Author Topic: Ancestral Voices/ Phillip Scott  (Read 142389 times)

Offline Odelle

Re: Ancestral Voices/ Phillip Scott
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 04:47:04 am »
Hi, Adam.

You seem like a well-meaning person who is truly unaware of the harm that your teacher, Scott, and your own words are doing. People who are "real"--not by "phenotype", but by the requirements of the community--Lakota have come out to criticize Scott's claims in force. There is a simple way for Scott to avoid this criticism and do the right thing. He can stop claiming to be a Lakota tradition-bearer. He can stop calling his ceremonies "sundances". If the religion he practices is so universal, containing truths, as you say, also found in Buddhist and Hindu texts, then why even call it Lakota? Lakota traditions are just that, the traditions of one people, the Lakota. Why not pick a different name? Unless the reason is to fool people who don't know better into thinking that what is being taught is, in fact, a Lakota spiritual practice being taught by a Lakota?

The complaint is always that Indigenous people are "selfish" "racists" who conspire to keep "universal truths" from people just because they are white. If that's really what's going on here, if the people who are criticizing Scott and others are all a bunch of selfish bigots, is their spirituality really something you want, anyway? If Lakota teachings and Hindu and Buddhist teachings are all the same, anyway, doesn't it make more sense to pursue truth from those traditions that welcome converts?
:>

Offline CaliNative

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:41 am »
There is a significant difference between being inside a lodge and observing from a distance.
For nearly ten years I have been one of the principal Fire tenders for Chief Phillip Scott.
This includes the lodges he conducts for the supporters at the Lampasas Texas Sundance.
Not only did I bring in the stones that sweltering year, I directly handed the water into the Chief
(in fact, he brings in water for every lodge). The person sitting 15 feet away was neither in the lodge nor near the door
and is grossly in error.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:44 pm »
There is a significant difference between being inside a lodge and observing from a distance.
For nearly ten years I have been one of the principal Fire tenders for Chief Phillip Scott.
This includes the lodges he conducts for the supporters at the Lampasas Texas Sundance.
Not only did I bring in the stones that sweltering year, I directly handed the water into the Chief
(in fact, he brings in water for every lodge). The person sitting 15 feet away was neither in the lodge nor near the door
and is grossly in error.

As a Lakota/Dakota woman who live my culture and knows my language and my way of life are you telling me
you know more about my culture then i do? "It is like the non native young man who came to my reservation
and we invited him to pray with us when we were done "he said your are doing it wrong"? What? You have to say
AHO! after your prayers, What? Aho is a Kiowa word why would Lakota/Dakota people say Aho it is not our word.
That is a pow-wow word that spread though the pow-wow culture then became a newagers word it is not a Lakota word."
Lesson of who we are take a life time to learn you can not come and particpate in our ways for a short time and think you know
about our ways. A man who charges for prayer no matter what it called is a fraud.
If this man is following Lakota way; why then is he not helping the reseervationn who he claims the teaching come from why is
he is Europe far a way from the Native people. Maybe because we would have to get after him for what he is doing.
So you carried the rocks in the lodge can you tell me the song for the rock carrying and who must sing it.
I find that outsider know so little of our culture, to me persnally this man should be punished for stealing what is not his
for his opersonal gain
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:34 pm »
I forgot how did he become a chief who are the witness and who did the ceremony
In Spirit

Offline graydove

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »
Accusations made against Chief Phillip Scott are false.  For example, one contributor to this site stated in November of 2012: “Many of his former students were traumatized by the ordeals they endured, as he is a known manipulator of vulnerable women.  He accepts men into his circle as well, but definitely preys upon the women.”  I have known the Chief for seven years.  He is a leader with integrity and honor.  In this time, I have been acquainted with the majority of women students, as well as many other women (and men) who participate in the ceremonies he conducts.  Contrary to your contributor’s assertions, I would not describe any of these women as particularly “vulnerable” or otherwise incapable of exercising appropriate discrimination in selecting a Spiritual guide.  As an attorney for more than 30 years, I am neither vulnerable nor easily preyed upon.  Actually, the accusations made by your contributor are insulting to women.  To put it bluntly, women are and feel safe with the Chief because he has deep respect and high regard for us.  This is the truth.

