Author Topic: Henry Niese  (Read 26369 times)

shawnee68

Henry Niese
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:41:02 pm »
I recently attended a meeting at an urban center in Baltimore and this man, Henry Niese, showed up.  He is of "Cherokee Heritage" and is "teaching" people "Lakota ways" (and, I think, charging for the privilege).  I'm from a Sun Dance family and greeted him in Lakota to which he was unable to respond.  He says he was "taught" by Bill Eagle Feather, although my Iron Shell relatives do not know him.  He also talks about how many times he has pierced or given flesh, which was a huge red flag to me.  I couldn't fund any info on him on the boards, and he is an elder, so I want to know something before I speak of my concerns.  Anyone have any information about this guy?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

shawnee68

Re: Henry Niese
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:49:08 pm »
Thanks!  I saw some of that, too, as well as him lined up with the usual suspects like Silverhand, Jamie Sams, and Eagle Man.  Something's just not right here and I don't have more to go on than my gut.  With all these New Agers claiming that Indians (dead or alive) give them "secret knowledge", kinda makes you scratch your head (and kick some butt!).

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:34:13 am »
I understand that all too well. The thing for me is a "Cherokee" doing "Lakota spiritualality". THat smells bad to me.

Offline Skully

• 81 Forever
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:43 am »
White man posing as Indian. Next?
"Snitches are a dying breed." KK81, 2008

Offline Cat

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »
heya,

I didnt belong to this board but read the topic on Henry and wanted to comment on it from what i know.  I do know that henry had "said" that he was tight with Chief Turkey Tayac.. and i seem to remember some pretty big issues about him - I will find out and repost.  I do know that Chief Turkey and Eaglefeather were good friends.  I think this man obviously was using their names - he is a definite FRAUD.

Cat

Offline Found

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:30:35 pm »
There are three factions now of the Pisscataway. One is headed by Billy Tayac. The factionalism started when Billy thought he should be the chief when Turkey died. He thought he should inherit the position. I have been told that when Turkey died, Billy changed Turkey's last name from Proctor to Tayac. I don't know if this was legally done or not. Billy's birth name is also Proctor.

I have met Henry Niese and he is mixed blood like many people are. He is a gruff old man but is not a fraud. He he has done a lot work in person for Native people in Maryland prisons. It is not wise to make blanket statements against people you have not met personally, or at least that is what I think.

I heard Henry talk of Turkey Proctor. I have heard others in the Proctor family talk of Turkey and talk of Henry. I see no reason or benefit for Henry to lie.

Henry does not charge for ceremony, at least not the time I went there. We all helped tend to the property as payment and all brought food for the meal after the sweat. I think it unwise for whoever said they think he charges for ceremony to say so unless they know for a fact.

This urban Indian Center must be the Baltimore American Indian Center of which I have been invloved with since I was a kid.

Shouldn't this topic be under Research Needed?

Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:34:02 pm by Found »

frederica

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:46:56 pm »
Thanks for the information Found, I think the question would be why a Cherokee would be doing Lakota Spirituality? I think that is what peeks anyone's interest. Have you ever heard why?

Offline Found

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »
I wondered this too but it did not seem polite to ask directly when I was guest.

Offline MikePutfus

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:47:59 pm »
Thanks for the information Found, I think the question would be why a Cherokee would be doing Lakota Spirituality? I think that is what peeks anyone's interest. Have you ever heard why?

Kind of reminds me of the group that came down to Black Mesa wanting to do a sun dance. It ended up causing a lot of anger between a lot of Hopi and Navajo.

frederica

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
Makes you wonder, But the Sundancers were invited by RBG. The land dispute was already there. That one goes back to the 1800's. But like Found said there are times and circumstances when  it's just inappropiate to ask.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:34:25 pm by frederica »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 02:07:03 am »
so is he enrolled? why brag about our ways that is plain wrong
In Spirit

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 04:50:21 pm »
He wrote a book about his time with EagleFeather and I know of several non-natives who attend his Sundance.  I do not know enough about the man to comment either way but his book is out there to be read. 

frederica

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:01:01 am »
I think who was asking never came back.

Offline Cat

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 02:47:10 am »
There are three factions now of the Pisscataway. One is headed by Billy Tayac. The factionalism started when Billy thought he should be the chief when Turkey died. He thought he should inherit the position. I have been told that when Turkey died, Billy changed Turkey's last name from Proctor to Tayac. I don't know if this was legally done or not. Billy's birth name is also Proctor.

I have met Henry Niese and he is mixed blood like many people are. He is a gruff old man but is not a fraud. He he has done a lot work in person for Native people in Maryland prisons. It is not wise to make blanket statements against people you have not met personally, or at least that is what I think.

I heard Henry talk of Turkey Proctor. I have heard others in the Proctor family talk of Turkey and talk of Henry. I see no reason or benefit for Henry to lie.

Henry does not charge for ceremony, at least not the time I went there. We all helped tend to the property as payment and all brought food for the meal after the sweat. I think it unwise for whoever said they think he charges for ceremony to say so unless they know for a fact.

This urban Indian Center must be the Baltimore American Indian Center of which I have been invloved with since I was a kid.

Shouldn't this topic be under Research Needed?

Thanks for listening.

Hi,
I know the Tayak family personally, and Henry did try and tell everyone he was learning from and friends with Chief Turkey Tayak... the family all denies it... no association whatsoever... they have no reason to lie and are not liars.  As for Bill Eaglefeather the same goes there... I cant speak on Hanks blood but i can speak on what i know..he's a liar.
So that makes everything else he is saying suspect.
Cat