Author Topic: Shaman conference/Alan Shoemaker/Soga de Alma  (Read 39435 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Shaman conference/Alan Shoemaker/Soga de Alma
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »
labbit, please go to the member introductions area and introduce yourself. I suggest you then read the sections marked for the attention of new members. I think you need to know a bit more about our community here before you will understand why we say the things we say about the people reported here. Thanks.

Done. Having done so, I stand by my post. I think I have a sufficient understanding of this site and its purpose. I also think some of the comments from educatedindian clearly violate the agreement outlined in the Disclaimer post.

I support the mission and spirit of this site... what I don't support is taking it so far that rather than ameliorating harm, new harm is caused. I consider harming the reputation of authentic healers who live lives of service to be stepping over the line.

As a Native woman we are taught that a woman does not not as a holy person until
after she goes though Menspause so if a young woman is claiming she was taught
at a youngb age then I would know right away it was a lie

o.O Because there's only one thing called Native, and it's all the same? Isn't that kind of conflation and flattening of different cultures into one stereotype exactly the kind of attitude westerners typically take toward indigenous peoples, and exactly the kind of thing this site is here to oppose?

I speak only for my people I am Ihuntonwana, Pabaska and Sisseton Dakota and Hunkpapa, Sihasapa and Oglala Lakota and it is our way that women do
not use medicine until they stop bleeding and I dont know of a tribe that allows a woman who is bleeding to be apart of ceremonies unless it is a newage
thing. I use the general term of Native because I am native to this land I am not a mixed blood I am Native. I live among my people on my land.
I live my culture everyday.
In Spirit

Offline labbit

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:27 pm »
Educatedindian:

I did not say you said anything libelous or abusive. The waiver also covers material that is "false, defamatory, [or] inaccurate".

I'm also not saying everything in your post is such. I'm saying that specific parts that I called out in my post are, and that given these specifics and the general tone of your comments one must wonder what else you got wrong in your seeming eagerness to condemn anyone and everyone connected with Alan's conference.

This is not, however, about Alan. I'm not here to argue Alan's curation choices, whether he included people he shouldn't have, or whether he should be running his event at all. That's all besides the point.

The point being that you are making claims that some people are not qualified to be doing the work they're doing, based on little more than a short description of them you read on the internet and, it seems, a lot of assumptions about cultures and traditions you don't seem to know much about, judging from what you've written.

And because this forum positions itself as having some sort of authority, even moral authority, to do that, your posts here have the potential to damage the reputations of the people you write about. Given that, I would think a higher standard of carefulness should be brought to bear than you seem to demonstrate.

The waiver also provides that "members [will] make every effort to confirm the validity" of what they write. What efforts have you made to confirm the validity of your opinions? From here, as someone actually connected to some of the people in question, some of your opinions look rather knee-jerk and based more on assumptions than facts.

So much of your post felt attacking (to the point of absurdity) that I'm hard pressed to want to respond, but I will for completeness:
- When did you start thinking that I "seriously think licking toads is enough to make one a genuine healer"? What in my post possibly leads to such an absurd conclusion?
- Why would I think Teafaerie is a healer when she does not put herself out that way?
- Adela is well known in Iquitos as a teacher of maestros. It's going to take more than demonstrating your lack of understanding of ayahuasca to "call BS" on her. Many children in the Amazon are given ayahuasca, often from before birth. While I can't imagine an 11 year old conducting a ceremony, I can certainly imagine one partaking in them and beginning to learn about their elder's traditions. There are younger such kids I know of, although I have not sat with them myself.
- It's definitely NOT that "if a white businessman comes down to the Amazon and slaps claims of being shamanic or pseudo Native trappings on it and [I'll] apparently believe almost anything he says." Nowhere did I defend Alan or dismiss your entire post. The issue IS however that if a white businessman comes down to the Amazon and does what Alan has done, you apparently won't believe *anything* he says. I love the quote, "Nobody is smart enough to be wrong all of the time." That applies both to Alan and to you. My issue isn't that you're all wrong, it's that you're not as right as you think you are, and that in your efforts to see frauds taken down your errors could have negative consequences for people who don't deserve them.

You say, "Seemingly the only thing you seem to have trouble believing is that Natives know Native traditions, since you're rather arrogantly lecturing us on what is real and what isn't."

You seem to be making the same argument as earthw7, and you both seem to be saying that a person rooted in an indigenous background automatically has some kind of knowledge of any and all other indigenous traditions, and that this gives them the authority to tell other people what is and is not so about far away cultures they are in no way related to. Please tell me if I have misunderstood you... because if this forum supports such a fallacy, it's definitely not the kind of place I thought it was.

