Author Topic: John Allen Hill / John Two Hawks / John Twohawks  (Read 110261 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
John Allen Hill / John Two Hawks / John Twohawks
« on: June 29, 2005, 06:03:09 pm »
Got a request about him. Opinions? He's a musician most of the time. For me the problem is with his Medicine conference and retreats.
-----
This is the latest "news letter" from John Two-Hawks.  When you have found the time to "check him out" I will be very interested to
know your opinion. :-)
He has two websites:
http://www.nativecircle.com
http://www.johntwohawks.com

-----
May/June 2005 Edition

Hau kola na tiyospaye (Hello friends & extended family),
Welcome to all new Circle members!  Each section of the Circle of Nations newsletter is written 'facing' one of the four sacred winds, beginning with the east, then the south, west and finally the north.  This is to honor the old ways.  It is to teach and to help us to focus and find the center.  I have designed the Native Circle website in the same spirit.  I welcome you all to the Circle....

EAST - Wiyohinyanpata - Yellow (Four Winds)
“Into The West???, the 60 million dollar Steven Spielberg TNT 6-part Series, begins this weekend.  I am very much looking forward to it, even if with a bit of cautious optimism.  I was on the set during the filming with my friend Joseph Marshall, who was the Native American technical advisor for the majority of the filming.  He also plays the lead character in the last episode and narrates throughout the Series.  He is also the author of our new Children’s Book, by the way!  Anyway....  I chatted with Tatanka Means (Russell Means’ son) on set a bit, and talked with Joe (Marshall) a lot about how the ‘telling’ of our side of the history was being handled, and from all I saw and heard it appeared that every effort was being made to portray the First Nations’ people, culture and history in a truthful manner.  I completely trust the expertise and input of Joseph Marshall and the other Indian people I know and spoke with who are involved with the series, it is Hollywood I have a little trouble trusting.  I may be, as I said, a wee bit cautious in my optimistic expectations, but do I have a hunch that this thing is gonna be really great.  I mean really, really great.  Anyhow....

SOUTH - Itokagata - Red (Red Earth)
A word about the Mending Medicine Conference.  You can still register and save $50.00, if you register during the month of June.  The price of the Conference is $175 but if you reserve your space now you can attend for $125, to read about the Conference....

http://www.nativecircle.com/Conference.html
We also have vendor space available for the Conference.  An incredible bargain of $60 for the entire conference.
The Mending Medicine Retreat date has been changed to one week later, Oct 27th, because John will be in Finland performing with Nightwish on Oct 21st.   The retreat is filling up fast, so make sure you get your registration forms into Circle Studios soon.

WEST - Wiyohpeyata - Black or Blue (We are STILL Here!)
NORTH - Waziyata - White  (Words of Wisdom)
Your Oglala Lakota friend and brother,
John Two-Hawks

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: John Allen Hill / John Two Hawks / John Twohawks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 06:21:40 pm »
Notice who is presenting at the conference.

"O-si-yo. ? My name is Elizabeth Anne Wilson Schaef, Unega Uwohali Adanv Ageya. ? I am born of the Cherokee (Cha-la-gi) and Irish nations with a little bit of British blood thrown in for spice. ? My clan is the bird clan. ? My roots are in the Ozark hills... My early education was in these hills, fields and streams with my great grandmother, the spirit of my grandmothers and my mother, who are of a women’s medicine line....
My Lakota name is Wian Wamblishka Wakan and my Blackfoot name is Natoiwapaki having been adopted into both tribes. ? I have the responsibility of carrying two pipes: one given to me by an Overhill Cherokee medicine woman and spiritual leader, Lee Piper, and the other given to me by Eagle Bear (Frank Fools Crow) whose wife, Kate, asked me to keep and protect her ceremonial dress....
In spite of initially considering myself a non-writer, the creator has asked me to write books. ? I have published 13 books which have become bestsellers and been translated into many languages. ? Beyond Therapy, Beyond Science and Living in Process describe the healing work I teach throughout the world. ? When Society Becomes an Addict was a New York Times bestseller and nominated for best political book of the year. ? Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much has sold over two million copies. ? My favorite of all my books is Native Wisdom for White Minds. ? I take no credit for any of these books."

