortunately, forsaking our innocence and accepting that our knowledge can be construed as property. On the other hand, I believe that the western scholar must also concede that he/she has operated from a moral principal that is, at the very least, inappropriate when dealing with Natives and, at its worst, a deceitful exploitation. Scholars would do well to ask themselves, before they come to study us and while they write their dissertations, "Whose loss underwrites my gain?"

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:50 pm »
Thank you for the invitation. As far as critiques of Huna go, there is very little in print or on the web, though the people associated with the About Huna page on Facebook are working on a book and plan to make associated media once that is done. There is a chapter in the book, Ho'opono http://www.amazon.com/HOOPONO-Pali-Jae-Lee/dp/0967725372/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310848844&sr=1-1 with research showing it is not Hawaiian. I mentioned previously the book Hawaiian Lomilomi: Big Island Massage http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Lomilomi-Big-Island-Massage/dp/0967725321/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310849003&sr=1-1 with research on what they call "temple" or "tantric" lomilomi. However, the book is not written by a Hawaiian and in other sections suffers from a cultural appropriation perspective.

Also, please be aware that the latest version of cultural appropriation is with ho'oponopono. Ho'oponopono is an ancient Hawaiian tradition of a family council that comes together to resolve family problems, thought to cause sickness. However, the word has been appropriated and a New Age version invented and published in the book Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More, by Joe Vitale a motivational speaker who was in The Secret. A lot of the Huna people are into this, what Jolene calls faux'oponopono.

I will post more resources as I become aware of them. Hawaiians have mostly concentrated on preserving and reclaiming their own heritage, rather than fighting the ethnocide, but that is changing. One of the things we've been looking at is the UN Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Have you folks looked at that? We are wondering now that the US has adopted it whether there are ways of bringing claims against the Hunians. We are also interested in whether others have tried bringing fraud, deceptive trade practice or other lawsuits against plastic shamans (other than the big one against James Ray).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:40:15 am by Pono Aloha »

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:57 pm »
Recommended Reading

These books are listed more or less in the order of suggested reading, as they build on each other. Hard to find titles are often available at www.nativebookshawaii.com

Pali Jae Lee

Tales from the Night Rainbow
Written with John Koko Willis, this is the true story of the kaula or prophetess from Molokai, Makaweliweli, told in the authentic voice of the last of her students, Kaili‘ohe Kame‘ekua. It is about the ancient spirituality, before kapu. It is about the true mystical, magical place where love ruled and men lived as brothers. (As of this writing, this book is in print.)

Ho‘opono
This book continues the teachings of Makaweliweli, and brings them into our lives today. It tells the wonderful life stories of Pali and Koko and their amazing telepathy. Entwined with the stories are practical suggestions for how we can connect with traditions of mana, ‘ohana, kahuna, ‘aumakua, pono, and aloha.

Nana Veary

Change We Must
The life story of one of Hawai‘i’s most respected kupuna. She tells delightful stories of growing up with her grandparents, learning ho‘oponopono, feeding sharks, listening to plants, and her religious journey of spirituality from ‘aumakua to Pentecostalism to Unity to Zen Buddhism.

Matthew Kaopio

Hawaiian Family Album
This lovely small simple book contains eleven stories told by the author’s Tutu or grandmother. She speaks of ‘aumakua, the signs seen in clouds, being saved by an owl, a visit with Pele, and other mystical tales. The stories are accompanied by vivid artwork, mouth painted by the author who was paralyzed in a diving accident in 1994.

MJ Harden

Voices of Wisdom: Hawaiian Elders Speak
Twenty-four contemporary kupuna are interviewed in this beautiful book, accompanied with stunning black and white photographic portraits. They speak movingly of nature, spirituality, healing, history, hula, chant, art, and more.

Sarah Vowell

Unfamiliar Fishes
An overview of Hawaiian history by the New York Times best-selling author, largely from a Hawaiian perspective. Covers Cook’s discovery through the illegal overthrow, with Hawaii 5-0 and Brother Iz thrown in for fun.

Kenneth Emory

Ancient Hawaiian Civilization
This is a collection of lectures given in the 1930s at Kamehameha Schools by some of the great luminaries of Hawaiian history and culture. It covers geology, biology, voyaging, language, religion, food, fishing, and more. Though some of the information is a bit outdated, this is an excellent introductory overview of ancient Hawaiian civilization.