Offline labbit

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 11:50:14 pm »
labbit, please go to the member introductions area and introduce yourself. I suggest you then read the sections marked for the attention of new members. I think you need to know a bit more about our community here before you will understand why we say the things we say about the people reported here. Thanks.

Done. Having done so, I stand by my post. I think I have a sufficient understanding of this site and its purpose. I also think some of the comments from educatedindian clearly violate the agreement outlined in the Disclaimer post.

I support the mission and spirit of this site... what I don't support is taking it so far that rather than ameliorating harm, new harm is caused. I consider harming the reputation of authentic healers who live lives of service to be stepping over the line.

As a Native woman we are taught that a woman does not not as a holy person until
after she goes though Menspause so if a young woman is claiming she was taught
at a youngb age then I would know right away it was a lie

o.O Because there's only one thing called Native, and it's all the same? Isn't that kind of conflation and flattening of different cultures into one stereotype exactly the kind of attitude westerners typically take toward indigenous peoples, and exactly the kind of thing this site is here to oppose?

I speak only for my people I am Ihuntonwana, Pabaska and Sisseton Dakota and Hunkpapa, Sihasapa and Oglala Lakota and it is our way that women do
not use medicine until they stop bleeding and I dont know of a tribe that allows a woman who is bleeding to be apart of ceremonies unless it is a newage
thing. I use the general term of Native because I am native to this land I am not a mixed blood I am Native. I live among my people on my land.
I live my culture everyday.

Thanks for clarifying. The woman in question is not part of any of those tribes. She is based in Peru. Different Peruvian traditions have different approaches to these issues.

I don't see how anything about your background gives you any basis to assess the claim that a female healer started working with ayahuasca from age 11. Please say more if I have missed or misunderstood something.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »

1. The waiver also covers material that is "false, defamatory, [or] inaccurate".

2. This is not, however, about Alan. I'm not here to argue Alan's curation choices, whether he included people he shouldn't have, or whether he should be running his event at all. That's all besides the point.

3. The point being that you are making claims that some people are not qualified to be doing the work they're doing, based on little more than a short description of them you read on the internet and, it seems, a lot of assumptions about cultures and traditions you don't seem to know much about...

4...What efforts have you made to confirm the validity of your opinions?

5. When did you start thinking that I "seriously think licking toads is enough to make one a genuine healer"?...Why would I think Teafaerie is a healer when she does not put herself out that way?

6. ...Many children in the Amazon are given ayahuasca, often from before birth. While I can't imagine an 11 year old conducting a ceremony, I can certainly imagine one partaking in them and beginning to learn about their elder's traditions.

7. It's definitely NOT that "if a white businessman comes down to the Amazon and slaps claims of being shamanic or pseudo Native trappings on it and [I'll] apparently believe almost anything he says." Nowhere did I defend Alan or dismiss your entire post.

8. You seem to be making the same argument as earthw7, and you both seem to be saying that a person rooted in an indigenous background automatically has some kind of knowledge of any and all other indigenous traditions, and that this gives them the authority to tell other people what is and is not so about far away cultures they are in no way related to.

1. It's not a "waiver".
The difference between libel and defamatory is not great.
If there's any falsehoods, show them.
We always take great care to avoid them. That's why we get used as a resource by tribal govts, academia, museums,, activists, and many others.

2. Actually you said repeatedly it was. Now you back away from that once his behavior is shown as childish and unethical, and that he engaged one crackpot after another as "experts" in what he called a conference.

Far from being "beside the point" that's the entire subject of the thread. If you want another topic you should start another thread.

3. You really should look up "projection" in a psychology book because that's what you are doing repeatedly.
You also should read Who We Are  and our intro threads before you start making unfounded assumptions.
(Incidentally you also had to be prodded to introduce yourself. Seemingly you haven't been around Natives before to know that you should do so.)

We've been around a decade and a half, thousands of members, including some very dedicated researchers who seek out every available source. I've been in academia almost as long, and Earth has been in tribal govt for some time also. I'm a professor in both American Indian and Latin American history. My first book was a comparative study across both regions, partly about Native ceremonies.

I think that gives us more than a little more knowledge than a non-Native woman who has gone to a commercial ceremony seller such as yourself.