But read this.
http://www.consumeralertannewilsons.homestead.com/
This site has been developed to provide education and accurate information about this woman. ? Many people are mislead into believing that she is a credible, professionally recognized, psychologist or psychotherapist. ? They pay her, or her "trainees" ? money to attend ? "Intensives" ? without realizing that she is not a legitimate professional with appropriate experience and training to be able to assist them with very personal issues and concerns. Instead she is reported to use the techniques and practices of mind control and thought reform. These ? techniques and practices are commonly used by cult leaders. ? She has no credibility among feminist therapists, and would not be eligible for membership in the American Psychological Association, or eligible for a license or certification as a psychologist or psychotherapist in a significant number of States in the US. People report traumatic experiences as the result of their association with her."
Also a series of articles there questioning her credentials. I'll ask around cult watch groups about her. ?

And Overhill Cherokees? I asked Vance about them on his group. Those towns were destroyed before the 1750s. It's something used by lots of people making dubious claims, like Chicamauga only even older.
Most of the rest of his conference people are altmedicine types.

Offline Dave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 03:52:27 pm »
Two Hawks is on our beware list of individuals who
misrepresent themselves.  Yes he does know  Joe
Marshall.  Marshall has told me that, although he
knows of Two Hawks upbringing, he doesn’t know if Two Hawks is Indian or not.

Two Hawks might have some NDN heritage somewhere in his background, but he not enrolled as a Lakota, either Oglala or Sicangu.  The disturbing thing about this is that he uses the Lakota ploy as part of his money making endeavors.  I believe that his wife,
Peggy, is from Canada - I don’t know if she has any
Native heritage or not.  

At one point in time it was claimed that Two Hawks was taught by Dennis Eagle Horse and Joe Marshall.  Dennis Eagle Horse flatly states that he is not a Lakota spiritual teacher,  and that the only time he met Two Hawks was when he sold Two Hawks a shirt.   Eagle Horse’s daughter, Jennifer/ Mountain Doe, told us “My father is very upset to hear what John is doing and will be contacting him by phone to discuss it. Please do not spend money doing this and tell others you may know that wish to do it that it is a scam. Lakota spirituality is handed down through the tribe...not taught like this.???

Joe Marshall also has denied being a spiritual
teacher for Two Hawks.  “… he is not the only person who has labeled me his or her "spiritual teacher. I gave a talk to a non-Indian group and several of them later told others that they had been spiritually enlightened by "their spiritual guide," which, of course, was me in their perception. So what do we do? Make disclaimers before we open our mouths each time????

I think that Two Hawks has stopped using the names of the two individuals, and now merely says “spiritual teachers???.  It not as hard to get caught in a lie this way.  

In any case, I would caution anyone not to pay the bigbucks that Two Hawks charges for his “spiritual
retreats??? and to listen  with caution to anything he
might say or write.   He is also involved with
“Manataka??? to some extent.

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 10:10:41 pm »
Today I was driving home from my daughter's place in Jefferson City, Montana and had to drive by the Boulder Hot Springs - a very old, beautiful, turn-of-the-century spa - now owned and run by Anne Wilson-Schaef - thinking about her reminded me of where I first met her - it was at a AISES (American Indian Science and Engineering Society) conference - she was an invited speaker and on the "A" dinner list.  In fact it was Norb Hill who introduced me to her.  She was there having dinner with Norb, and other AISES elders - (the list includes Vine, Henri, etc) actually I've been told that she does lots of work for them - ?? go figure !!  

Delynn Darling

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 03:17:20 am »
It is sad to see people who obviously do not know John Two-Hawks hurling insults and accusations at him that are innacurate and false.  I know him very well, and I can tell you that nothing written here is even remotely close to the truth.   It is always a good bet to avoid passing judgement on people you do not know personally, because without knowing them, how can you really "judge" the content of their character??