Mary Kawena Pukui

Hawaiian Dictionary
If you really want to learn about the culture, buy the Pukui and Elbert Dictionary—the big one. You will need it for the rest of these books. (The Dictionary can be accessed online at www.wehewehe.org, but it is useful to have the book as well.)

Nana i ke Kumu: Look to the Source, Volumes 1 & 2
These books are very easy to read, written in a conversational style with dialogue and case studies. Covers healing, ho‘oponopono, visions, dreams, mysticism, prayer, telepathy, sexuality—the most complete compendium available about the ancient ways of life. Although written for social workers, they offer insights for any reader. Best to start with Volume 2.

The Polynesian Family System in Ka‘u
Co-written with Handy, this is a fascinating look into the daily lives of the people, as well as much about kahuna.

‘Olelo No‘eau: Hawaiian Proverbs & Poetical Sayings
This book is a collection of wise proverbs and wisdom sayings from ancient to historic times. Each proverb is translated, and then often explained further with some of the kaona (hidden meaning) revealed.

Lucia Tarallo Jensen and Natalie Mahina Jensen

Daughters of Haumea: Women of Ancient Hawai‘i
Written by the mother and daughter of a Hawaiian family, this is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in authentic traditions. Focusing on the goddesses and elder women teachers of ancient Hawai‘i, it is organized around the different areas of women’s work, including chapters on the Oracle, Martial Art Exponent, Fishing Experts, Agriculturalist, Obstetrician, Physiotherapist (lomilomi), Tattoo Artist, Hula Dancer, Women Skilled in the Art of Love, and more.

Patrick Ka‘ano‘i

The Need for Hawai‘i—A Guide to Hawaiian Cultural and Kahuna Values
This small gem of a book is a wonderful introduction to Hawaiian values. It covers spirituality, aloha, ‘ohana, ho‘oponopono, and excellence (maika‘i). It explores a value rarely discussed today, pa‘ahana, or hard work and industriousness.

Kamalamalama—the Light of Knowledge
This book has much wisdom that is documented nowhere else. It covers the Kumulipo, kaona, mana, aloha, the stars, the drum, heiau or temples, ‘aumakua, and much, much more. He gives the meaning of the sacred sounds in the names of the gods, Ku, Kane, Lono, and Kanaloa. Each god name has a different vowel sound, and each sound has meaning. This teaching is very significant. Also important is the work on astronomy.

Moke Kupihea

Seven Dawns of the ‘Aumakua: The Ancestral Spirit Tradition of Hawai‘i (originally issued as Kahuna of Light: The World of Hawaiian Spirituality)
Moke Kupihea is a Hawaiian who grew up on the island of Kaua‘i at a time when it still truly was the Garden Island. This book contains fascinating stories of his childhood and young adulthood spent with kupuna. He describes in vivid detail his treks through Waimea and beyond. His narratives of his long journeys help us begin to understand that the way Hawaiians think about land and spirituality is fundamentally different than the way they are thought of in Western civilization. His spirituality springs from a closeness to the land few of us can ever hope to have. The land is almost literally his mother, his nurturer, his guardian. He describes mystical experiences that even in the re-telling give the reader chicken skin.

The Cry of the Huna: The Ancestral Voices of Hawai‘i
This book is also autobiographical. It is a wild and mystical story about a visit to Kamehameha’s birthplace of Mo‘okini. It is definitely not a Huna book.

June Gutmanis

Kahuna La‘au Lapa‘au: Hawaiian Herbal Medicine
A wonderful book about the healing kahuna. Written in a story form but with footnotes to sources for more reading. Also has an excellent example from Theodore Kelsey of the explanation of the kaona or hidden meaning of a healing prayer.

Na Pule Kahiko: Ancient Hawaiian Prayers
Prayers for every occasion, with a good overview of the kapu system and religion.

Michael Kioni Dudley

Man, Gods, and Nature
A short book with religious practices and beliefs, mostly focused on the time of the kapu system.

Traditional Classics

If you seek deep knowledge of the traditions, read these classics:

David Malo (Chun translation)—Hawaiian Antiquities
Samuel Kamakau—The People of Old, The Works of the People of Old, Tales and Traditions of the People of Old
John Papa ‘I‘i—Fragments of Hawaiian History
Kepelino (Beckwith, trans)—Kepelino’s Traditions of Hawai‘i
Handy—Polynesian Religion
George Kanahele—Ku Kanaka: Stand Tall, a search for Hawaiian values
Rubellite Kawena Johnson –The Kumulipo

New Classics

New books are being released by Hawaiians about Hawaiians that are destined to become classics. A few of these are:

Lele Kawa: Fire Rituals of Pele, by Taupouri Tangaro (Kamehameha, 2009)
   Ritual chants to Pele, reinterpreted by a modern Hawaiian trained in the tradition, leading to heightened awareness of our proximity to the sacred.