You seem to have this ludicrous notion, with some racist notions about primitivism embedded in you, that every NDN tribe lives in its own bubble and has no knowledge of others. Tribes and activists and academia routinely network across internatl boundaries and have extensive contact and knowledge of each other. You should at least try reading about it.

For example, I've lost track of how many times I've seen Aztec dancers and Quechua arts and crafts at North American powwows. I've taught Choctaw and Navajo students alongside Quechua ones.

4. I really need an emoticon for big frustrated sigh here...

Try reading the thread instead of making us repeat ourselves. Don't expect us to do all the work for you.
Incidentally, why do you think Shoemaker (who you know well enough to call Alan) absolutely refuses to provide any evidence or anything whatsoever?
Oh, I forgot you claim this thread about him somehow isn't really about him.

5. What does it take to get you to actually read the thread?

You claim we are harming "genuine healers." The toad licker and teafairie are presented as "experts" by your man-whom-this-thread-is-not-about-in-spite-of-his-name-on-the-thread-title, plus his own appearance in said thread, plus literally every last post here being about him.

7. You entirely sidestep the issue of you claiming she started training at 11. You instead claim children take mind altering drugs *even before birth*.

Ignoring the logical absurdity that makes you sound like the most fanatic anti abortion fundamentalist, it's pretty well known that genuine aya healers have issues with its commercialization, its being handed out to naive tourists like a party favor, its abuse by said tourist market, its frequent impure forms being handed out to said tourists.

All of this you would know if you were as expert as you claim. Guess what, you'd also know that if you'd actually read even the briefest bit of the forum as you make the unlikely claim of having already done.

8. There's so much ignorance of Native traditions in what you've already said it's hard to know where to begin.

Try this analogy. If someone were Greek, one would clearly see they had a basic understanding of European culture and the western mindset. No one would make the absurd claim that there's no way a Greek could know anything about English culture, history, spiritual traditions, etc.

Yet that's exactly what you're doing. Instead what you claim is the absurd equivalent of a non-European tourist claiming they know much more of English culture than the Greek possibly could, simply because they've been a tourist in England, and while there paid a tour company run by non-Europeans who sold them a commercialized version of what they said was a Church of England baptism.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 06:09:03 pm »
One of Shoemaker's site is listed as "hacked by hmei7."

Another gets an internal error.

I'm guessing by the hacking there was a very angry former client or friend or relative of one.

There are also a number of links online variously accusing him of being involved in cocaine smuggling and even tied to murders. I certainly doubt the last one, but clearly Shoemaker has done something to enrage someone.

labbit, what is your take on the hacking and the others Shoemaker has angered a great deal?

There's also a dissertation discussing Shoemaker's commercialization of ceremony.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/82212567/Spirituality-for-Sale-An-Analysis-of-Ayahuasca-Tourism

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »
Shoemaker publicly accused of exploitation, abuse of the local population, exposing them to disease, destroying their livelihood, plus commercialization of ceremony.

---------
http://www.practiceofmadness.com/2010/08/letters-complaint-art-deserve-human-letter-8-dear-alan-shoemaker/
So, “Mr. Shoemaker”, I hope you feel honoured that my most recent letter is dedicated to you!  …in addition to other white, American, businessmen (I did not encounter any women taking part) who exploit the impoverished community that comprises most of the population of Peru, in the most disrespectful fashion I can fathom – by commercializing Shamanism and doing nothing in turn for members of the local communities they “employ”.

The letter I wrote around this time last summer was published in Harper’s Magazine, so you never know, maybe a little social capital will be added to your sum of financial capital.  Any press is good press, no?

Without Further Ado, My Complaint to a Foreigner in Peru:

Greetings Mr. Shoemaker,

Do you think any serious scholar, ethnographer, or seeker of social justice across borders, is going to take your accusations seriously?  Those of a wealthy, white, American entrepreneur who is exploiting the peoples of Peru, and contributing to the new phenomenon of drug tourism/drug voyeurism, which is painting the sacred medicines of ancient and, I would argue, more evolved cultures than those of North America, as the a new “high”?  You are making ridiculously huge profits off the exploitation of Native Peruvians that reminds me of the goings on at the “Picadilly Circus” in London in the 1600s. In case you are not familiar with this famous “zoo” of sorts, it displayed Natives of Africa and Indonesia, etc. living in exhibits that mirrored their “natural environment”, and wealthy Europeans were allowed the luxury of “amusement” watching naked African women nurse babies, men with unusual body modifications/piercings conducting  what Europeans thought of as “primitive witchcraft”, and the place where Sarah/Saartje Baartman was housed against her will, so that tourists could examine and touch her large buttocks.  It is unfortunate that you were not alive then, as your presence would have been much more appreciated, and not the topic of one critical academic paper which should be the least of your worries – I’m sure there will be many more that are not written to fulfill the requirements of a graduate seminar, but that are published in academic journals.  By typing your name into an Internet search engine, i understand you are also facing trouble with the American government.

