Author Topic: Fluffing the White Man  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Kevin

Fluffing the White Man
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:50:22 pm »
Taken from the Courier-Journal of Louisville, Ky  5/28/08

" Pow Wow Will Spread Spirit

It has been nearly 20 years since Jerry Thornton told anyone he was Cherokee. Thornton has since added "Two Feathers" to his name......

Thornton said years ago, American Indian heritage wasn't respected as it is today. Some families chose not to preserve or share their backgrounds, which makes it difficult for people for people to trace their ancestry.  However, after visiting grave sites and following other clues, he was able to trace his family to a wagon train that came to Kentucky in the 1880s. He said it carried a Cherokee wowan  who married one of his ancestors."

The article shows a picture of Two Feather's wife, who looks much like an average White woman but she is sporting  a turkey feather fan, some beads and a little pouch around her neck.

"     His wife, Vicky "Morning Star" Thornton, joined the Council five years ago and hasn't been able to trace her heritage back as far, but they are working on it "

Their grandson will be participating - his name is Little Hawk.
The blood is getting pretty thin, way too thin to making the newspaper as some kind of real-deal Native. I heard my great, great, great, great Grandpa was 1/64th Cherokee - feel free to call me Cuz of Bro is you're so inclined.