Offline Dave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 04:11:16 am »
So, you deny that Two Hawks grew up in Michigan instead of the “Black Hills????  You support his claim that he is Lakota? Have you seen his tribal enrollment card or CDIB?  Okay, who is he enrolled with, the Oglala or Sicangu?  In Lansing City back in 1999 he claimed to be Potawatomi/Oglala.

This is just for starters until you can support your claim that nothing written here is close to the truth, don’t make blanket statements unless you can back them up.  Answer these three questions truthfully and then we can proceed to the other complaints against him.  Sadly, there are too many individuals such as yourself who have been duped by people like Two Hawks. Real American Indians are fighting to preserve and protect their cultures and traditions from those like Two Hawks and his followers.  

Offline Dave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 05:09:36 am »
Actually,  I should submit that claiming tribal enrollment where none exists for the purpose of monetary gain says all that needs to be said about one’s character - or lack thereof.  

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:38:23 am »
I wasn't sure where to put this thread at, and so put it here. This guy claims to be a Lakota Flute player, and seems to be making some big bucks off of what he does.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on this guy to see if he really is Lakota, or if he is just another fake making money off false claims to being NDN and playing Native flute.

http://www.johntwohawks.com/

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »
His name shows up on the American Indian Heritage Support Center as being associated with a "Jim Two Feathers".  I don’t know if it’s the same person or not. His name appears under individuals operating in Arkansas on the bottom. 

Jim "Two Feathers" May (Eureka Springs, AR, associates with John Two Hawks)

http://www.aihsc.info/ARMO_fraud.htm

Being nominated for or winning a Nammy is really no proof one way or the other as to whether or not someone is an American Indian.  Its more about music, so people can self identify however they want.  Maybe a Lakota could comment on whether or not they know him or his family.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:26 pm »
This was interesting.  He has something listed as a Mending Medicine Retreat and the charge to attend is $325

http://www.johntwohawks.com/theRetreatMMesArkansas.html

The Mending Medicine Retreat
with John Two-Hawks
At Little Portion Retreat Center
on More Mountain
in Eureka Springs, Arkansas

October 21st, 22nd, 23rd & 24th, 2010

1. 4-Day Retreat
Mending Medicine Retreat - Eureka Springs
4-Day Weekend Retreat
October 21, 22, 23 & 24, 2010
Offline Registration

Online Deposit & Registration

Retreat Cost - $325

Don't Miss This Very Special Retreat!
This 'Mending Medicine Retreat & Reunion Celebration'
is a special gathering. John Two-Hawks will share his
wisdom and teachings and present a powerful, intimateconcert, and yet what will make it so special is that so
many beautiful people from all the years of retreats and
gatherings will be present! New retreatants will be in
attendance as well, making this a wonderful gathering
of sharing warm memories and creating new ones.
This special reunion retreat celebration will be a time
for peaceful reflection, laughter, self-discovery and
interconnection. Through ancient Indigenous wisdom
and interactive sharing, great personal inner growth,
empowerment and transformation can be realized.
This retreat is about the power of balance, humility,
giving and interdependence. You will find yourself
slowing down, relaxing, and reconnecting with Spirit

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »
And thats not the only Retreat he charges money for

https://johntwohawks.com/onlineRetreatDeposit.asp

WE ONLY ACCEPT VISA or MASTERCARD from our Retreatants. Input into the appropriate box the total number of registration deposits you want to purchase, click the Calculate button at the bottom, then fill out the form and click the Secure Payment button! You will receive a detailed receipt of your payment for Retreat registration deposits via e-mail. Upon acceptance of your deposit, you will see a registration form. Please print and mail this form to the address provided. Thanks for registering, and we look forward to having you at the Retreat!