Under the guise of “bringing the magic of Ayahuasca” to “Westerners”, you are destroying one of the last self-sufficient, hunter-gatherer, traditional and, in so being, advanced, that remains cultures on the planet.  Your “tours” have exposed the members of these communities to respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases that they are unfamiliar with, and thus have no cure for.  The ridiculously high price of your tours, the extent of which I would not have realized had I not come to Peru and Iquitos and become aware of average accommodation and food costs (equivalent to about ten USD and two USD, respectively), are going in your pockets, Mr. Shoemaker – you could contribute even a small amount of this money to impoverished populations – the majority of Peru’s populace – such as those that lay a hop, skip and a jump away from your palatial residence, but instead you laugh with your buddy, sitting at “The Yellow Rose of Texas”, where girls that appear to be between ten and thirteen years old are forced to wear skirts that reveal their buttocks, and physical punishment or slave labour is a punishment when the entrepreneur who owns that business “doesn’t think they’re working hard enough”.  These girls seemed terrified as they rushedly took down our orders, and I am ashamed that Ms. Murphy insisted I eat at the establishment.

In Mexico, there are laws against individuals such as yourself – tourism profits go back to the state of Mexico (albeit I’m sure corruption is involved to some degree, it is still incredibly more conducive to putting some of the money made from the tourist industry back in the hands of the people that were born in that country).  Throughout Latin/Southern America there are different policies in place to protect the citizenry of particular states from exploitation by entrepreneurs in the realm of tourism like yourself and “Carlos Tanner”, a self-proclaimed guru who used to work for High Times magazine – great credentials, no doubt.  In Peru, deep in the Amazon Jungle, you have found a place where you can recruit tourists, who like you, are wealthy, to “get high”, in order to increase your own wealth substantialy.  If you actually think that anywhere near the majority of your clientele are looking for a spiritual experience, you are deluding yourself.

As soon as I arrived in Iquitos, my stomach churned as three year-old girls pawed at my arms for change, while I and my travel companions, including Colleen Murphy – an absolutely mentally unstable woman who fancies herself some kind of sorceress, and takes advantage of Peruvian men, treating them like hired help rather than respectable, equal individuals; and whom caused me to need emergency surgery two months before scheduled when she fed me what I later found out was Imodium for e-coli poisoning (i.e. an anti-emetic rather than an emetic), causing the bacteria to be trapped in my bowels, to the point where it caused an impaction and infection, in addition to my existing reproductive illnesses that she imagined could be cured with San Pedro Cactus and Cocaine (“it’s really cheap and pure here,” she excitedly told me”…wow, another great industry that is no doubt helping the peoples of Peru) rather than surgery, and accusing me of being a “drug addict” because I was taking codeine (the least strong opiate painkiller in existence) to suppress the pain before my surgery date.  When I arrived back in Canada, I had to trade my codeine for hydromorphone (a painkiller three times stronger than heroin) because of the damage caused to my body by all of this mayhem – returned every night to the luxurious Casa Fitzcarraldo.  The workers there were afraid to accept tips – I don’t even want to think about what punishment this could result in by their wealthy, American, old, while boss.

As I previously stated, If you think you are demonstrating the healing powers of Ayahuasca you are dreadfully mistaken (although I doubt this is a case, you’re a smart man, aren’t you?), as all other tourists I met during my stay – primarily from Australia, Canada, and the United States – simply wanted to experience a “high” like no other.

As I state in the conclusion of my ethnography on my journey through the country in which you reside, but are not a citizen of, wealthy entrepreneurs and tourists need not exploit Native Peruvians to use Ayahuasca, or take people on “trips” if that is what you wish to do with your life.  The ingredients are available locally, here on the west coast of Canada, and otherwise can be shipped around the world by online businesses.  Oh, wait – then you would make a fraction of the money you do in Peru, because you couldn’t mark up costs of buses and places of shelter and food by percentiles in the thousands!