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »
It is the truth, Graydove, that Phillips is making false claims and misappropriating a culture he is not part of. Stealing and bastardizing their ways.

I don't call that respect or high regard for anyone.
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Epiphany

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:46 am »
I as a woman am not insulted by the accusations made against Philip Scott. If I was one of his victims, I would not be insulted by anyone describing me as having been vulnerable to Philip Scott's actions.

I would learn that the fact I was vulnerable to a predator does not mean that I was somehow inferior, less intelligent, or unable to otherwise exercise good judgement. I would learn that predators prey on intelligent strong people too  (including attorneys), that I can learn how to be more discerning next time, and that blaming myself serves no one.

I am however insulted by those who blame victims. Also by predators who send others, such as yourself Graydove, to do their work for them.

Offline PhillipScott

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 02:11:06 am »
On the 26th of June 2012, Mr. Al Carroll sent a rather unkind e-mail as a reply to my request the previous day for expunging my name from the NAF website. After a summer of travel and High ceremonies (including the honour of assisting in an emergency birth during a Sundance on the Rez), I responded in September to his e-mail. Though he gave his word that “all” of our exchanges would be “public” (and I even granted him permission to post it), he failed to include my response. Therefore, it is below:

Good Morning Mr. Carroll,

Returned from summer travels to receive your polemic.

As a preface to this transmission, employing the impersonal medium of the internet for matters of this nature is not my preferred method of communication. Since you have not provided a telephone number, I am resorting to the written word.

A dear friend and colleague of mine, a traditional Medicine man and peacekeeper from Zimbabwe, states there are no enemies simply individuals whose stories we do not know. Therefore, I am not your enemy (personally, concurring with his sentiments, I do not regard you as one either, merely as an individual who is misinformed).

Without equivocation, it is evident from your e-mail you know absolutely nothing about me, my life, Path, sacrifices and service.

As a reminder, in the Native Way, truth and knowledge are derived from direct experience. Since you have never met me nor participated in ceremony with me and therefore lack any direct personal experience, you are neither in a position to assert that I am a "fraud" nor render any judgement whatsoever. In fact such accusations indicate operating from assumptions, here-say, ignorance and projections. Operating from such fallacies, I suspect it applies to the other Chiefs and individuals you condemn in your e-mail as well for your facts and descriptions of them are equally erroneous.

For the record, you were not present at the ceremony on my behalf conducted by Chief Leonard Crow Dog Sr. (with circa four hundred people in attendance, including 6 other Chiefs) in June of 2003. Being one of the original Spiritual leaders of the American Indian Movement, which was instrumental in forging solidarity, pride, visibility and a voice for Indigenous people in North America (and paved the way for other Indigenous Rights organizations), it is disrespectful to speak disparagingly and critically about an elder and warrior who continues to tirelessly serve and literally placed his life on the line for his Nation and other Native peoples.

For your edification, many Sundance ceremonies throughout Turtle Island are now intertribal. There are several nations represented with certain individuals from their peoples being recognized as Ceremonial Chiefs in the Lakota, Dakota, Nakota, and other Plains Nations, traditions. As for myself, faithfully honouring directives from my Ancestors in Dreams, I have Sundanced for the past 20 consecutive years in South Dakota, Texas and Arizona. I have attended and Danced in two Sundances annually since 2004. It does not reflect well upon a person's character who denigrates the service of those who Pray, Dance and literally Sacrifice on behalf of All of our Relations. If you have not done so already, I encourage you to at least support a Sundance in order for you to begin to understand the magnitude and intensity of the ceremony to which I refer.

In the name and spirit of clarity, I have never claimed to be an enrolled member with the CNO. I simply cite my Ancestry. In addition, though adopted, I have made no claim to be a Lakota Chief. Rather, I have been conferred with the role and responsibilities of a ceremonial Chief in the Lakota tradition. My personal biography bears out these distinctions. Trained and sanctioned by old timers (some of whom have already passed into the Spirit World), as for the traditional ceremonies I conduct, there never has been nor will there ever be a charge. Everyone is welcome (including you) and there are no "followers".

