NAFPS Archives > Archive No. 1

NO LONGER A MATTER OF CONCERN: Chief Red Hawk aka Ed RedHawk Laughry

(1/6) > >>

William_Graywolf:
Searched here for this guy and didn't find anything on him.    His website is http://www.redhawkspeaks.com/   

The following is just a portion of his bio on his website.

"Chief Red Hawk is a Cherokee Indian, Founder of OPM Management Solutions an organization established for the advancement of cultural understanding, and is an advisory board member of the Old Negev Research Institute (ONRI), an institute dedicated to the study of ancient Egyptian writings found in the "High Cultures" of the American Southwest. He is the former Chief of the Bird-Band for the American Cherokee Confederacy of Utah (retired), and also sat on the tribal council of the American Cherokee of Georgia as their tribal Medicine Man and Spiritual Leader. He still holds the honorary title of "Chief." Red Hawk is a traditional dancer, recording artist, graphic/fine artist, and author. His new CD "The Songs Remember" won the 2004 TELLY Award for "Music Video of the Year and a letter of appreciation from President George Bush for his tribute to the victoms of September 11. The International Library of Poetry voted him as one of the best poets of 2002. He is a master storyteller and flute player, and was recently given "Diplomat" status by the International Olympic Committee for his performances at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City."

His own sister has said they are NOT cherokee descent, but Mexican.  For a time he was pretending to be Hawaiian.  He charges for his speaking engagements, is involved with the Mormon Church. 

Interesting fellow, I'd say and one to avoid.  I've been told that he can be pretty ugly when confronted with the truth of who he is.

Anyone know anything about him and his Bird tribe?
William

weheli:
Hi William,
I have located a Richard Redhawk under the American confederacy of Georgia, not a State or Federally recognized group nor is the Utah group. I am Cherokee and never heard of the Bird Band, I have heard of the Bird Clan. I did email the Gorgia group concerning this Redhawk. A red flag for me is he"was a medicine man and spiritual leader". WAS?????

I will post the links for this Richard Redhawk, author, if you believe this may be the same man. It does say Redhawk is a pseudonym for a Wyandot author and editor, who's real name is Clifford Trafzer.

Weheli :)

snorks:
OPM Management Solutions?

Office of Personal Management of the U.S. Government?  It sounds like a gov't contractor which bids on various management things that the U.S. gov puts out.

weheli:
I just received an email from Windwalker of the American Cherokee confederacy of Georgia, stating they had heard of this guy and requesting the link for his site, which I sent him. Will keep you updated.

Weheli :)

educatedindian:
Clifford Trafzer is not the same guy, he's much older than these photos. Trafzer is Wyandotte and teaches at UC Davis. He's actually the historian who trained the historian, Donna Akers, who trained me. Trafzer has done some very good history books, such as As Long as The Grass Grows and Rivers Flow.

Found Laughtry is a member of the "tribal council" of United Cherokee Nation, which I believe was Jerry Edwards old group. Looks like Edwards was kicked out or left. UCN looks to be mostly a heritage group wanting to gather all the people of distant Cherokee descent. Their tribal council page shows every last one of them in regalia, one of them with a silly name.
http://www.theunitedcherokeenation.com/id60.html
Principal Chief Two Eagles (perhaps 25-30 years old?)
Red Hawk listed as an "elder"
and my favorite, Two Feathers of the Heart

Their list of "clans", actually state orgs.
http://www.theunitedcherokeenation.com/id3.html

Notice that PCTE claims control over "clans" from Washington to Massachusetts to Florida, while living in Idaho.

http://www.theunitedcherokeenation.com/id5.html
"Red Hawk's new book is perfect for those who study religion and a must for anyone who is searching for the meaning of life.
The Tao of an Indian, a look at Native American religion and the comparative religion of Taoism, has just hit the book shelves. "This is the heaviest little book I ever read", said Brenda Haegley, booking agent for keynote speakers.
The book sell for $15.00 to members of the United Cherokee Nation and is autographed. A portion goes to the UCN to support the "Gathering."

He also was founder of United Indian Nation Inc. but couldn't find anything more on this group.

About his name: There were real Chief Red Hawks among the Lakota, Delaware, Shawnee, and Cayuse. Don't know of any among the Cherokee. The name also rung a bell with me. I remember the comic book character Apache Kid was named Red Hawk.

Where did you find links about his name being Laughtry, and this American Cherokee Confederacy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version