Author Topic: He Who Knows  (Read 17180 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
He Who Knows
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:01:29 pm »
Got the following email sent to me, promoting a European tour with a Lakota Elder.

Maybe someone (Ingeborg?) in Germany could translate it?

I don´t see anything about ceremonies, so this might just be an Elder talking about his culture.
Any more info? Is he who he says he is?

Hallo,
der 81jährige Lakota Elder He Who Knows wird im März Europa besuchen. Hätten Sie Interesse an eine Veranstaltung mit ihm zu organisieren? Folgend noch weitere Informationen über He Who Knows.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
lakota indianer
Der traditionelle Oglala Sioux (Lakota) EYE TUWE SLO WAYA - HE WHO KNOWS - ER, DER ES WEIß, wurde im Jahre 1928  auf Pine Ridge geboren.
He Who Knows stammt aus einer alten Lakotafamilie, seine Vorfahren väterlicherseits stammen aus der Familie von Crazy Horse und Sitting Bull und kämpften mit bei der Schlacht am Little Big Horn. Seine Mutter war Cherokee aus der Reservation in Carolina.

Als He Who Knows 15 Jahre alt war nahm ihn ein Cherokeefreund aus Carolina mit zum Rodeo. Dort verdiente er die ersten 5 Dollar seines Lebens. Nie zuvor sah er soviel Geld. Er entschied sich beim Rodeo zu bleiben und wurde professioneller Rodeoreiter und arbeitete als Indianercowboy auf verschiedenen Ranchen. Bis zu seinem fünfzigsten Lebensjahr bestritt er Rodeos.

Im Oktober 2008 war He Who Knows das erste Mal in Europa. Der WDR produzierte einen kleinen Beitrag mit ihm: http://www.wdr.de/mediathek/html/regional/2008/10/18/lokd_01.xml?mzadd=7652

Im März 2010 wird He Who Knows auf Europatour gehen. Dafür suchen wir noch nach geeigneten Veranstaltungsorten.  He Who Knows wird von dem Cherokee Medizinmann Turtle Winds Firewalker und mir begleitet. Turtle Winds wird ihm assistieren, ich werde übersetzen. Wenn Sie Interesse haben bitte schreiben Sie an fire.walker@rocketmail.com oder  iyetuweslowaya.yahoo.com oder Telefon: 0049 - 171 – 88 02 893

Für die Tour von He Who Knows gibt es eine deutsche Webseite über He Who Knows:
www.lakotaindianer.com

Falls Sie Interesse an einer Veranstaltung mit Turtle Winds Firewalker haben, schreiben Sie bitte an fire.walker@rocketmail.com Auf der Webseite www.indianermedizinmann.com finden Sie mehr Informationen über den Cherokee Indianer Turtle Winds

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: He Who Knows
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:19:16 pm »
Looks like he is mixed up with Firewalker in Luxenbourg

http://www.nativeamericanfriends.com/about.html
To Old To Die Young

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:53:03 pm »
Yep...just noticed.

There are some red flags going up.
Just found it interesting that his ancestors came from the Crazy Horse AND Sitting Bull families....(sounds very good for promotional reasons). But there again, it might be true.

Could some of our Lakota friends enlighten us?

Renee

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:51:08 pm »
Got the following email sent to me, promoting a European tour with a Lakota Elder.

Maybe someone (Ingeborg?) in Germany could translate it?

I don´t see anything about ceremonies, so this might just be an Elder talking about his culture.
Any more info? Is he who he says he is?

more information and Ingeborg´s translation:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=948.90

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:40 pm »
Sitting Bull and Crazy horse are from two bands of the Lakota nation living in two different parts
of the Dakota not relatived to each other.
In Spirit

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »
Oh, thanks Renee, I see he has already been discussed.

Thanks, LaDonna, that´s what made me wonder, too.

"Let´s throw in all the wellknown names...it will sell better!"

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »
Way too funny cherokee and Lakota together
In Spirit

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:02 pm »
The text is not quite the same as the one I translated; the one sent to you is an offer to organize events with/for Don Hines aka He who Knows and Jervis. Here's the text in translation:

Hello,
the 81-year-old Lakota Elder He Who Knows will come to Europe in March. Would you be interested in organizing an event with him? Below more information about He Who Knows.
Sincerely,
lakota indian
The traditional Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Eye Tuwe Slo Waya - He Who Knows - was born on Pine Ridge in 1928.
He Who Knows comes from an ancient Lakota family, his paternal ancestors come from the family of Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull and fought in the battle of Little Big Horn. His mother was a Cherokee from the reservation in Carolina.