Creative Expression Retreat Arkansas Deposit - $75.00
Creative Expression Retreat Arkansas Full Registration! - $250.00
4-Day Mending Medicine Retreat Arkansas Deposit! - $75.00
4-Day Mending Medicine Retreat Arkansas Full Registration! - $325.00
Mending Medicine Retreat Ohio Deposit - $75.00
Mending Medicine Retreat Ohio Full Registration - $200.00
Flute Discovery Retreat Ohio Deposit - $75.00
Flute Discovery Retreat Ohio Full Registration - $175.00
Flute Discovery Retreat Arkansas Deposit - $75.00
Flute Discovery Retreat Arkansas Full Registration - $250.00
Women of Wisdom Retreat Ohio Deposit - $75.00
Women of Wisdom Retreat Ohio Full Registration - $150.00
Women of Wisdom Retreat Arkansas Deposit - $75.00
Women of Wisdom Retreat Arkansas Full Registration - $250.00
Men of Honor Retreat Ohio Deposit - $75.00
Men of Honor Retreat Ohio Full Registration - $150.00
Men of Honor Retreat Arkansas Deposit - $75.00
Men of Honor Retreat Arkansas Full Registration - $250.00

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:30:48 am »
And thats not the only Retreat he charges money for

https://johntwohawks.com/onlineRetreatDeposit.asp

Maybe I should have put this thread in research needed huh? I wasn't sure if there was one about him here already and didn't find one when I did a search.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 02:12:53 am »

He appears to be associated with this website called Native Circle. 

http://www.nativecircle.com/

And he has some writings here.  He has the seal of the Oglala Lakota Nation on the bottom.  I would assume that someone wouldn’t do this unless they were actually enrolled with the Oglala Lakota Nation or at least have an immediate family member who is.  Because that seal represents a Federally Recognized Indian Nation and not just someone with Lakota Heritage. 
http://www.nativecircle.com/issues.html

Here some samples of his writing. 

http://www.nativecircle.com/pppartindian.html"Part" Indian?

"Half-breed quarter breed one sixteen....  what do fractions really mean?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you imagine having to carry a card to 'prove' you are
white?  Or imagine that, in order to truly be acknowledged
as an African American, you had to be an 'enrolled member'!
This having to carry a white and/or blue CDIB (Certificate of
Degree of Indian Blood) card is, in my understanding, the very
definition of institutionalized racism.  Good people frequently
share with me that they are 'part Indian', or 'only a precentage
Indian'.  This is a sad testament to the legacy of their beautiful
Indian ancestors.  You see, the U.S. government is responsible
for the invention of the 'Indian blood quantum' lie.  It turns out
that this is quite a convenient way to 'kill Indians on paper'.
And what saddens me, is that most of our Tribal governments
have bought into the 'blood quantum' system which so divides
and separates us from who we are and has deeply damaged
the integrity of our ancient cultures.  We are people, not
fractions.  To those of you reading this who are of Indian
ancestry, I offer you some interesting thoughts...............
In Lakota tradition, we have a ceremony called Hunkapi, or,
the Making of Relatives.  In this ceremony, a person who is
not Lakota is brought in.  After the ceremony is complete it
was fully understood that this person was 100% completely
Lakota.  This was, and still is, the power of this ancient rite.
Somehow, many of us have forgotten the truth and wisdom
of this ceremony.  Many Indians today think the 'amount' of
Indian blood is what matters, when according to our own
sacred rites, it is clear that it is not only blood, but Spirit
which defines the essence of a human being.................

So.... to those of you with distant Indian ancestry who do
not quite know how to define it....  you need not identify
yourself as 'part-Indian'.  Know that you are 'of Indian
ancestry', or that you are 'descended from the (insert
tribe name here)'.  You are 100% descendant of all your
ancestors.  Learn all you can, become who you are.
You are beautiful!  You are Indian.............................."

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »
I thought this was interesting.  He does a performance with a Finish Metal Band.  Towards the end of the performance he starts speaking Lakota (or what appears to be) to the audience. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5VjT002DM

And here's a slideshow from his "Mending Medicne Retreat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUkziSZ71U

Offline Superdog

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »
The 2010 Grammy Nomination is true.

http://www.grammy.com/nominees