General > Member Introductions

William Graywolf Atkins

<< < (2/2)

Vance Hawkins:
Howdy William,

Sorry to hear about your father. My dad passed away in 1992 at the age of 78, so I guess your dad was about 5 years older than mine.

There are several interesting topics here about the Cherokee and you might be interested in some of them.

Welcome

vance

DIGOWELI:
Osiyo Graywolf,

Sounds like my history actually.   My greatgrandfather was in his mother's belly in 1838 when the army came to the door.   His father and 9 children escaped with his mother to Mississippi where they were taken in and given new names by an MD named Herndon Ray in Yallobusha County.  Both my father and I carry his name as an honor for what he did for our family.  

My greatgrandfather was born in Dr. Ray's house and grew up with him as Charles Jasper Reynolds.  When the Civil War came along Charles went to Arkansas to join the Cherokee regiment but that began the first conflict with the Cherokees of Oklahoma.   No problem, he joined an Arkansas regiment and fought with Watie and the others.   He was wounded and returned home but liked the Cherokees around Harrison Arkansas and moved there with his new wife.    At the time of the Dawes Rolls he had no inclination to support any connection to the US government or to the faction in Oklahoma that did.   He stayed put and eventually my Grandmother and her husband and children moved to Oklahoma to live amongst the Creeks.   My great uncle went with the Choctaw and was adopted by the then current Choctaw Chief because of his service to the people.   Wherever my family has been they have worked with our people and kept their own council.   Many of the family are not in support of me doing things like talking on this list but I believe the time has come for us to be in and take our place in the world as who we are.

oneh donada gohv'i

Ray Evans Harrell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version