Casting aspersions upon my character and reputation and disseminating false information regarding myself (and others) is tantamount to libel and slander.

As previously articulated, rather than further exchanges via the internet, personal conversation with you is preferred and, if warranted, requested.

Trusting I will hear from you directly and possibly learn of your attendance at a Sundance in the future - to witness and experience the Prayers and Sacrifices of the Dancers, Helpers and Chiefs for individuals like yourself and for the benefit of All of our Relations.

Provided it is preserved in its entirety (and per your word, sans telephone numbers and e-mails), I grant you permission to post my response on your website.

Prayers and Blessings to you and your entire family...Hece Tu Elo,
Phillip Scott

Offline PhillipScott

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 03:04:50 am »
It has been quite entertaining to read of my purported exploits written by people who have never met me nor have essentially any experience of or with me whatsoever. Equally fascinating that individuals unfamiliar with my personal history can assert who my Medicine teachers have been. For the record, commentators who claim to know (and attempt to cite) with whom I have trained yet have never consulted with me are incorrect.

The root of the word ignorance is to ignore – namely, the truth.  Speculation, assumptions and projections are also forms of ignorance.

Apparently many of the commentators on this website are not well versed in or travelled on the Red Road - otherwise they would understand and respect that what transpires in ceremony, stays within ceremony. Prayers and healing are sacrosanct.

Due to the possibility of promoting further ignorance and misinformation if allegations on this website concerning myself are to be believed, I make this one exception:

For the edification of any readers, who may have little or no exposure to and experience with Native traditions (and therefore be grossly mislead by spurious information on this website), be advised it is common for individuals with serious afflictions who have exhausted all possibilities of assistance within the allopathic paradigm, to seek out Indigenous healing, often as a last resort. This was the case with the epileptic who attended one of the Lodges. What the commentator failed to mention in the post (and therefore observe at the lodge site) was that Sacred Tobacco was offered to request a healing (hence the reason for her specific positioning in the Lodge). She informed and warned me in advance that, on account of the severity of her condition, there was a high probability of a seizure occurring during the ceremony.  Her caveat was correct. Based upon my experience as a ceremonial leader as well as a licensed EMT, she felt confident in my qualifications to make such a request and completely safe in my capabilities to address any situations regarding her welfare that may arise. Her assessment was equally correct. Days after the ceremony, as a follow up, she reported there was a significant decrease in the frequency, intensity and duration of her seizures.

Therefore, in response to the accusation of "seizures" occurring in the traditional Lodges I conduct, there has been only one instance. It was not a result of dehydration, derelict actions or the ceremony itself. It is a matter of causality. The Inipi was not the cause of the seizure. Rather, the seizure was an effect of a preexisting condition (epilepsy), which is the actual underlying cause and the reason for which healing was sought and received.

In truth, the Inipi had a salubrious effect upon her condition. The Spirits Doctored her, diminishing her suffering. Prayers answered.

For those compelled to post negatively with absolutely no direct knowledge of and/or little or no experience with myself, I share a relevant story from the Dharma:

"One evening, the Buddha arose from his meditation and was seated outside the eastern gate of the park where he was staying.  Then, King Pasenadi, arriving for a visit, greeted the Buddha and took a seat to one side.  Just at that time, not so far away, a large group of wandering ascetics was walking by.  Carrying their alms bowls, some of these ascetics wore long matted hair, some were naked, some wore only a single robe, and some were wanderers.  When they had passed by, the king asked the Buddha, "Can any of those ascetics be considered as being either arhats or on the path to arhatship?'  The Buddha responded, 'It is by living a life in common with a person that we learn of that person's moral character; and then only if having insight ourselves, we have watched a person for a long time.  It is only in conversation with a person that we learn of that person's wisdom and clarity of heart; and then only if, having insight ourselves, we have paid attention for a long time.  It is during times of trouble that we learn of another's fortitude; and then only if, having insight ourselves, we have paid careful attention for a long time.'"