I think that you and your colleagues, and Ms. Murphy, to whatever degree she is involved, are absolutely despicable, and your attempt with the help of a man charged with abusing me with a weapon seeking revenge for being charged by the Canadian Crown, to discredit my work, have renewed my interest in exposing your help in creating the industry of drug tourism/voyeurism, which seems, by what I observed in Iquitos, to go hand in hand with sex tourism and the abuse of local women – a practice I’m sure you’re “well-versed” in.  I will utilize my connections to members of the media (ex/ magazine/newspaper editors) to make the North American population much more aware of your role in the deaths of Peruvians (via diseases brought from overseas) and your role in the cultural genocide of a precious ancient culture that demonstrates many of the key values that allow a society to be cohesive and collectivist, rather than anomic and individualist – a virus called “neo-liberalism” that has invaded North American and Western social orders, and which is demonstrated perfectly by your laissez-faire and monstrously greedy business practices.

I must thank-you, however, for being the tipping point that made me decide to change my career path.  Rather than sit on an ivory hill and be threatened with “charges” for speaking out about exploitation and marginalization in papers that will only be read by other academics, I have decided to go to law school instead, and, on the side, write for the people on a freelance basis.

Sincerely,
J. Reimer. B.A.(hons.)

Epiphany

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:39 am »
Some of the links earlier in thread no longer work, here is one link from 2010 with his bio revived through the way back machine:

Alan Shoemaker

Alan was born in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a pre-law major, focusing on psychology, criminology and theatre arts. He was the receipent of a National Endowment for the Arts grant as Artist-In-Residence and placed in Buchannon County, Virginia for one year. Here he also taught 35mm photography, black and white darkroom techniques and acting. Alan moved to Seattle, Washingon and worked as a child psychologist for several while becoming involved in mountaineering and rock climbing, inventing a new powder for keeping your hands dry and not leaving marks on the cliffs.

He represented several hi-tec mountaineering and backpacking companies in the Pac-NW and became a distributor in the United States of a line of rock climbing shoes known as Vertical Footwear which he also helped design in Italy. He was the co-founder and co-artistic director of Sanctuary Theatre Group in Seattle, a professional theatre company. Fifteen years ago, he had a spiritual calling to come to the Amazon to study shamanism and listened to that, leaving the USA by land via Mexico and Central America, finally being led to his first teacher, Dr. Valentin Hampjes outside of Quito, Ecuador. The Putamayo river and a 15 meter dugout canoe for 2,500 kilometers brought Alan to Iquitos where he began his next apprenticeships with varioius maestro cuarnderos.

He has lectured on curanderismo all over the United States and Europe and has been published in Shamans Drum, Journal for Peace and Humanities, Magical Blend, etc. as well as having been a featured presenter in Conferences. Alan founded SogaDel Alma (Vine of the Soul) seven years ago and recently finished building their second chapel on the Rio Itaya just outside Iquitos, Peru.

-------
Photo from an interview http://www.realitysandwich.com/ayahuasca_talk_alan_shoemaker

Epiphany

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 04:16:40 am »
From the Alan Shoemaker Ayahuasca Defense Fund, several years ago:

At issue is the prosecution of Alan Shoemaker, an US ex-pat who, until last April 1, has been living in the jungle city of Iquitos, Peru since 1993. During the past 10 years Shoemaker has been a student of the sacred medicine, ayahuasca, and during the past five he's been working with a plant-based diabetes II medicine as well. He is married to a Peruvian woman, and is the father of two children with her.

In 1998, Shoemaker's wife, Mariella Noriega, started Chinchilejo (Dragonfly) a plant material export business. Among the plants she exported were Banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca vine) and Diplopterys cabrerana (huambisa leaves), the vine and one of the typical leaves used to make ayahuasca.

Mariella was not the first nor only Peruvian export firm to deal with these plants, but on January 29, 2001, her company, Chinchilejo, became the only Peruvian export company to ever have a shipment of these plants seized.

The DEA followed the shipment from its point of entry to its delivery to Shoemaker's adult son, Jesse Brock, who was starting a plant material wholesale business in the states. The plants, 200 kilos of ayahuasca vine and 250 kilos of huambisa leaves -- 450 kilos altogether -- were seized on the grounds that the leaves contained traces of DMT.

The seizure was extremely unusual as the plants were legal to export from Peru and had never been declared illegal here in the US. The shipment had been exported with all the necessary Peruvian and international paperwork completed.

No arrests were made at the time, but on April 1, when Shoemaker flew from Iquitos to Miami to see his dying mother, he was picked up at Miami International Airport and told a sealed indictment had been handed down on January 24, 2002, charging him with possession with intent to distribute a Schedule 1 substance, DMT.

