Author Topic: The "How dare you invade my privacy?!" response  (Read 4118 times)

Epiphany

The "How dare you invade my privacy?!" response
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:30 am »
Forum members here for years have been researching, noting trends and patterns, and passing on knowledge. I hope everyone who is new here (which I still am) takes the time to regularly read through the forums, including older and archived threads. This is a fantastic resource. I'm learning so much, thank you everyone.

When people we are researching respond, some of them respond indignantly that we are being invasive.

Since I'm sometimes digging around in records, I've been thinking about this. When I post a record that verifies that someone is not who they say they are, am I do something wrong?

The way I see it - if someone markets themselves as NDN, if they claim heritage as their personal brand and selling point, and if they are selling anything, especially ceremony - researching their claims is good consumer awareness. When we're in the market place, we get to look over the goods, we get to read the ingredients list, look over the table of contents/index/sources.

This isn't about blood quantum, enrollment, or physical appearance. Researching people's claims is not about being hateful and invasive, it's about consumer awareness and safety. Those of us who are outsiders like myself would be smart to learn, research, and think - rather than being vulnerable to potential frauds. And we can also offer help to those protecting their own cultures.

If someone is trying to sell me something, I should be able to ask questions and get answers. If the seller responds to my questions with bluster and outrage, this is possibly a sign that they are a con artist.

Some people are naive, believe their own false stories, are delusional, sometimes they have their own believed spiritual connection. Hopefully if they are behaving badly they will listen, learn, and change when this is brought to their attention.

Once they market themselves with specific claims of heritage, it is not wrong to research them, it is necessary and wise.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: The "How dare you invade my privacy?!" response
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:33:59 am »
Ditto Piff! You hit the nail on the head again. Good logic and good writing.  ;)

Lim lemtsh,

Diana

Autumn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:35:12 am »
Thank you, Piff (changed your screen name and you had me going for a while).

I agree with you.  I think we provide a valuable service.  It is not like we are going to someone's house and digging around in their garbage cans to get the "dirt" on them.  We are also not breaking into private computer records such as bank statements, etc.  What we find is freely available on the internet.  For me, I either Google or Bing it and then I report what I find here.

If someone has a guilty conscience and they find out that we have been doing research on them and have found out that they are not who they claim they are, then it is most likely that they will respond defensively.  That is their problem as far as I am concerned, not ours.  I do what I do here with the hope that it will prevent individuals from getting involved with some of these people.

Epiphany

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »
Apologies for name change confusion, just couldn't resist. :)

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
if they are PUBLIC in thier advertising then they are not exempt from scrutiny