In terms of detractors on the website, there has been only one individual – the administrator, Sky Davis – who has spoken with me. Though at the conclusion of our conversation we essentially concurred to agree to disagree, she has my respect and appreciation for she alone has had the courage and understanding to communicate directly with me, which is my preference and according to my experience, the traditional Native way. Hece Tu Elo and Fare Thee Well, Relatives…Mitakuye Oyasin.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
So Phil I am not ignorance of the ways of my people there are My Ways! I live my ways and Oh wait i live on my reservation among my people
i do have that right to tell you that you are doing wrong. Second when we ask who taught you who are your witnesses as people we have the right to know.
Our elder will always start with this who taught me and this who I am related too these are my witnesses. Back in the day we all had four witness that
would stand up and say yes this was done. I have to say the term Red Road was made in the 1970s so it is not an old traditions just
a coin word for those who learned just a little part of our ways. I can tell you our history and culture and i know you are doing wrong.
If you were doing thing right you would be among the Native people helping instead of making money off poor people.
For all you who say you follow our ways why are you not on the reservation helping?
And I know our people and you are judge by what the people say i say you are wrong.
As A. Looking Horse said at a meeting i attended for all of you non native who uses our ways please give back your pipes.
No one should use our ceremonies unless you speak our language all medicine should used to heal the Native people first
then we can help others and right now our people need help instead of people coming and abusing our ways for their personal gain.
Hetcuyelo you are not my relative

If you want to do Buddha then do buddha dont mix it with Native belief then if you want to write my language please write it correctly

In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »
oh and we know that Crow Dog has made a lot of fake chiefs
and fake medicine men
In Spirit

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:02 am »
My godfather who is Dakota enrolled at Ft Peck once said "who ever gave Leonard Crow Dog the right to make chiefs? And if he is going to make people chiefs why is making non LDN people a chief?"

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 02:39:44 am »
agree
In Spirit

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 06:41:00 am »
we have laws protecting religious freedom......i wish we had law protecting religious PRIVACY

Offline salright

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:47 am »
I am writing in response to the rhetoric surrounding Chief Phillip Scott.  I have been in close association with the Chief for almost 7 years now.  I have lodged with him many,many times.  Ihave been in every lodge that he's poured for supporters at the Lone Star Sundance since 2007. The reports of misconduct, withholding water in lodges and disrespectful attitudes and acts toward women are completely untrue.  He has deep respect for the feminine - supporting and encouraging us to cultivate and maintain our wisdom and strength and to honor our ceremonies. He is relentless in his protection not only of women but of Mother Earth as well.

There is a claim he did not bring water into one of the supporter lodges at the Lampasas, Texas Sundance. I was in the lodge that year. I can say with certainty that Water was brought in and poured on the stones. He also passed it around for the participants to drink.I cannot remember a time when he hasn't brought water in to the lodge.  To forbid water would be so abhorrent, I would remember. What he actually said was the heat was a way for the supporters to appreciate and understand in some small measure the sacrifice of the Dancers. (He makes a point not to use the term suffering).

Clearly, one of your commentators has never participated in a Lodge. Otherwise s/he would know that dehydration is a consequence of purification in this manner (hence the reason for the common term "sweat").  What distinguishes Chief Phillip from other ceremonial leaders and water pourers is not only does he advise participants to hydrate well prior to entering the Inipi, but coconut water, other electrolyte beverages and water are are available for people to rehydrate afterward.

There is much talk about him but no one is talking WITH him. I would encourage you to speak with the Chief directly.  One of the comments mentions his mentors.  Aware of the traditional Medicine people with whom he's apprenticed, the commentator is inaccurate regarding the Chief's teachers. More unfounded hearsay and gossip on this website. And if there is any question regarding his authenticity of being a Chief, I can tell you this: At the 2007 Sundance, our camp prepared and served lunch to Chief Leonard CrowDog Sr., his wife and his family on one of the days of the dance.  It was raining and had cooled down quite a bit. Many attendees told us how relieved they were to see that we had prepared a hearty, hot meal for them. At the end of the feast, Chief Leonard Crow Dog Sr.  stood up and declared in front of everyone, "Hey nephew! You are a good Chief!"

Take your questions and concerns to Chief Phillip directly.  Better still have the courage to talk with him face to face. It is the respectful thing to do and demonstrates integrity.