When He Who Knows was 15 years, a Cherokee friend from Carolina took him along to a rodeo. There, he earned the first five Dollars in his life. Never before did he see that much money. He decided to stay with the rodeo and became a professional rodeo rider and worked for several ranches as an Indian cowboy. He did rodeos until he was 50 years.

In October 2008, He Who Knows was in Europe for the first time. [German TV station] WDR produced a small film with him: [link omitted - that thing is abysmal!]

There is a German website about He Who Knows [...]

In March 2010, He Who Knows will go on a tour through Europe. We are therefore looking for suitable event locations. He Who Knows will be accompanied by the Cherokee medicine man Turtle Winds Firewalker and by me. I will translate. If you're interested, please write to fire.walker@.... or to iyetuweslowaya@... or telephone 0049 - 171 .....

Compared to the version at Jervis' website which I translated some time ago, Hines' bio has been updated somewhat: they added the bit that his mother now is said to have been Cherokee.

One must be hard pressed to tell one's elbow from other parts of the anatomy to write in full earnest that Hines' paternal ancestors were from the families of Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull and that *these ancestors* fought at the Little Bighorn. They most probably mean to tell us that Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull stayed at home that day and were not involved in this fight. [sigh] They'll probably assume Europeans are too daft to notice.

There's two things I'd like to know: is the Lakota version of Don Hine's alleged Lakota name correct?

Second: I read on a website (which I can't find again) that the name given to the Lone Ranger by his ndn sidekick allegedly translates to "He Who Knows"? Is that correct?

EYE TUWE SLO WAYA

Offline Superdog

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »

Second: I read on a website (which I can't find again) that the name given to the Lone Ranger by his ndn sidekick allegedly translates to "He Who Knows"? Is that correct?

Actually the term from the series doesn't truly come from any Indian language.  The "He who knows" theory comes from a few people who suspect it was lifted from a spanish phrase "Qui no sabe" which roughly translates as "He who knows nothing" or "Clueless".

The writers and directors of the earliest versions of the Lone Ranger lifted the term from a summer camp near Mackinac, Michigan that was run until 1940 by the father-in-law of the director.  The camp was called "Kamp Kee-Mo Sah-Bee" and the director was told that the term translated to "Trusty Scout".

That is backed up by the script writer Fran Striker, who also answered all the fan mail, and began his letters with "Ta-i ke-mo sah-bee" ("Greetings trusty scout").

So as far as the creators of the Lone Ranger were concerned "Trusty scout" was what Tonto called the Lone Ranger.  As far as real translation of where the term came from, there are numerous ideas, but if the story about the camp in Michigan is true then there is a theory about an Ojibway word "giimoozaabi", that roughly sounds the same and translates according to Ojibway-English dictionaries as "He who peeks, to peek" and, depending on its usage, could refer to someone who is a scout.  But I'd defer to an Ojibway speaker for a better translation.

Superdog

p.s.  Just as an afterthought, for those that didn't know, Jay Silverheels (the best known Tonto actor) was born with the name Harold Smith on the Six Nations reserve in Canada, and his father was a Major in the Canadian military and war hero of WWI...the most decorated Native Canadian soldier from that war.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:30:23 pm by Superdog »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:52:27 pm »
This is how it translates
EYE - you
TUWE--someone
SLOWAYA- I know

or I know someone you
In Spirit

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »

Thank you very much, Superdog and earthw7 !

So we can say Mr Don Hines doesn't seem to know too much Lakota.

winyan ohansica

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »
I have asked an elder on Pine Ridge about that guy and here is the answer:

You sure his name is not Mato Witco-Crazy Bear.  What a ripoff for the German Oyate.  I just hate it when ones uses the Lakota to validate their scam.

"Eye tuwe slowaya"-doesn't even make any sense.  He who knows- would be translated as "He Waslo ye".  Do people pay to see them?

I will ask the Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse family about that guy- I´m curious, what they think of him!

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »
over on Standing Rock he is not related to Sitting Bull
In Spirit

winyan ohansica

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 07:04:51 pm »
I checked with Ernie Lapointe (Sitting Bull familiy) and he defintely thinks, that this a fake!

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:57:50 am »
You may not be aware of this but Earth7 is a tribal historian on Standing Rock and if she says he is not related to Sitting Bull there is no need to check further