General > Non-Frauds

Lakota-Dakota-Nakota

<< < (5/7) > >>

E.P. Grondine:
Hi tuschkehoma -

A real pleasure, and a few points

--- Quote from: tuschkahouma on February 17, 2011, 04:48:42 am ---I remember a Kickapoo elder named Reggie in Lawrence, KS, who spoke of when his people fought the Dakota which was probably between 1680 and 1720 and he spoke of the battles being in Illinois and Wisconsin. This was a story passed down to him which he shared with me. This battle was east of the Mississippi River.

--- End quote ---

The Kickapoo occupied the White River system in Indiana, with their main center at Worthington, Indiana. The date for one of those battles may have been around 1100, but its hard to say.

1680-1720 was the time of the Five Nations attacks in the west, and the subsequent movement of the Kickapoo to the Kankakee River.

I hope you have written Reggie's traditions down somewhere.

--- Quote from: tuschkahouma on February 17, 2011, 04:48:42 am ---You made me just remember the split between the Yanktonai and the Stoney or Assiniboine above Minnesota in the 1700's.

--- End quote ---

In her book Fossil Legends of the First Americana, Adrienne Mayor states that there are only 200 Assiniboine left. That can't be right.

The Ocanachee were ethnically distinct from Sioux, and very similar to the Yuchi. The few surviving Ocanachee obtained refuge with the Saponi and other  peoples after they were nearly completely wiped out by the Jamestown colonists.

E.P. Grondine:

--- Quote from: earthw7 on February 17, 2011, 02:49:19 pm ---And we know we travel from the tip of South America up the coast of Mexico
to the Mississippi River to Michigan then into Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and today South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana

--- End quote ---

Hi earthw7,

I am not one to lecture anyone on their own history, but I will note that you have to remember what was passed on by the elders of each nation, and keep each nation's tradition distinct, and that distinct from your own interpretation.

Assiniboine memories of events are different than yours.

I have been told that in this case the proper way is for each person to express their view, and for the other to listen.

The mystery of the eastern Siouxian peoples has baffled many people. I have my view, as best I could form it, but again I remind you that it may be wrong. We all do our best to get the words and facts straight.

Do you know what mt DNA haplogroups Siouxian peoples carry?

earthw7:
which part of the Assiniboine? The Assiniboine are Cree people who mixed with Ihunktonwanan people so their language is a mixture of Cree and Dakota. According to the winter counts they formed one nation around the 1600

AnnOminous:
I strongly disagree with your claim here, earth.  The Assiniboin First Nations in Canada are linguistically Siouan.  I have never, ever, heard their oral history involve an historical relationship to the Cree other than as trade partners.  Where are you getting this information from? 

earthw7:
From our winter counts, tell when we were the stoney sioux created and from whom
i love to hear all the stories from the nations i was estmating dates but could be further back
it is told to us that they are our relatives

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version