Ka Honua Ola, ‘Eli‘eli Kau Mai: the Living Earth, Descend, Deepen the Revelation, by Dr. Pualani Kanaka‘ole Kanahele (Kamehameha, 2011)
   The author was born in Keaukaha, Hawai'i and is of pure Hawaiian descent. She was raised in a hula tradition that spans many generations and is responsible to her ancestral and matrilineal lineage. Dr. Kanahele knows the forests, mountains, volcanoes, and oceans of her homeland. She and her sister, Nalani, lead Halau o Kekuhi, a world-renowned Hawaiian cultural dance group known for its 'ai ha'a style of hula Pele.

Kuni Ola: Countering Sorcery and Its Roots to Forgiveness, by Malcolm Naea Chun (First Peoples Productions, 2011)
   Tracing back from Kahuna Daddy Bray in the 1950s, this book chronicles how sorcery was countered in traditional and modern times, and its relation to ho‘oponopono, the Hawaiian forgiveness and reconciliation process.

No Na Mamo: Traditional and Contemporary Hawaiian Beliefs and Practices by Malcolm Naea Chun
Combines the best traditional sources with contemporary analysis for insightful treatment of these concepts: pono, aloha, welina, a‘o, ola, ho‘oponopono, ho‘omana, alaka‘i, olelo, ho‘onohonoho, kapu, and hewa.

Mythologies

University of Hawai‘i Professor Puakea Nogelmeier, translator of The Epic Tale of Hi‘iakaikapoliopele, says that Hawaiians hid much of their wisdom in the chants and stories of their myths and legends. Martha Beckwith’s Hawaiian Mythology explains some of their meaning and kaona.

Political Analysis

These articles are recommended for their political analysis of the plastic shaman or Huna phenomena.

Lisa Kahaleole Hall, Ph.D., “‘Hawaiian at Heart’ and Other Fictions” (2005)

Andy Smith, “For All Those Who Were Indian in a Former Life” (1991)

Lisa Aldred, “Plastic Shamans and Astroturf Sun Dances: New Age Commercialization of Native American Spirituality”(2000)

Christopher Ron Jocks, “Spirituality for sale: Sacred knowledge in the consumer age,” American Indian Quarterly, Summer/Fall96, Vol. 20 Issue 3/4, p415
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:30:52 pm by Pono Aloha »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:59 am »
Thanks Pono, this is very useful information. For me, my first brush with "huna" was from a white woman that was a friend of a friend. I never did like this woman, there was something off about her from the getgo. She was hanging around trying to learn "Indian religion" from someone I knew. And she was very obviously uncomfortable around brown skinned people. One friend said, oh, no, she likes native people she is studying huna. So I asked what that was and they said it was ancient secrets disclosed by Max Freedom Long. Hmmm. Ancient secrets as told by a white guy. Then I heard she paid $10,000 for a week long "retreat"! Ok, then I knew this couldn't be legit. Another friend was talking to a massage therapist who was familiar with Hawaii and she said that most of the Native Hawaiians she met laughed about the dumb people learning huna. I feel I was lucky to get clued in so quickly. So many people would just accept it as "true". Oh, and I was right about that woman not liking brown skinned people. She referred to a Nex Perce/Cherokee friend of mine with a rude racist word when she thought no Indians would find out. I was asking why she would want to learn from brown skinned people when it hit me: It was for the $$$$.

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:23 am »
Yes, Huna is about $$$$$. For more info on Huna, see the thread here http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3838.0

Offline seapup

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 03:11:09 am »
Hew Len and Joe Vitale have been mentioned in some threads on alleged Hawaiian spiritual teachings. I was wondering if anyone has info on the so called founder of the organization Hew Len says he learned Hooponopono from: http://hooponopono.org/
Her name is Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona, a "kahuna lapa'au" (keeper of healing knowledge) and I wonder if she has any Hawaiian blood as many people have been given Hawaiian middle names but aren't Hawaiian. The SITH (R) teachings are said to have based on her teachings but note they also say "updated" process so to me this is a clue it's not authentic Hawaiian practice and following is a copy of their claims from the website:

Self I-Dentity through Ho’oponopono® (SITH®) is an updated Hawaiian problem solving process
to release memories that are experienced as problems. SITH® was created and developed
by Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona, a Hawaiian Kahuna Lapa’au. She was recognized by the State
of Hawaii as a Living Treasure in 1983.