The charge carries 20 years in federal prison. His son Jesse immediately turned himself into authorities in Atlanta.

Alan Shoemaker was held in prison for 59 days and released on a $50,000 cash bond with the stipulation that he wear an ankle bracelet and remain at his late mother's home in Tennessee until the case is concluded. He cannot bring his wife and children to the states for fear that she will be arrested as well.
---------
On Facebook he is "Shoemaker Alan"

No degree in psychology listed there, instead he says he studied psychology, law, theater at University of Kentucky
------

Alan was born in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a pre-law major, focusing on psychology, criminology and theatre arts.

http://www.soga-del-alma.org/2013/component/k2/item/5-alan-shoemaker
--------
Many of us might think that when he says he worked as a "child psychologist" he is saying he has a degree in psychology, at least MA, if not PhD or PsyD. Doesn't look to be the case.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
DEA and bounty hunter pages on Alan Shoemaker.
-----
http://www.dea.gov/fugitives/atl/42A901D0-A090-4DFA-8A94-4D06346AFA5A.shtml
http://bountyhunterapp.com/?database_id=2&page=12&suspect_id=1600
FUGITIVE NCIC #:  W524381235 
WANTED FOR:  The following alleged Federal Drug Violations: •Possession of a Hallucinogen (MDMA)

JURISDICTION: Northern District of Georgia
AKA: "ALAN SMITH"
RACE: White
SEX: Male
HEIGHT: 6'-0"
WEIGHT: 170 lbs.
HAIR: Brown
EYES: Green
YOB: 1953
POB: Kentucky
LAST KNOWN ADDRESS: Iquitos, Peru
NOTE:  Do not attempt to apprehend this individual.

Call the U.S. Marshals Service 24-hour number 1-877-WANTED2 (1-877-926-8332),
 Tip line: usms.wanted@usdoj.gov, or the nearest DEA office with information.

Rewards are available at the discretion of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 04:49:33 am »
If this is the same person (name and age matches), seems he has been 'apprehended' by now?

Alan Thomas Shoemaker
Inmate ID #68483-004
Gender Male    Age 64
Inmate Located at: IN TRANSIT
Facility Location: , District of Columbia
[…]
Alan Shoemaker is an inmate currently at the IN TRANSIT, located in , DC. The visitation hours are limited by the security level of the facility, please call to get the latest updates as they change without notice. If you are going to be speaking with inmate Shoemaker, you will need to open a - Advanced Pay account. Depending on your phone number, and your calling habits you might want to look into the InmateAid Discount Phone service as a cost-saving measure.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:56 am »
---------

No degree in psychology listed there, instead he says he studied psychology, law, theater at University of Kentucky
------
Alan was born in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a pre-law major, focusing on psychology, criminology and theatre arts.

Strange (considering my previous post)! This profile is active up to this day, with the following introduction:

Shoemaker Alan — 1,711 Followers
Intro
Founding Director/Host at International Amazonian Shamanism Conference founder.
Self-employed
Studied Acting, Criminology at Birkbeck, University of London
Went to Harlan High School
Manages Ayahuasca Medicine House

Link to 'Ayahuasca Medicine House': https://www.facebook.com/ayahuascahouse/

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
DEA page on him doesn't show any change.
Bounty hunter page is down.
His FB is not available when I try it.
The med house hasn't been posting since August.

Piff

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 06:18:05 pm »
I think that this https://www.inmateaid.com/inmate-profiles/alan-shoemaker might be old information, not current. This site is not a government site.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons site he is not in federal custody.

ALAN THOMAS SHOEMAKER
Register Number: 68483-004
Race:    White
Sex:    Male
NOT IN BOP CUSTODY
Release Date: UNKNOWN

https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

Maybe he is in custody of another jurisdiction? But since the DEA wants him, I would expect him to be federally listed soon, and DEA Wanted page taken down.

I don't see any buzz about a recent arrest on the ayahuasca.com forums - I'd expect to, as they follow relevant legal issues closely. They do have other discussions of him.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 06:44:45 pm »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:47:59 pm by not_ur_spirit_animal »

Offline Sparks

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 01:15:10 am »
https://www.facebook.com/alan.shoemaker1

His FB is not available when I try it.

Most likely, then, he has blocked you. I have checked the profile several times the last couple of days, it's always there, and his last public post right now is less than one hour old. So I guess he is still in Peru (unless someone else posts in his name), and not at all apprehended and in federal custody in the U.S.