The purposes of the corporation are (i) to preserve and promote, as well as maintain the integrity
of, the spiritual teachings of Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona; (ii) to teach instructors how to teach
the SITH® process so that those instructors can teach others how to achieve their self-realization
through the SITH® process and to teach co-coordinators how to organize and conduct
SITH® conferences for those that wish to study Ho’oponopono; and (iii) to obtain and maintain
a facility for the storage of the teachings of Ms. Simeona and for conferences and meetings regarding SITH®.

Offline seapup

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 04:04:25 am »
I answered my own question. I did a search and lo and behold Simeona was on Wikipedia. It makes it plain she decided to modify and blend Hawaiian teachings with a lot of other teachings and promoted her own brand of so called Hawaiian teachings. Sorry, but to me if you modify it to the extent she did you shouldn't claim to be teaching Hawaiian healing or lapa'au. It's fine if you want to call it your own, but don't make it out to be Hawaiian and it seems to me she capitalized heavily on her ethnicity and now Hew Len is carrying on the capitalism. Note the Living Treasure thing is from the Japanese mission not any State of Hawaiian Nation recognition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrnah_Simeona

Morrnah was born May 19, 1913, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Kimokeo and Lilia Simeona, both native Hawaiians.[1] Her mother, Lilia, was one of the last recognized kahuna la?au kahea or priest who heals with words.[2] Morrnah was a practitioner of lomilomi massage and for 10 years owned and operated health spas at the Kahala Hilton and Royal Hawaiian hotels.[3] Among her massage clients at the Hilton spa were Lyndon B. Johnson, Jackie Kennedy and Arnold Palmer.[4] In 1983, she was recognized as a kahuna lapa?au (healer) and honored as a "Living Treasure of Hawai'i" by the Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawai'i.[5]

In 1976 she began to modify the traditional Hawaiian forgiveness and reconciliation process of ho?oponopono to the realities of the modern day. Her version of ho?oponopono was influenced by her Christian (Protestant and Catholic) education and her philosophical studies about India, China and Edgar Cayce. The combination of Hawaiian traditions, praying to the Divine Creator, and connecting problems with Reincarnation and Karma resulted in a unique new problem solving process, that was self-help rather than the traditional Hawaiian group process. She had no qualms about adapting traditional concepts to contemporary applications, though she was criticized by some Hawaiian purists. "Her system uses ho?oponopono techniques to create a working partnership among the three parts of the mind or self, which she calls by Hawaiian names, as well as by the terms subconscious, conscious and superconscious."[6]

She presented trainings and lectures on ho?oponopono to the United Nations,[7] in nearly a dozen states in the U.S., and in more than 14 countries, among them Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, France, Russia and Japan.[8] She presented to schools of higher learning, such as the University of Hawai?i and Johns Hopkins University, to medical facilities, religious institutions and business organizations. In 1982 she organized the First World Symposium of Identity of Man.[9] A reporter noted: "There was something very calming and soothing about Simeona's presence and her voice, a sense of serenity about her, as she talks about teaching people how to relieve stress and attain peace of mind."[6]

To spread her ho?oponopono process, she founded Pacifica Seminars in the 1970s and in 1980 The Foundation of ‘I’, Inc. (Freedom of the Cosmos). In 1990, she started Pacifica Seminars in Germany. Simeona wrote three textbooks Self-Identity through Ho?oponopono, Basic 1 (128 pg), Basic 2 (to use after two years of practicing) and Basic 3 (to use after five years). The recommended waiting times for Basic 2 and 3 was for developing deep respect for the "Divine presence." In 1990, the English original of Basic 1, 8th edition, was officially translated and printed in German and French.[10][11]

In late fall 1990, her last journey for lectures and seminars took her through Europe to Jerusalem. On January 16, 1991, she came back to Germany, where she lived quietly at a friend's house in Kirchheim, near Munich, until her death on February 11, 1992.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:28 am »
Hard to find titles are often available at www.nativebookshawaii.com

That site is now about "useful points … as you prepare to write your PhD dissertation". On the front page there is also a link to an essay mill where you pay to have your academic papers written for you. Academic fraud, in other words.

Seems this site is where you now find Native books (and other items) from Hawaii:

https://www.facebook.com/nativebookshawaii/
http://www.nameahawaii.com/
https://www.nameahawaii.com/product-category/books/